SUPERMAN(2012) Inspired By Secret Origin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's a difference between drawing on a story for inspiration and copying that story.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i would argue that Braniac could challenge Superman in terms of intellect and strength. Luthor has had several movies and tv shows to battle Superman. Braniac had Smallville. and some cartoons. let Luthor be in the background, Superman can fight Braniac. after Superman wins Luthor uses stolen Braniac tech to battle Superman in his suit of armor.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep Brainiac is also a good intellectual and physical match for Superman and would please those who are sick of Luthor I would assume. House of UIster is correct though, if they're using "Superman:Secret Origin" as inspiration for the screenplay then Lex will most likely be in the forefront of this movie again. We'll have to wait and see what the plot actually is though.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if it's Legion coming back in time to warn Clark, won't this mean Brainiac has already turned face? I'd love to see Brainiac be the primary villain though. And after reading the wiki description for Secret Origins, why do I feel like alot of elements were taken from various Smallville episodes ? So going back to my original question will this movie essentially be bases off of Smallville, sans the teeny bopper-ness?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Anybody who doesn't know Superman's origins by now are not goin' to spend money to see a movie about the character, anyway.

6. Admiral_Young

The Legion sadly most likely will not be used. As Christopher stated earlier...Secret Origins (again if true) is just the basis for inspiration, the Legion won't be in it. Also Brainy (or Brainiac 5) is not the Brainiac you're thinking of ObiWan, he's a direct descendant of Brainiac Prime.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet people spent good money to see Batman Begins or the first Spider-Man movie.

8. Admiral_Young

^ Indeed and will continue to do so.

9. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I suspect people are getting too caught up in the origin premise. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing the infant Kal-El rocketing away from Krypton. Everyone knows how he got here. We know he's Superman. We need to know why he's Superman. Likely we'll see the "Secret Origin" elements incorporated as quick glimpses (perhaps even flashbacks) into how Clark reconciled his past with his destiny to come.

10. Admiral_Young

^ This is what I suspected as well. Again much like "Batman Begins" was structured. I don't think we'll be seeing any Kryptonian back story unless it's shot in some short flashback sequence.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man was the first movie about Spider-Man. Of course people went out to see it.

And Batman Begins had the added bonus of villians - Ra's Al Ghul & the Scarecrow - that hadn't been used before.

Superman's origin story, featurin' Lex Luthor...yay...

:rolleyes:

12. Admiral_Young

^ I guess you'll be avoiding it then :)

13. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

If you really read between the lines, I think what Goyer is saying is more that his approach to Clark and Superman as a character is influenced by this, rather than the films story. Clark's desire to be human, how lonely it is to be Superman.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Emo Superman eh? Hope he's not a cutter....

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Because comics have always followed the lead of popular mass-media adaptations of their characters. TV and movies have vastly larger audiences than comic books, after all. Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, the Daily Planet, and Kryptonite were introduced in the Superman radio show and incorporated into the comics. The Fleischer cartoon shorts changed Superman's ability to leap 1/8 mile at a time into full-on flight because it worked better visually, and the comics followed suit. The John Byrne reboot version of Superman was heavily influenced by Christopher Reeve. Batgirl was invented for Batman comics because the makers of the '60s TV series wanted a Batgirl. And so on. Smallville has been the most widely known incarnation of Superman for the past decade, and the most long-running screen interpretation of Superman in history, so it's natural that today's comics would be influenced by it.

No reason to assume that. As both Frontier and I have said, there's a huge difference between using something as a source of inspiration and copying it wholesale. A single story can have many inspirations, can take elements from many different influences and blend them together into something new. Morrison's All-Star Superman was heavily influenced by Silver/Bronze Age Superman comics, but is radically different from them as well.

Not to mention that any movie script goes through a long development and rewriting process with many hands involved in shaping it in response to a variety of needs and agendas. Even if a script starts out with a single direct inspiration, the final product can be radically different from it. For instance, the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie that's in production now is based on and named for the novel On Stranger Tides, but it's telling a largely different story with different characters. Inspiration can be a very loose thing.

16. Obiwanshinobi

So essentially its a snake eating its own tale.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can tell Superman's origin as many times as they like, as long as the movie is good. It's like watching The Wizard Of Oz.

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Not if I can see it for free, like I did the last one.

:techman:

19. Admiral_Young

ObiWan no one knows what this movie will be except DC ENT execs, Chris Nolan, Jonah Nolan, and David Goyer! What was posted in the original article is purely speculation. That is all we have on this movie yet. The only thing we do know that seems to be confirmed is that the film will be shot in Vancouver :) There is nothing confirmed or known about the plot, casting, who will be composing the film, etc. It was reported a month or so ago that Zack will be getting more hands on with this project once he wraps up his commitments for "Sucker Punch" which should be soon since he's been in post-production for a while now. I suspect we'll be hearing significant news about this film (including the title which isn't known yet either) sometime in the new year, maybe as soon as next month.

20. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, it's another origin story? Great. There are children in utero that already know the origin. Why can't a Superman movie just open with the mythos established? Supes, Lex, Lois, Jimmy, The Kents, are already in place. No tearful farewell on an exploding Krypton, not 20 minute soulsearch into true heritages, no ridiculous meet cutes between reporters. Just open credits, zoom in on Metropolis, and then cue the slam bang slugfest on the streets between Superman and The Parasite, or Metallo, or Silver Banshee, or any second or third tier villain. Battle over, move on to the main plot. Remember the first Star Wars movie when the audience were immediately thrown into the action after the credits? That's how a Superman movie should be done.