What did you like about Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Amaris, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

In all seriousness, I've never understood why there wasn't a Next Generation movie with Q. Berman & co. kept saying they wanted to recreate the kind of conflict that the original cast films had with Khan and Kirk, and there's really no one in the Next Generation saga that matches that description better than Q - besides which, it would have given them an opportunity to do something with Q on a scale that they couldn't have achieved on TV.

And now it's too late. :(

2. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Having watched it again, I find it holds up a lot more strongly than legend would have it, even without the excellent deleted scenes.
    The quality of the TNG films, and this one, are so high, that the hate piled on them continues to make no sense to me. Schinzon and his homies make for a very gripping, creepy bunch of enemies, I think more intense than Nero and his similarly gothic gang in STXI.
    Here are some moments I'm remembering:

- the glance between Picard and Data after landing the moon-buggy on the shuttlecraft: priceless
    - Worf's "Very astute" just before the chase
    - the long starship battle into the finale was truly awesome - in particular the tactical elements displayed make you want to bust out Bridge Commander
    - the confrence room, the bridge, main engineering with the 2-storey warp core
    - Troi getting to use her psychic powers offensively
    - Riker hanging by one arm after kicking off the Viceroy = awesome
    - the female Romulan commander = hell yeah
    - the smooth chain of command represented - Riker and Worf go to defend the ship, Data hops into the XO chair
    - Picard and Data's escape from the Scimitar = awesome
    - soundtrack, FX - crewmembers blown from the bridge = kicks ass

I could go on further. I understand the criticisms, but overall, ST:NEM kicks some ass, and has powerful thought-provoking questions along with archetypal drama taking place. STXI kicks some ass also, but honestly, NEM was not a bad sendoff for the TNG crew - it was a very well made, highly awesome finale with the punch of a major character's sacrifice, told in a hugely spectacular way.
    The mental-sexual-assault element was really pretty creepy, Schinzon later darkly saying "I was lonely". One thing I don't see explained is why the Remans follow him almost like Jem Hadar.

Oh, and one other recollection: you could totally see Guinan vibing out Geordi at the wedding. Like she maybe wanted some Chief Engineer up in her quarters ~ :wtf:
    I wish Wesley had been cut in, that would have made it feel like a more complete finale. And I have no doubt that a sequel to NEM would have been amazing, with two main starships, B4 probably gaining some functionality, a few new characters - excellent opportunity to add DS9/VOY crew to either ship. But as it stands, it was a strong finale for TNG. Stands well beside STVI, or any of the films really, though I think IV is probably the masterpiece of the bunch.

3. David49

David49 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I loved the ship to ship battle scenes.

4. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I reach you, Cptn'.

5. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    You make some great points there! This film has been accused of ignoring other TNG movies but the relationship in Insurrection that redeveloped between Diana and Will fit very well and as a fine I liked seeing them married. Also seeing Riker get his first command was the right thing to do for his character.

I couldn't have said it better myself, I also want to add that the performances in the film were perfect, some really good acting adding tension and drama in a very good way.

6. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

This film needed a new script, director, and about $100 million more injected into it to make it palpable. It was a cheap TWOK rip-off with the stupidest "clone" plot ever written for sci-fi.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, now what did you like about it?

J.

8. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree about the script and the director, but I don't see how throwing more money into the project would necessarily make it better. I find it frustrating that Hollywood pours so much money into some of their projects. A massive production budget can't save a film if the story and script are terrible. I don't look at NEM and think "wow, cheap movie, why didn't they have a bigger budget?"

9. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Being a P/C fan, I liked the little bit of interaction between the two in this movie, more so than the other three TNG films. There seemed to be more of that old connection between the two. I wish the cut scenes were in there too, like the goodbye and the wedding party conversation, but at least we got Bev sitting on his desk like she did in the series. :D

I also liked:

*The wedding.
    *The end battle.
    *The nature vs. nuture theme.
    *Brent Spiner's acting when he as Data deactivates B-4.
    *Data's funeral.
    *The Ready Room scene where Picard tries to dissuade Shinzon from following through with his plan. This is something that harkened back to the series where he would try to use talk first before action. And yeah, this movie has a lot of action, so it was nice to see things slow down a bit there.
    *Riker trying to remember the tune Data whistled.
    *The goodbye between Riker and Picard.
    *Picard walking and smiling down the corridor at the end.

10. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I noticed that also, subtly present, like Geordi-Guinan. (G/G?) NEM really has more of a "TNG family" feel throughout it, which adds to its appropriateness as a send-off. You could see P/C developing a bit more in a sequel.

11. Cpt Cullison

Cpt Cullison Ensign

even though i;m a huge fan nemises was complete bullshit

12. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

The positive review of the movie in two local Toronto papers (NOW & Exclaim! [a music magazine]) were enough for me to see it twice, for some reason; the first time because the theater I saw it in first sucked, the second time because I wanted to see it at the Uptown theater in downtown Toronto, which was bigger and better (it's now gone, sadly.)

Here's the review from Exclaim!:

[LEFT]
    Nemesis review
    [/LEFT]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

I too thought it worked very well as a movie, but I felt that the addition of the deleted scenes would have gone a long way to shore up the "non-action" side of the plot.

I also enjoyed the starship battle near the end quite a bit, with the maneuvering to protect weakened shields, etc.

14. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Not much. I did like the new Romulan ships, the Reman Scimitar, and the actress who played Donatra. She was hot! Then again, Romulan women are smoldering! -- RR

15. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Three things:

1. Riker & Troi finally getting married (although the ceremony itself was rather silly).

2. The assassination of the Romulan Senate.

3. The viewscreen getting shot out. Surprisingly, that was something we'd never seen happen in all the previous space battles in Star Trek over the years.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, we did see the viewscreen shot out in Voyager's Year of Hell. In fact, John Logan claims that was his inspiration for doing it in Nemesis.

17. Voyagerian

Voyagerian Commander Red Shirt

Those 'family moments' are what makes it for me in any ST-especially Voyager, whose Family was forged by extreme circumstance, and shared isolation. I wouldn't mind seeing Bev and Jean-Luc become a couple myself.

18. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved the battle scene between the Enterprise and the Scimitar. It evoked the battle between the Enterprise and the cloaked Bird of Prey in The Undiscovered Country. When the Enterprise was on full impulse to ram the Scimitar, I said to myself (like the Son'a from Insurrection said to Worf) "He wouldn't," and he did!

My eyes widened and jaw fell when the two ships impacted. I had never seen Star Trek do anything like that before. It was almost like Picard had said to himself, "That's it! No more of this bullshit!" *RAAAAAAAM*

I'll always remember that shot of the partially destroyed Enterprise and the Scimitar just sitting quietly in space after to the two vessels detached from each other. Someone in the theater whispered loudly, "Jesus..."

19. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

>sigh<

Yes, but what did you like about it?!? :brickwall:

20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

Thank you. :D

J.