Titan reveals Star Trek Comic!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, May 10, 2009.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

[​IMG]
    [LEFT]
    So, today's Sunday Mirror (a newspaper I would ordinarily go nowhere near) had a free special edition of Star Trek Magazine from Titan Magazines. A 16-page "taster" issue, including what I imagine are interviews from the real issue 145, the Movie Souvenir Special.

[/LEFT]
    However, the major surprise came on the back cover. As well as the advertisment for Star Trek Magazine, the back cover includes the first announcement of Star Trek Comic, a new release from Titan! This is the first I've heard of this release - and it is a bit of a surprise.

The bumper first issue is apparently out now (although I didn't spot it anywhere after looking around for Trek merchandise on Friday afternoon after the film), and is 68 pages (I presume future issues will be 32 pages or similar). The issue features the first two issues of the film prequel Countdown, as well as various other features, and film stickers. Obviously, it is intended for a younger audience, but I shall be picking it up as soon as I locate it!

I think this is a UK-only release, as there's nothing on Titan's US website about it.

More information can be found at Titan's official website here.

2. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to get this paper for the special edition magazine only. i will have a look.

3. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Stick a Starfleet badge on my PS3 - result.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Why is Darth Maul on the cover?

5. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

No, they're revised versions of some of the interviews I did with the cast during the period during and immediately after the filming of the movie, with all new illustrations from both the original series and the new film.[/LEFT]

Yes, it is UK only, and I spotted it in numerous places on Saturday. Like the movie souvenir issue, we couldn't release this until official movie opening date (Friday) so some places had it immediately, others got it Saturday.
    Subscribers worldwide should have their copies of the Movie Souvenir issue today.

Paul Simpson
    Editor, Star Trek Magazine

6. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

News of the comic came out of nowhere for me; picked up #145 on Saturday - and there was the advert! Unfortunately, I'd already left the shop by then and couldn't head back, but will definitely get the comic as soon as possible!

Titan have had a chequered history with comics, so I hope this one does well. I'm curious as to what comic strips are upcoming after Countdown (assuming this is an ongoing comic)... more IDW (given Titan's relationship with the company as evidenced by the Transformers comic) probably.

7. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I was very happy to see this comic in my local W H Smiths the other day, and immediately snapped it up. It looks okay, and I really hope it continues for a while; kids these days need this kind of thing IMO. I wonder what stories they'll be printing after Countdown? I'd love them to do Crew, The Last Generation or The Wrath of Khan. I also reckon it would be nice if they included summaries of various TV episodes and films, to fill new fans in on what came before the new film.

8. Judge King

Judge King Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's Nero, the antagonist of Star Trek (2009 Film).

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I know, I was joking! With the red coloring on that cover Nero looks a LOT like Maul.

10. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool comic. And good value for those of us who haven't read "Countdown" yet - we got issues #1 and #2 in one bundle! Will the comic be reprinting two full US comics every issue?

It's kind of nice seeing Trek get a mainly-geared-for-kids kind of publication again. I have craziy nostalgic fondness for the old Marvel Star Trek: The Next Generation comic, and I hope this one has "legs"...

but I'm also curious as to where it'll be going when "Countdown" has finished.