The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, you just know that kids love re-enacting the thrilling scene where two guys carried a crate up the Falcon ramp.

Ok, I'll stop.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Heh....kids? Probably not.

35-year-old men who collect what we do? I'd never discount it. ;)

3. OdoWanKenobi

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that I've never seen someone completely re-create Star Wars in stop motion with action figures. I mean, there's more than enough by now. It's seems the kind of thing some crazy obsessive nerd would do.

4. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

And I am the kind of crazy obsessive nerd that would watch it. :rommie: You know it would be awesome... and epic.

Back in March I preodered three of Moebius Model's prebuilt Battlestar Galactica models. The first of the lot, the Viper Mark II, arrived a couple of days ago and she is awesome. When I get a minute I will post some pictures.

And I just preordered the first wave of the Star Wars 6" figures. August can not get here fast enough. I think I may need to add some more shelves to my office. I am running out of room!

5. Obiwansolo18

Obiwansolo18 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Might not be action figures but I love model kits in all forms though legos my favorite.

6. cooleddie74

Variation 1 of the Imperial Scanning Crew two-pack (Stormtrooper):

[​IMG]

Variation 2 (Lt. Childsen of the Death Star detention block; different scanning equipment container):

[​IMG]

7. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have another one now. Can you ID the white one?

[​IMG]

8. cooleddie74

^
    That's R5-F7, from the 2007 Toys 'R' Us-exclusive Y-Wing Fighter in 30th Anniversary Collection packaging. He was never released separately or in other sets.

9. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hawkeye and Black Widow went to D.C. with me this week.

They inspect the hotel room...they were a bit disappointed with the view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They met a new friend...

[​IMG]

Went to the Air and Space Museum...

[​IMG]

Had a good night's sleep...

[​IMG]

Posed in front of the Washington Monument and a fountain at the National Gallery of Art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a bit lost and had to consult a map...

[​IMG]

Finally, Tasha was very happy with the Russian doll ornaments I bought at the Gallery.

[​IMG]

10. cooleddie74

That was a trip.

No pun intended.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hot Toys just teased their 66' Batman and Robin figures!!! Reveal at SDCC next weekend. I can't believe we're just around the corner from one of my favourite times of the year!!

12. cooleddie74

The grand reveal of the 6" Black Series Greedo, to be released in a later wave assortment of the brand new, larger articulated figure line.

I think the eyes could be a different shade of purple (his eyes were never actually pitch black as virtually all of the 3.75" Kenner and Hasbro figures ever made have depicted them. I wouldn't mind a grimier, dirtier wash on his vest and jumpsuit so the colors don't seem so clean and bright, but all in all it's not a bad figure.

13. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

Sometimes I let my old X-force figures Rictor and Shatterstar sleep in the same bed I made for them and they have their own adventures getting into trouble and having fun. Sometimes Shatterstar will get into bar fights because some dudes made fun of his eye tattoo.

14. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to taking some pictures of my new Moebius preassembled Battlestar Galactica Viper and Cylon Raider. I think they are just beautiful. I did add some weathering and battle-damage to both. They came in a "pristine" state and I thought they looked weird not being roughed up. I plan on doing the same to the Battlestar Galactica when she arrives later this month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(And can I say these were hard as hell to photograph? I couldn't get enough light on them or the aperture small enough to get them completely in focus. Both are only about ten inches long which is a little to small for the camera to properly manage.)

15. cooleddie74

Gorgeous. I love that Viper. I had a lot of affection for the original Viper fighters from the original, classic BSG stories of the 1978-80 period and always enjoy looking at those sleek lines.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    you know what action figure is needed? Kamelion from Doctor Who

17. cooleddie74

Another look at the brand new, as-yet-unreleased 6" Greedo, just in case the link in the post above doesn't work. Like I said, I'd make his eyes a different shade of purple and give him a slightly dirtier wash on his vest and jumpsuit, but other than that he looks pretty fantastic and might be in stores in Wave 3 of the new 6" line (Wave 2 will contain Slave Leia, Boba Fett, A New Hope Han and Revenge of the Sith Anakin).

[​IMG]

And:

The very first packaged look at the upcoming Vintage Collection Republic Gunship, which I believe will be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive and comes with three figures: Yoda, a Clone Pilot for the gunship and one Clone Trooper. At this size and coming with all these features and three action figures I'm guessing the retail price will be about $100 or even more.

[​IMG]

18. OdoWanKenobi

19. cooleddie74

^
    Are you considering buying the 6" Boba Fett and Han in Carbonite set? It'll be $45, but you can wait until the Boba gets released all by himself in stores in Wave 2 of the Black Series line and pay just $19.99 for him. The Carbonite Han, however, is strictly a Comic-Con exclusive item and there are no plans on selling him individually at mass retail.

It's a trade-off. Wait and pay less than half for the Boba, but you don't get the really cool and masterfully-sculpted Han. Go ahead and buy the two-pack set and you shell out exclusive convention prices, but you get both characters.

20. OdoWanKenobi

I want it, but no. It will go up on Hasbro Toy Shop while I'm at work, and be gone in moments. Last year's X-Force multi-pack still stings for a lot of collectors. The only reason that Mattel"s stuff won't be the same deal is that one of the perks to being in a subscription club is that you get early access to the exclusives before they go up for sale on the site. Graphitti designs doesn't publicise when items will hit their site, plus they're a bit more niche, so there's a better chance there.