A Brand New Day Has Passed...It's time For Peter to hit the Big Time!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: A Brand New Day Has Passed...It's time For Peter to hit the Big Ti

Dito

I'm just not interested in Queseda's new Status Quo, regardless of the quality of writing.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've read your Spider-Man novel and thought it was excellent along with the rest of your work. Yes I do dislike it, I don't know though how you can discount the rest of the people's voices on this board though who agree with that assessment? We already went through this debate about "Smallville" which I still disagree with as well...the board is a small aspect of fandom I will agree with that, how are we supposed to measure the rest of fandoms dislike? I don't get that.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just...who cares about Spider-Man any more?

4. Admiral_Young

I still care about Spider-Man just not a fan of forced stories like this was and let's face it was forced on us and let's not turn this into a diatribe about how Editorial can do whatever they want without listening to the fans because that isn't what I'm saying.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not saying that Spiderman will be gone someday.. he is one of the tentpole characters of Marvel and one of the most widely recognized but currently the character and his title suffers big time because of the ego of one chief editor who wanted to leave his mark on the character and start his own legacy and has failed yet is too proud and maybe arrogant to admit it openly (until someone higher up in the chain steps in and "orders" him to undo the damage as best they can).
    I'm basing my opinion on my taste and on facts in the form of sales figures. My feeling tells me that OMD is pure shit and i haven't read such garbage in a long time and when i look at the sales figures back up to the release of OMD they speak a clear language so it's not a few fanboys on SF/Fantasy related message boards but the broad customer base that rejects Spiderman currently.

See my posting above.. the sales figures are a measuring tool of success and they show that customers in general disagree with the current direction.

I wouldn't have had such a problem with a separation of Peter and MJ. Have them divorced, separated, some lame interdimensional technobabble that messes up only their continuity.. anything that doesn't compromise Peter's ideals but making a deal with the Devil???

This is so far out there for a guy who'd rather die than make a questionable moral decision again.. he'd sacrifice maybe his marriage to avoid making a morally bad decision. This i'd have liked to read but JoeQ and Marvel decided on another approach and we got what we got.

I don't know about the quality of the new stories (huge Ultimate Spidey fan but not that close to 616 Spiderman) since i lost what little interest i had after OMD but i hope they pull a reverse stunt and reestablish their relationship/marriage. MJ is such an integral part of Spiderman lore and it doesn't feel whole without her as wife.

6. Admiral_Young

Also OMD left a bad taste in my mouth because they essentially used Aunt May on her death bed as the plot device to initiate a deal with the devil. Anyways I've had this debate with Christopher in the OMD and BND thread. This is the BIG TIME thread and thus reserved for discussion about the Big Time. As far as I'm concerned OMD and BND are in the past and concluded. Marvel now has established the new status quo for Spider-Man and is moving on with the next chapter in Peter's live which as I've stated several times looks promising and interesting.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Except in this case a modest success would be considered a failure. Marvel poured huge resources into the project getting A-list talent with Quesada personally involved and all they got was a downward sales spiral. The way they ended it really says how badly received the project was with OMIT being one middle finger from Quesada to his critics.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Admiral_Young

Also wasn't there a big disagreement between Quesada and JMS over OMD? I believe it was JMS's last work on Spider-Man before he moved onto "Thor". The two had butted heads numerous times including "Sins Past". Also there really was no need to dissolve the marriage since "Ultimate Spider-Man" was created with the intent of showing a younger, unmarried Spider-Man with no continuity problems.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "616" thing still boggles me. I've been reading Marvel since the 1960s, and I never heard that expression until we started talking about OMD here.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

616 is the main continuity, I think the name comes from Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman. It's like the multi-verse of DC.

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been reading through some of the old trades recently, including One More Day. Maybe it's because I've never bought into Christianity, but I just can't get worked up about Peter making a deal with 'the devil' (or rather, 'a devil', as the Marvel U seems to have many) the way other people here do. Spider-Man has collaborated with his foes when necessity dictated; I don't see him dealing with Mephisto as particularly different from those other instances.

What was far more offensive, to me, was the way Peter visiting all the people who should have been able to save Aunt May easily yet somehow couldn't just showed up the lazy, outcome-driven plotting and disregard for their own world-building. It was astoundingly forced and ham-handed. It would have been better if, instead of having Aunt May languish in a hospital for weeks during which any number of characters could have come to her aid, the bullet had hit something immediately critical--that is to say, she'd be dead within minutes--then Mephisto appears and demands that Peter and Mary Jane make a decision then and there, in the heat of the moment. It would have made more sense, I think, both from the perspective of characterization (Peter, not big with the foresight, makes 'bad' spur-of-the-moment decisions all the time) and setting (because then there would have legitimately been no other way of saving Aunt May). I wonder if they tried to draw it out in order to milk the 'event,' to the detriment of the internal logic.

Ficititiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Joe Quesada hates the whole "616" thing with a passion, so it's extremely unlikely to be mentioned in any current Marvel comics.

15. Admiral_Young

Alan Moore originated the concept and now it's just mentioned by fans.

16. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

so, forgive me in advance for my noobish knowledge of spider-man... why bother with continuity? why not just go the Simpsons route and lock Parker in at age XX and his world never really advances unless the story demands it? hell, you could do two books, one where continuity is "tight" (as is the case now) and one where it's just stories and adventures, continuity only carries forward in a specific arc.

it seems like marvel is trying to have their cake and eat it to, they want continuity but they want things to stay the same... but really if spider-man has been around for 50 years skirting around the issue, it seems to do a disservice to both ways of telling a story.

i get into comics about every 5 years or so. when i am not big into collecting (like now) i just pick up the trades that are supposed to be REALLY good (so maybe one a year) or the stories with a definitive end point (like Y-The Last Man or Ex-Machina). i'd love more one offs of the major heroes, stories where i dont feel like i am already 40 years behind the curve.

17. Admiral_Young

"Ultimate Spider-Man" pretty much is the example of where continuity only carries on through continuity is tight and only moves through arc in some places. It's been mentioned several times in USM that the events of the first arc were only several months ago.

18. Admiral_Young

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The motion comic trailer was cool to see but I still will not be picking any of this up at retail.

It's still Brand New Day. Period.

I find it amusing that just because THEY think they've wrapped it all up in their minds that those who didn't like BND will just be back.

BND is the reality for which Big Time takes place.

Granted, enough times passes and this will just be the norm for some. Sells will have to increase due to uninformed individuals or those who just get worn down and give up and start buying ASM again.

Make no mistake, its all still BND.

20. Admiral_Young

Well to be fair it's the status quo that BND generated and created, but I get the sentiment. I haven't bought a Spider-Man trade in a long, long time and I won't but I still download and read the comics in order to follow what's going on. Not buying the trades is my own form of protest and one that I've maintained since prior to OMD. I'm partial to Norah Winters which is a great character and my personal pick for a love interest for Pete, if I can't have the marriage I'll have Norah any time. The stuff with Felicia is fun but again I don't really like the fact that they have Peter two-timing women at the same time and justifying it because he's Spider-Man.