Voyager and MBTI

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ryva Brall, Apr 7, 2013.

1. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Plus, not one but two xenophobic terrorists!

OK, one was a terrorist against her xenophobic society, who made him glow in the dark.

The other was a real xenophobic terrorist who tried to kill him with an exploding console.

I gotta say, I enjoyed watching Harry with the ladies. His choices of women made my choices of men look absolutely inspired!

2. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I don't care if he was boring, I always liked Harry. But then, I like my guys extra-nerdy.
    Dabo boys. Now THERE'S an idea with some merit. Quark would have drawn in a lot more female customers. Especially if he'd had a ladies' night. He would have made a fortune off of Jadzia alone.

And this has officially gone way off-topic. :lol: Quick, what type do you think Seska was?

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the books Ro convinces Quark to have Dabo boys and it is a success.

Seska is an ESTP but hard to type as she seems to have some personality disorder going on above cultural differences.

4. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, being bat-crap crazy makes it hard to determine a person's type.

I am a spectacular failure when it comes to the Star Trek novels. I've only read one, and I don't remember which one it was, or even what it was about. I'd love to remedy that, though; I just don't want this to become a "Tell me your favorite Trek novels" thread.

5. teacake

All the threads on this forum morph into one very loud conversation so I wouldn't worry too much. Or you can start talking about the novels in some other thread like the fanfic one or start VOY specific thread so it doesn't get moved to Treklit or..

KingDaniel has read everything except apparently Mosaic which is Janeway's life story and one of my top 10 Treklit books. A lot of Treklit is awful IMO but there are some real gems. I have far more than I've gotten around to reading, I'm currently reading Stargate Atlantis books.

6. gantoris

gantoris Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think Tuvok is most definitely an INTP.

[​IMG]

That and the fact that I can see a lot of myself in that character.

7. teacake

Wow I wrote some nice posts in this thread.. four years ago.

8. Whispers of Ressikan

Whispers of Ressikan Cadet Newbie

You certainly did! :D

With Janeway I get you and agree with on the S, but I feel surprised that no one here has suggested Janeway as an ESTP, the promoter as that for me seems to fit her down to a tee, the federation version of Quark, whereas Quark promotes only himself, Janeway promotes Federation values and ideals throughout the Delta Quadrant. She brings to the table all the same wit, guile, and tenacious cunning that Quark has, a flair for diplomacy, always on the look out for opportunities, constantly pouring over data (whether scientific, or economic) and to quote from wikipedia:

Which I feel perfectly describes both Janeway and Quark. Definitely the artist (working alongside Da Vinci, and sculpting clay with him), and definitely one to enjoy and indulge in the finer things in life (Eggs Benedict, a Bathtub, Ballet), definitely one for the creature comforts :). I rest my case your honour.

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

What about Kes?

10. Whispers of Ressikan

I would type Kes as a clear ISFJ.

11. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I'm an INTP,

I think the doctor is an INTP, too. He's rather pedantic as we INTPs tend to be and interested in study and research.

Neelix - ESFJ, which I once saw described as having hospitality as one of their main traits.

Tom - ESFP, no doubt

Seven of Nine - Likely INTJ, though could fit INTP, too

B'Elanna - hard to peg, but she's definitely a feeler, as I would imagine most Klingons are.

Kes - INFP, no doubt

12. Whispers of Ressikan

I agree with you with Seven the Doctor, and Tom (though I think Seven definitely shows the J more than the P).

With B'Elanna, I also felt uncertain though for me she felt more of an ISFP / ISTP (probably because they both share Se and Ni in the same places), but the more I think about it the more confident I feel about typing her as an ISTP with a strong F which she only shows when conflict arises (whether real or perceived); reading the wikipedia page on ISTPs makes it obvious to me that this fits her like a glove. She definitely shows Fe and not Fi (which suggests ISTP) and she definitely doesn't seem very competent at using it as she makes *so* many mistakes when it comes to sensing the feelings of others as well as knowing her own feelings, so yes, most definitely an ISTP.

Nelix though, I think you have gotten one letter out, definitely more of a P than a J, i.e. an ENFP; he talks incessently and doesn't and takes a long while to realise that his audience does not appreciate it, something an ESFJ would, making a quick judgement that "okay, I speak too much, I shut up now", rather than doubting, and continue to babble until they feel confident enough that they should stop talking. The same goes with Ezri Dax from DS9, also an ENFP in my view (actually I find their personalities virtually indistinguishable from one another).

Kes however, what makes you so sure about her as an INFP, she seems very easily moved, to get up and protect people when they need protecting compared with the INFP; Jake Sisko, seems about as INFP as they come, he defends Nog, yes, but only when really pushed to it, when he sees no-one else will do it and feels moved enough by the injustice AND forced into doing so by his authenticity (his dominant-Fi) seeing that no one else wants to do anything about it. An INFP would much rather take a back seat, observe, and study their own feelings, and perhaps write about them, in order to help others from a distance. Kes on the other hand you will find as the first person offering to help, offering suggestions with the shy extrovertness of a Protector, throwing herself in using her hands to help (Nurse, Hydroponics, etcetera), so very much an S, and very much an ISFJ, much like Councillor Troi.

I say this as an INFx, when I test I come out as an 50/50 on P/J which feels pretty much right for me and something I continue to explore within myself.

13. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

Yet, being "shy" doesn't equal "introvert". I'm not at ALL shy, yet I am an INTP.

I see Kes as INFP because she is so idealistic. I don't see Jake as an INFP, because he seems rather unfeeling at times.

14. Whispers of Ressikan

Well that depends on what you mean by "feeling" and "idealistic", in the world of MBTI, these terms have quite different meanings.

Here "feeling" does not mean "has feelings", because we all have feelings, but rather it describes how we make decisions, do we tend to make decisions based more on our feelings, or more on what we think. So the term "unfeeling" makes no sense here as it does not represent the opposite of the term used.

Likewise, the Keirsey's temperament "idealist", the NFs does not mean "follows their ideals", but rather do they make decisions based on their feelings, of ideal fantasies based on how they want the world to be, living their life in a dream world, thinking in the abstract. That certainly does not describe Kes, as her idealism stays very focused on the here and now, what she can do *now* to help people, not abstract, but real.

However with Jake we do see this idealist behaviour, he follows his feelings, he dreams of becoming a writer, and he does, in his writing he expresses and exposes his deep feelings, we see his idealistic nature coming through in "Explorers", we get to see into his dream world, his fantasies of becoming a writer, and we see him follow his idealism. Later on in "...Nor the Battle to the Strong" I think we see his INFPness at his strongest, deeply introspective interrogating his feelings on war, very much thinking in the abstract. This strong sense of introspective exists as probably the most defining trait of INFPs, assessing their feelings in the abstract, focussing on inner-truth.

Another important episode for Jake, "The Visitor", we see him spending his entire life focussing on his ideal of bringing his father back. Now I think Kes would probably do similar to Jake in The Visitor, but for different reasons, while Jake does it out of an ideal of needing his father in his life; Kes would do so out of reasons of compassion and love, wanting to help her friend/relative/etcetera, but would stay grounded in the here and now and stay realistic with what she could do, she would have stayed driven, but not as driven as the idealist, and accepted the situation more readily and therein lies the important difference between the two.

15. Annika

Annika Ensign Newbie

I love this! I am slightly obsessed with MBTI.. I am an INTJ and secretly type everyone I meet!
    I try to look beyond simply assigning the 4 letters by choosing a or b, I also look at the description of that type as a whole.

-Janeway has caused a lot of confusion for me.. After a ton of research, my best guess for her would be ENTJ, although she has a very high F. She is definitely a very compassionate person but when it comes to the really tough decisions I feel she uses her head more often rather than her heart, (Even when it hurts her or causes internal conflict. I think this due to her Starfleet training. She wears that command mask which is definitely ENTJ). She also uses her intuition far too often for me to type her as an S.
    -As for Seven of Nine, I see some people saying she is an ISTJ. I have considered this but ultimately disagree. She is definitely an INTJ. She questions rules, authority and traditions far to often for her to be an S. As an INTJ, she expects perfection from herself and others, easily recognize patterns in events and uses her intuition when solving problems. I think if she were to take the test she would score in the middle between S and N but ultimately the INTJ fits better with her as a whole. When she was disconnected from the hive mind I think she was ISTJ but the more she develops her humanity, the stronger her N becomes. As for people saying she might be an ISTP :wtf: Seven is so J it is frightening...

Whispers of Ressikan likes this.
  16. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

If for example a whole race or species can be profiled, does that not take away the relevance of this type of test? At least the individuality aspect of it?

It is interesting though and a little fun but I can't help but find it.. insulting in a way. Imagine if someone, (and that someone would have their own profile and thus place that profile, and themself, as arbitrator) .. but they decide what traits need to be matched up to crew Voyager. So the Captain has to be this combination of indicators, the Engineer another etc. Maybe that is a mistake? Deciding a challenge is best met by a personality type doesn't necessarily allow for the unexpected and surely doesn't cover everything.

Anyway what do we have..
    Introvert and Extrovert. These are opposing. I would lean to thinking a leader needs to be an Extrovert but some of the most influential, good and bad, have ego. Is ego introvert?

Sensing and Intuition. Honestly I think one could be both. Intuition is still a sense and we all take care of practical matters using the here and now senses, even dreamers eat.

Thinking and Feeling. I see distinction here. Though, I guess with all of this, not exclusivity. I wonder if there is such a being as one who has 50% of each pairing?

Judging and Perceiving. Another nice clear cut distinction. However I personally think Judging is the best.