Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Problem with that is that it eventually runs out and you have to go back an get more. I would try to find a cave system where water falls and lava flows are relatively close by. Block them both off and dig the trench between them, with rebuildable and survivable cobblestone canal "locks" between them. That way it's a constantly replenishing source of both resources that can be controlled while mixing. Build a mining station around that area as a secondary base from your primary. Keep in mind that mixing lava and water does not guarantee obsidian (at least in my experience). I was struggling for hours with it and I was only able to harvest one block out of hundreds of cobblestones that were generated with that process. Must be a probabilities thing in the game, like lightning fires, rain and wolves like others have talked about here. I get tons of rain almost every other day and wolves run all over my world. Just the way the biome rolls, I guess.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Unfortunately, you cannot make an infinite lava spring. If you could, then you could easily make an "obsidian factory." Alas, obsidian can only be made from lava springs, and lava springs do not replenish the way water springs do.

The reason you get cobblestone instead of obsidian is that only lava spring blocks produce obsidian. If water hits moving lava, it produces cobblestone.

3. 137th Gebirg

AH! That explains it then. Thanks - I'm still pretty new to the MC world (into it only about 3 weeks now).

4. Robert Maxwell

I highly recommend you look at the Minecraft Wiki, which tells you a lot about the game mechanics that may not be so obvious--such as how the liquids work, how fire spreads, the importance of light sources, etc.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, guys! Been having a lot of fun with it :)

Yeah, I know I should be running a different texture pack, but I don't really know if my computer would be up to the task, If I end up with a higher resolution one. What would you recommend?

I've thought about a skylight, but I wasn't sure how to incorporate it within multiple floors, but I do have an idea. I think I'll take the middle of the floor and either make it an open space or a glass floor. I'll have to experiment and see what works best.

In doing this, I've been trying to stick to real-world design philosophies. Everything like the tree stumps as wooden beams helps to serve as a framework, that also get incorporated into the interior design. Helps it feel organic and unified. The only thing is, I wish the game would have the ability to rotate blocks, because I'd rather have my stumps sitting horizontally rather than vertically.

6. 137th Gebirg

Yep - been there and found some great mapping tools and other tips that others here have been mentioning. There's a lot in there and I feel I've only just scratched the surface. Just have to keep digging - pun not intended. Thanks much! :techman:

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless your machine is already struggling with default game, or if you try to run an uber-HD texture, like 128x or 256x, it shouldn't effect performance. I'm using a 32x pack myself and things run just fine.

Things are a bit wierd with texture packs right now. Before 1.5 there was a program that would install them for you. Now its easier to just use WinRAR (available at most free program download sites) and replace files manually.

You'll also need this program http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=252531 to mod the game so it'll accept HD textures.

I'm kinda fond of DokuCraft myself. http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=224969

Nothing wrong with glass floors. I use them all the time when I do muliple floors. Just dig out a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 section one above the other on every floor.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. Owain Taggart

Ok, I just tried that one.

Opinions? Same two views, except for the skylight in place now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thing is, I'm fnding the colours a bit drab with this and it's the light version too. I kind of like everything to be bright and cheerful and I'm not really liking how the glass shows up.

9. Owain Taggart

Ok, that last one is a bit dark for my tastes and I think I found one I really like. It's 128, but it's quite nice without straying too much from the original look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To me, it fits the ambience that I'm going for much more.

10. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really dig the skylight, and the new texture pack just makes it look that much more awesome. I do have a question though, since lightning is known to burn wooden structures is there anything you can do to stop it from torching your house?

I'd hate to see all that work disappear!

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, Owain. Here I was wondering if you'd need help installing it and your world looks better than mine! :lol:

Really gorgeous. I like it!

I'm a bit confused about lightning starting fires though. Doesn't the rain put it out?

Since I'm assuming it strikes the roof and works its way down, best bet would be to try the stacked half-block trick I mentioned a page or two back.

One thing I've always wanted to try is to build a structure with a layer of water blocks between the roof and the ceiling. Minecraft sprinkler system? ;)

12. Owain Taggart

Yep, I know what you mean, warlok. It's something I've been thinking about. I'm thinking of rebuilding it with half-blocks, although it would take a lot of time doing that, so maybe someone can help me to get it done quicker.

Hah yeah, Cutter. I just ran with it! :lol: No sign of any performance issues either. The texturepack in question is Area 19:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=317411&sid=0e58c68238774da5308e992844d62505

As for the lightning, it's what I posted a few posts ago:
    So, yeah, makes me nervous everytime it rains.

13. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Now I demand you go around the map taking screenshots of all my stuff. :p

14. Owain Taggart

Hah, I can do that. Just point me in the right direction :D

15. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've had this game a few months, and playing multiplayer hasn't ever crossed my mind. I'd really like to find a server to play on! SSP has its perks, but after awhile being out in the empty vastness all by yourself gets a bit boring.

I really like the idea of the "minecraft sprinkler system". Putting water between the roof and ceiling would probably quell any fires started by lightning.

I hope the next update to minecraft gives us more crafting recipes... I'm running out of things to create!

16. Robert Maxwell

Your house is looking pretty sweet, Owain! I haven't been on the server in a couple days but I will be back soon. I think I've spent more time on maintenance the past few days than actually playing...

17. Owain Taggart

Thanks, Robert! It's great fun seeing something that you've created come together. I can kind of see how architects feel in seeing the buildings they've designed come to life.

18. Owain Taggart

Well, I walked around and took in the local scenery and took shots of what I saw with my new texturepack.

First up, Robert's sandcastle and boat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Dave must be jumping for joy with these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's actually quite lucky as his lavafall appears in many other shots.

Onto other things. Here's the town square:

[​IMG]

Hotel with huge mushroom:
    [​IMG]

Spawn point:
    [​IMG]

Our illustrious leader in his natural habitat:

[​IMG]

One thing I dislike about this theme is the glass. It's still not perfect. In fact, pretty much every theme I've seen has this problem, as they look too transparent. I know people dislike the reflection marks on glass, but it helps give it a sense of depth and solidness. See for yourself with the glass tower:

[​IMG]

And lastly, a set of views taken from the tower:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  19. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Nice. :cool: Everything looks pretty awesome with that pack.

20. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I like it quite a bit. It gives it a certain medieval feel to it.