Clone Wars '05 Series Under Embargo?!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Thanks to the excitement over the new Clone Wars series, I figured I might as well buy the second volume of the original Clone Wars toon (I already own the first one). I go on Amazon... not available new, and copies sell for $25 used! I check all the major websites, no-one is selling them. I go to the FYE in the mall and they don't have any new or used. On E-Bay someone was selling one saying it was "out of print".

Has Lucas yanked the original Clone Wars cartoon from the store shelves, like the Disney Vault?

I've noticed that in all the interviews regarding the new series, everyone involved always plays down the original series, calling it a "micro" series or an "experiment".

Did Lucas do this to avoid name brand confusion between the old show and the new show since the only difference in their titles is a "THE"?

You would think that the old show would sell like crazy as a tie-in and that'd be more money to make. I'm perplexed.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a shame, the old Clone Wars series was damn good and a lot better than the current Clone Wars.

By the way, what is the continuity situation between the two Clone Wars series? Current Clone Wars features Anakin as a Jedi Knight, but Assajj Ventress(sp) is alive. In the old Clone Wars series, Anakin wasn't made a Knight until after he killed Assajj Ventress. Clearly they aren't ignoring the other series, since Ventress was a character created for it, but are they rewriting it to fit the needs of the current one?

3. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ventress never died on the cartoon as she has appeared in later continuity. We don't know her final fate.

Given the continuity issues and the potential for confusion, I'm not too surprised that the CW microseries is out of print.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh well, I didn't realize Ventress's apparent death was already established as a non-death. What she do, fall in the same plot hole that apparently saved Boba Fett's life?

5. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they're just out of print right now? I seem to remember the Episodes 1 and 2 DVDs being out of print for a little while before Episode 3 came out in theaters.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Star Wars: Clone Wars was released in a limited edition DVD print that had a shelf life period and copies were pulled after a set period of time. LucasFilm does it with all their major properties.

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Was she? I know she showed up in some novels around the same time, but I don't know which came first.

8. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to the new Essential Star Wars Chronology (which covers all stories and continuity from the Old Republic all the way through the New Jedi Order), Ventress supposedly had a near conversion to the light side, hinted to Obi-Wan that Coruscant would be an upcoming Separatist target, and "died" although later it is discovered that she actually faked her death and managed to escape to whereabouts unknown. I don't know what novel/comic all this takes place but it is apparently part of the chronology.

9. Breen Commando

Breen Commando Commander Red Shirt

I just bought both discs last week at Wal-Mart so they couldn't have been out of print...

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of the timeline, of the two original cartoon Clone Wars (vols 1 & 2), Volume 2 picks up straight where Vol. 1 left off, but shortly after that there's a big jump in the timeline. Notice Obi-Wan & Anakins hair changes from their original Episode II appearance to a more Episode III look. Then the rest of Vol.2 takes place right before the start of ROTS.

It would seem the new series takes place in between the two. (Though I've only seen the Clone Wars movie, not seen any of the CGI series episodes yet)

11. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I heard a month or so back, that Clone Wars and some others are out of print, maybe it was also DROIDS and those Ewok movies.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I noticed this was happening recently after the movie release. Maybe it will be added as an extra to some Clone Wars box set in future.

13. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Suckage. I was really hoping to get the series for a friend for xmas and perhaps catch up on it myself (I only saw a few eps).

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Lucasfilm, Fox, whoever say that the SE Original Trilogy DVDs (the ones with the SE and the non-animorphic originals) were a limited release?

They came out in 2006 and I'm sure I remember reading they wouldn't be available after December 31 2006... but of course you can still easily get them anywhere now nearly two years on

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When a DVD goes "out of print" it generally doesn't mean that it's yanked from the shelves and hidden away in a literal vault somewhere. It just means no more copies are being produced. Stores continue to sell the DVD until they run out of stock.

16. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

Luckily I found this out 2 months ago, and I grabbed all of those (except for Ewoks) at my nearest electronic stores when I heard that they were out of print.

When I saw "Clone Wars, Vol. 1 & 2" both on sale used for $25 each on Amazon.com, I knew I had to go to the store and buy the last 2-3 remaining used copies on the shelves.

It turnsout that my 8 and 5 year old cousins really enjoyed watching them! :)

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I continue to see the "limited release" original cut OT movies in every store I peruse. Sounds like I should check out Walmart for Clone Wars 2!

I'm choosing to believe that CGI-Clone Wars takes place after Toon-CW1 and that opening knighting scene in Toon-CW2 and then before the bulk of Toon-CW2 which took place immediately prior to SITH. If my hazy memory serves correctly, Anakin's knighting took place 1 year into the war which lasted 3 years, so they would have 2 years of continuity to deal with in their new CGI-toon.

18. Chris227

Chris227 Lieutenant Commander

Ventress's final appearence as far as the Clone Wars timeline is concerned is in the Dark Horse comic series Obsession, which also reveals the fate of Durge (The bounty hunter Obi-Wan fought).

In "real life" Ventress made her debut in the comic Jedi:Mace Windu. I'm not sure where in the timeline this is, though. She continued to make many appearences in the Clone Wars-set comics (In Republic and Jedi, that is) until Obsession.

I'm beginning to think that there are at least two Clone Wars continuities-the one followed by the animated series (both of them) and the one followed by the novels and the comics. There's just too much continuity errors between the two. Sort of like all those STAR TREK comics/novels which potray different versions of the Enterprise's first or final missions.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It would make sense... millions see the cartoon but only thousands read the comic books. I love Star Wars like crazy but I've never read any of the comics aside from Dark Empire (which is in-continuity with the novel line). Of course the comics also created Aayala Secura and Quinlan Vos...

20. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right now, the continuity experts say that everything before Anakin's knighting happened within about six months of the Battle of Geonosis, and everything after his knighting in previously published material will be within a few months of the Battle of Coruscant, despite the internal references and timelines. They want to give the new TV series as much time as possible to play in. It's a little screwed up, but it's not that much worse than trying to track the lives of Han, Luke, and Leia in the OT period, where they would not have had time to use the john if they had all those adventures in the various comics and books.