5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your verdict?

1. Excellent

63.3%
  2. Good

28.5%
  3. Average

2.5%
  4. Meh

3.8%
  5. I'd rather cut off my ear

1.9%
  1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Ultimately, those design decisions have more to do with characterization than worldbuilding, which is exactly how it should be in Doctor Who.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also if we get the Tardis console contest winner thing next episode I wonder how USS Bones (it was you that brought up the bulky and old tech thing in the first place right?) will react to the Doctor creating a piece of Time Lord technology using every day run of the mill objects found on Earth which supposedly will be the case.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ Am sure he will find some Colorful language to state his digust.

4. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Reading the debate about the Doctor's technology makes me long for an historical episode in which he meets Heath Robinson. The Doctor's stuff has always been a tad Heath-Robinsonish!

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

MacGyver is a lost regeneration of the Doctor?

6. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I never really thought about an American Doctor... but Richard Dean Anderson might just fit the role. :)

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Hey there! I was wondering when we'd hear from you about all new things Whovian!

8. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've now watch this episode 3 times, and it just gets better. I havent cried this much in i cant remember how long. In fact this thread has made me cry a couple times too! Gawd, im a suck.

I was actually retelling the story to a couple people at work and got teary eyed from just talking about it.

9. Admiral_Young

I didn't cry (not epic enough it seems) but I did get emotional at the end with the painting and dedication to Amy. Also I can't believe I didn't bring this up earlier, the scene near the end where Vincent, The Doctor, and Amy were lying together on the ground and looking up...it reminded me of the first teaser trailer with the Doctor showing Amy the stars and then being swallowed up by time and space!!!

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tears? Certainly not But I did realize on saturday that I really need to dust in here.

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah same here.

12. The Sonic Mole

The Sonic Mole Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I loved the historical setting - I always think it evokes a First Doctor feel to proceedings when they do this. I also thought the team deserve credit for tackling depression. However, I really thought the scene with Vincent in the gallery (with intrusive "anthemic" indie pap blaring away) felt out of place.

13. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

I think it was a fantastic episode, and what i really liked about it was the message driven commentary on depression.. people need to be more aware of it's devastating effects.. and just like the great modern USA cartoons and shows of the 80's to have an "the More you know is half the battle, Yo Joe!" hotline ad was a tremendously cool thing..

I myself have experienced depression when my own company folded after 4 years in business due to the economy and such.. and I had a friend in Highschool who suffered from manic depression, and eventually committed suicide.. it was a horrible time for his family, not to mention one of my favorite artists of all time Ian Curtis (Joy Division) fell victim to suicidal tendencies and hung himself.. so there is a lot of power in the message of this episode, and a refreshing break from the Left Leaning political commentaries of the RTD seasons.. nice to see a commentary on a social issue that doesn't alienate half the people, and cater to a section of the populace who have a specific agenda or view..

This was a great filler episode.. fillers are usually unimportant and sad to weather.. this one I would watch again without hesitation.. and that is the point of the episode and the focus.. it is a filler yes, some say weak, well maybe but then again as filler episodes go, this one left me thinking okay, I would definitely re-watch that one..and a nice break from the crack in time story line was well deserved..

a Nice Holiday for a week and then back to the overall big picture..

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with filler episodes, let's face it Blink was a filler episode.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I liked that scene overall I think they just went too far with it. Would have been fine if it was some original score and the guide in the background talking with Van Gogh hearing as he took in that he was popular.

16. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. I think this is how they originally intended to execute the scene but it did feel a bit over the top.

17. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You're in a minority of about 2.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the song worked great. It might have become a hoary cliche on a lot of other shows to end with a rock song, but here it actually felt surprising and unexpected.

Plus we're so accustomed to Gold's style that it would have risked feeling like just another standard DW ending. I think this moment needed something a bit different and a bit more.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Can some one elaborate on something for me, there was a reference that I did not get in this episode.

Vincent asked Amy if she was from Holland like him, and she wanted to say no, but the Doctor said yes. Is there some historical or cultural thing I'm missing where she couldn't reveal to him she was scottish?

20. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

i no it was rubish ther wrnt enuf kewl exploshuns

it wud have been beter if it wus liek aviatar with the monstres and the plants

too much talking too lol