Family Friendly Countries.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MacLeod, Jun 26, 2013.

1. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

No, that's exactly the point.

A lot of countries have federal subdivisions, with different laws, customs, and traditions (from the UK to Brazil, Russia, India, etc). Hell, some even have different official languages (Canada, Belgium: just two examples). Even nominally unitary nations like France or China have wildly different communities living in the same country. The US is not alone, or even peculiar, in this: it's not the largest, the most populous, or even the most diverse federal country in the world.

Generally speaking, there is no more difference between California and Ohio than between Punjab and Kerala, Bavaria and Brandenburg, Sicily and Trentino.

That's the point I was trying to make.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think they have to have a Bachelor's in Education. Often, the bachelor's degree in the specific field would be sufficient (for example, a history teacher doesn't have to be a history education major, they can just have a BA in history).

Anyway, interesting map. I suspect it's not entirely accurate (for example, I think some states have paid leave for mothers even if it's not at the national level. Also, how does the UK have constitutional protections?).

I think the category there was "constitutional" protection, which is accurate - provided you're talking about private employment. The Constitution (with a few exceptions) only prevents the government from doing certain things.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I concede your point. Again, the entirety of my international experience is from talking to people on the TrekBBS. It's just something that I have noticed from people outside the US that they treat us as if every state is exactly the same, though I suppose it's very possible that we do the exact same thing to other countries.

Well, this could very well be another thing that varies from state to state. In my state, I'm pretty sure you have to have a BA in Education to be allowed to teach. When I was going to college, everyone seeking an education degree had to double major in something else if they wanted to teach a specific subject. Otherwise anybody with any random bachelors degree could apply for a teaching job, and that's just not how it works.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Maybe Illinois is different. Here, anyone with a random bachelor's degree very much could apply for a teaching job. Quite often, they won't get it, but that depends on what the individual school is looking for. I know someone who was a bio chem major who now teaches high school science and I don't think had any education classes (certainly didn't major in education).

5. iguana_tonante

You are young, healthy, unattached. Go abroad for a while! Working holidays are great and you won't dig into your savings too much. You'll never regret it.

I think it's something we are all guilty of. It's a matter of fractal perspective: if you are outside, things look uniform and coherent, but if you are in the inside, you see diversity and complexity.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to like when the UK was desperately unfriendly to children in many areas* - it was a sad day when kids were allowed in pubs, what was wrong with sitting outside in the cold with a bottle of pop?

fuck no, your brat can't colour in my racing post

* being more serious, we are very family unfriendly when it comes to children compared to the rest of Europe.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So much easier said than done. I'm lucky if I can get two days off in a row, let alone a vacation overseas.

Plus someone would need to watch my cat. :p

8. iguana_tonante

Bring the cat with you. Instant conversation starter, keeps you warm in the cold weather, and can hunt something for you in case you are short on food money. ;)

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The last time I tried to get my cat into her carrier, it required three people. She does not travel well. :lol:

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That's one of the things I like about Britain.

(I hate kids.)

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

A bottle of pop and a bag of crisps surely!:lol: