Star Trek Into Darkness DVD & Blu-Ray Sales

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flake, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Think how many copies they would've sold if people actually liked the movie! :eek:

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I've probably missed something, but...

... why are sales figures for the week ending September 15 suddenly news worthy of a new thread in mid-January?

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmmm. ST'09's first week ended with 1,606,000 Bluray and 3,583,259 DVD sales.
    http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star-Trek-XI#tab=video-sales
    I've read that home media sales have dropped over the past few years. Plus, I'm not sure which day of the week each was released on. And this doesn't count on-demand stuff - barely a day goes by when I don't see Spock beam into a subway in that Xbox One commercial.

5. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

According to Home Media Magazine STid was the 7th best selling Blu-Ray in 2013 selling more copies than F&F6 and Iron Man 3.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep seeing the Twizzlers ad. I always think "they're using the original ship design instead of the Abrams one".

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

It is because the sales figures released freely on the internet lag this far behind. They have only just been released. Prior to this weekend we had absolutely no indication of how well STID did on home video and thats why I made a thread about it :)

People care about these figures and like to compare them with other releases etc so again I felt it needed its own thread.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And eventually there'll be a big rerelease, with all the bonus features on the one unit, which will also sell well. Many people who held off before will buy, and others will "double dip" and either cheer or sob loudly. ;)

Yep, in favour of data downloads. You can really only compare with other blockbusters released on disk around the same season, these days, I think.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

This is the release I am waiting for - although I did buy a Blu-ray copy over Xmas for 8 bucks. When a rerelease comes out will all the bonus features I will be happy to buy it and add to the sales numbers.

10. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Week 2 (Ending Sept 22) is out now:

DVD:
    2 (1) Star Trek Into Darkness 175,794 Total of: 693,505

Blu-Ray
    2 (1) Star Trek Into Darkness 127,875 Total of: 1,254,453
    3 - Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness 74,036
    4 - Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection 33,314 Total of 105,095

11. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like great news to me. Looking forward to next movie, I hope within the next two years.

12. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Not sure, what's the board policy on us getting together and getting some kind of message to Paramount to make that re-release with all the extras happen?

I've been holding out on buying Into Darkness because of the scattershot way it was released. I might pick up a cheap used copy if this never happens though.

13. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

STID BluRay is already making the lists as the "Worst BluRay Release" of 2013 over at the home theater forum. If it wasn't for the incredibly abysmal handling of Disney's "The Sword In The Stone", it'd be first place.

14. BillJ

How exactly is it the worst release? I have the Blu-ray, the picture and sound are awesome.

I can't believe people are still complaining about a few bonus features that are already all over the internet. What a world we live in.

15. M'Sharak

16. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

It should be noted that in the realm of Home Theater Media enthusiasts those things matter (as they do to me).

I can totally see people not caring about special features or things like that.

Keep in mind that sites like that and others in that particular subset don't just view the movie and the quality of the film or the transfer, they look at the whole package compared to other released titles.

There has been standards set by other companies and other releases giving the fans more bang for their buck. I've got to agree, in terms of getting getting more bang for your buck STID pales in comparison to even the first JJ film which had a ton of bonus content.

So in saying it was a terrible release, they are just saying compared to the industry standard STID Bu-Ray release was a let down. Still sold a lot of copies, still a great movie, just a let down compared to what you can get (if such things matter to you).

17. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Yeah, I used to be at HTF but left long ago because of the attitude there.

But the handling of the extras for STID is still a pretty bad indicator of how the studios treat their product and their consumer base. This could have been a contender for Best Bluray, instead of a footnote.

18. M'Sharak

I understand all that, yes, and I did consider it in that context. That given, I suspect that calling it the worst (or even second-worst) Blu-Ray package of the whole year might still be just a teensy bit hyperbolic.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The question is what do we as consumers expect feature wise on a DVD/BR. Sure some are happy with more a less a vanillia release, others prefer releases loaded with extras. I enjoy listening to commentary tracks, and making of features. In the days when On Demand services you have to want people to go to the expense of buying a DVD/BR, sure I can understand a DVD release being a vanillia release but what the studios should do is load the BR with features so as to get people to migrate to the new medium. Though what I think is more annoying than a lack of bonus features is where they are released as exclusives availble from only a certain retailer. I view that as nothing more than a shameless attempt to rip fans off in the hopes that they'll double or even triple dip.

20. BillJ

The retailers actually pay for those exclusive releases (video games have been doing it for near a decade now). They see it as a way to drive traffic to their stores. Based on the fact that Star Trek Into Darkness sold pretty well, I imagine we'll see more similar releases in the future.