Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, Garfield did comment about how much he loved Spider-Man as a kid and how cool he finds playing the character. Regardless, adoration for the comics aside, Garfield is a tremendous actor and that's all I care about. I don't care if he's read a single issue of the comic-book so long as he can deliver a good performance, and I have the fullest confidence that Garfield can.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I believe Andrew mentioned his childhood love for Spider-Man on a recent appearance on Jimmy Falloon or maybe it was Jimmy Kimmel while promoting "The Social Network". I'm becoming more excited about this film.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

You do distinguish between a supporting actor and a director though, right? I mean, how much character development do you think Van Adder is going to get in this movie? He's not exactly Geordi LaForge, a character who had been in TNG episodes and movies for 13 years by the time of Nemesis.

4. Admiral_Young

Yeah it's a bizarre character to pick to have no confidence in.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

6. Admiral_Young

Saw that...go Billy! I wonder if Martha will be cast next? I'm pretty convinced now that this secondary casting is for the whole trilogy and that we could possibly get a trilogy long story arc which I would be fine with instead of disjointed separate stories with a loose connection like the Rami trilogy was.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

>: (

Not only am I sick of reboots, but I'm also sick of the word 'trilogy' being thrown around for any potential project. Just make a good movie first and worry about sequels later.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've begun to dislike the idea that a trilogy has become defacto for complete. Just telling three stories, even good ones, doesn't mean the story is over. This should be a loosely told sequel, a Spidey 4, we do not need the origin material again so soon.

Hulk & Punisher say Hi!

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. If they had cast young enough to do 2 or 3 movies set in High School I could almost see their thinking, but by the sequel the cast will be around the same age as Maguire, Dunst etc are now, so why not just make Spidey 4?

10. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I'm not crazy about the idea of rebooting Spider-Man, but the fellow they've cast as Parker is the same guy who played Eduardo, the co-founder of Facebook, in The Social Network, and he was quite good. I also think Garfield looks a bit like the Steve Ditko version of Parker. I don't have such a problem with a 27-year-old playing Parker. I mean, how old was Johnny Depp when he was in 21 Jump Street? Now, who they cast as J. Jonah Jameson is the news I'm waiting for. It'll be hard to top J.K. Simmons!

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't have any particular feelings one way or another about the film, but it does seem odd for an actor, even a supporting one, to not know the name of the character he's been cast to play. He also said he had read "some pages," which also makes me roll my eyes at his attitude about "science fiction names."

12. Admiral_Young

An actor or actress reading only a few pages of the script during their audition process is a very common practice. I don't know how reading "some pages" would make you have a reaction that he had some kind of "attitude" towards "science fiction names". Did he state this specifically in an interview?

13. PsychoPere

I'm aware that's a common practice, but it also seems odd to me to sit down for an interview and seem to know literally nothing about the reason behind the interview. As for the science fiction names bit, I was referring to his "These science-fiction names don’t mean a lot to me." comment in the very interview that's been under discussion. It reads to me as a nonchalant attitude at best, which again doesn't strike me as all that appropriate in an interview.

14. Admiral_Young

I think people are overreacting to this...as pointed out, he is a secondary character who just signed on to the project I really seriously doubt it is going to effect the movie's quality in general.

15. PsychoPere

Did I make any comment about the interview in relation to the quality of the film? I'm referring solely to his conduct in the interview. In fact, only one person has commented on it in relation to film quality. So, where are these "overreacting" "people," then?

16. Admiral_Young

Okay so I generalized unfairly...my mistake...I still feel like it's not a big deal.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, one of my only reasons why I'm excited for this project, as someone who loved the Raimi films (at least the first two) is the creative team behind and in front of the camera. Marc Webb proved with one single film a type of creative spark that I can't wait to see applied to a big summer blockbuster. James Vanderbilt wrote one of the most complex crime stories ever told on celluloid, Zodiac.

After seeing his performance in The Social Network, I'm totally convinced Andrew Garfield is a superb actor who will do a terrific job in the role. Also, Emma Stone is a great up-and-coming actress who has proved with supporting roles in Superbad and leading roles in Easy A that she has the sparky wit and intelligence of someone beyond your typical, average young love interest.

Because of those reasons, and because of a new, exciting take on the Spider-Man mythology, I'm excited for this particular film. I would have preferred to have seen Sam Raimi's fourth film, but then again, he had three movies and perhaps it's time for something new and fresh. I'm open-minded and optimistic.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So, organic web-shoorters or technological ones a high-school kid invented in his bedroo, somehow, with a limited R&D budget, materials, no license to purchase controlled materies and he doesn't take his awesome meta-material and uses it to make millions?

19. Admiral_Young

I'm guessing they're going to use the mechanical web shooters. If Peter took his invention of his adhesive formula and tried to patten it and sell it I'm pretty sure that this would have a link to him being Spider-Man. This was addressed in like the early issues of the comic.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Doesn't make sense he could come up with the stuff to begin with, though. ;)