Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

:rommie::rommie::rommie:

I'm sorry I said anything.

If he founded the KKK, shouldn't he be a Confederate, or was Marvel worried about sales in Southern states? ;)

But it's a great idea either way. They gotta do a crossover with Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

right a review of Capt America.

Before I review Capt America which I though was an excellent movie, I have a pondering, could Marvel take a shitty hero, give him/her a movie, but fill it with Iron Man & SHIELD refrences, and people come out saying how awesome it was?

This is not to say that Capt America is a shitty hero, but it is to say that the movie did at times feel distracted from Capt America, and a bit too busy refrencing Iron Man, and Thor. I get that they are trying to build up a universe, but im sure we need quite as much of Howard Stark as we saw, half of the time damm doing a decent impression of his son.

Moving on to Steve Rogers, he really shouldnt be called a "superhero", and I dont mean that in a bad way, he cleary has super strength, super speed etc, but hes very down to earth (unlike a certain other Stark I could mention) and he comes across as a real person, it is very much a case of the man who makes the hero, not the abilities.

I am sure I am not the first person to say this, but the end feels like a bit of a waste, even with Bucky dead you still wish there was another movie before he was frozen and woke up in the future.

The Red Skull villian looknig back feels like a safe choice, and whilst a capable villian didnt do a whole lot other superhero villians have done before him.

As much as I enjoyed the Star Spangled Man sequence, it feels like not only a waste of Steve Rogers, but a waste of movie time, in that by the time Stever Rogers becomes the soilder he was created to be, alot of the movie is over, and his battle to take down Hydra seemed rushed, some more of them matching wits would have been nice, more battles between the two, not just physical but also tactial, even with Red Skull winning a couple of rounds.

the Red Skull villian in his human mask, looked a little too much like Todd Carty.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Red Skull looks like Todd Carty!! :guffaw:

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

it is possible im the only one to think that.

that is where I recongise him from, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain America 2 will likely be a mix of modern/WWII Captain America. I'd imagine not too unlike how Brubaker, but others as well, would tell a Cap story in the present that had some tie or made him recall a mission from his past.
    **emphasis mine

So those montage sequences where they are pulling off Hydra stations/outposts are indeed taking some time. Two to three years it seems. They really should've conveyed that with an old style "calendar flipping" sequence cause now it'll feel like a retcon.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched it last night and I wasn't very impressed. A very generic action film with no memorable scenes. The villain was bland, the romance forced, the action scenes dull, the comedy lacking, and the ending was ridiculous. It wasn't terrible, but just forgettable. Tommy Lee Jones was the only good thing in the film.

C-

7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy if they had Cap fighting some real Nazis in the flashbacks.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would expect some flashbacks in any sequel. It's just too good an opportunity to pass up.

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont know, flashing back to the various battles to take down the Hydra facility, seems like any sequel would be looking backwards, unless they are somehow able to set up a new villian in them, which seems tricky.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

^I've got this image in my head of starting a Captain America sequel with some heroic WWII flashback and then suddenly jumping to the present with Steve Rogers struggling to acclimate to some mundane, annoying aspect of modern life.

I do too, or at least I would if I thought it would be any good. I have a sneaking suspicion that any WWII Captain America sequel would likely follow the formula of diminishing returns established by Iron Man 2.

After watching the movie a 2nd time, I agree. I would have kept the sequence of Captain America waking up in the present but I would have moved it to the end of the credits. The movie proper should end with the shot of the kids playing in the street. For one thing, that would have been a better transition to the heroic closing credits music. It's kind of a jarring transition going to that cue right after the sad beat of "I had a date."

Also, I would have changed it so that the 2 SHIELD guys at the beginning of the film would have been Nick Fury & Agent Coulson instead of 2 random guys we've never seen before.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

*Coulson to Rogers*

"You have 47 unread text messages"

"Why don't we just talk to each other anymore?"

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good ideas. :techman:

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I take from the movie that Steve Rogers is a natural leader of men, but I struggle to see him as a leader of heroes in the modern world, he is going to have to learn alot if he is to lead Iron Man and the rest. Heck neither Thor nor Iron Man strike me as people who are easily to lead. Yet alone by someone with not alot of experince in the mdoern world. Still I guess there is a connect between Iron Mans aromour and Starks flying car in a "I see Stark finally got that flight thing sorted then" type of way.

you may well be correct, but im sure there was a second movie before they jumped to the future.

I agree that might have worked better, its part of what I said about it being its own film.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I could see Iron Man leading them alot more than Cap. Maybe in a while, once he's gotten adjusted to his new timeframe and his teammates, then Cap could lead the team, but definitely not at first.

15. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which, I believe, is how it was in the comics.

Cap didn't become leader of the Avengers until a year or two later. At first it was Iron Man who led the team for the most part although I don't think there was a formal chairman at that time. Tony kinda got the job because he was paying the bills.

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Finally saw the movie. Lots of fun, a good heart. I think having it in World War II definitely shook up the Superhero genre enough to give it a different take. Plus, it's always good when the gods cause Nazi faces to melt off.

I'd say the weak moment was Bucky Barnes' death. I knew of the character, so there was a bit of a shock that they would kill him off, but it also made sense in the story, so I wasn't all that shocked. Maybe die-hard Captain America fans were more shocked? The "goodbye" scene with the crash worked a lot better. I know he survived, but there's something sad about timetravel and everyone you know being dead. Also, it sucks that the Dodgers moved out of Brooklyn.

I think the Avengers will be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it. Glad I managed to see both Thor and Captain America this summer. Definitely set things up a lot better.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bucky appears to die, and then returns in the modern age in the comics, so anybody that knows the Cap mythology wouldn't have been shocked by that.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Cool, didn't know that.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He even becomes Captain America when Steve Rogers appears to die.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like a quick wiki entry cursory read is in order for someone. ;)

James Buchanan Barnes aka Bucky
    aka
    Winter Soldier
    aka
    Captain America