Seriously now, isn't the newest Trek movie just...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Chrisisall, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

a singularity...an oddity, a potential that cannot be exactly quantified until the next movie?
    I thought it was a hoot, and I can't WAIT 'till the DVD, but, what if the next one comes up short?

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Nope.

3. Chrisisall

As in, the next one will be GREAT? I have high hopes!:techman:

4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

It depends on how the creative forces behind the next film approach it. If they keep the same, careful and thoughtful approach then it has a good chance to be another well recieved critical and popular success. If they in some way try to pander to one audience or another, then there will be problems.

This is one reason I hope Bob and Alex do not revisit too heavily a previous Trek story, and I think they are very smart and know that themselves.

5. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

Sigh. Many people on here were predicting that Trek 09 would "come up short." This continued until the box office returns finally silenced such comments. Now the cycle is beginning again, with people speculating that the next one might "come up short."

6. Chrisisall

Even/Odd whatever fears?

7. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

Naw...Nemesis disproved the "even is good" theory. Trek 09 further demolished this theory when it was spectacular.

Let's just have some faith that the creative team who brought us Trek 09 will create another great flick for us.

8. Chrisisall

So far, so good!:techman:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  9. gimpy117

gimpy117 Commander Red Shirt

it seems the winning combination is there, and as long as they keep it that way trek may be cool enough to get the non nerds to come and see it

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Opinions may vary, but I think the odd/even "curse" only started with TFF and TUC. That's right, four movies before someone noticed a bad one!

And even then, TMP and TSFS weren't that bad, either. Frankly, in some respects, TMP is the kind of Trek movie I'd wish for had it been edited more carefully.

So even if we're scared about the odd/even curse, I'd still give JJ the benefit of the doubt about three more times before we can decide :)

11. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The even/odd curse is silliness (since if you ask me, II and X were garbage, and VII and III were decent, and thought XI was great). I don't think there's any point worrying or speculating about the quality of Star Trek XII, especially since NOTHING is known about what'll happen in it. I will, as I did before XI's release, remain cautiously optimistic. It's a damn roulette when it comes to these movies. Just cross your fingers and hope it turns out well.

12. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

All I know is I'm pretty impatient and want some news about it NAO.

13. Larraby

Larraby Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's amazing how people have such different perceptions about the movies.

Your thinking that TWOK was "garbage" is very much in the minority as many people believe it to be the best of the series.

How you can think II was garbage and XI was "great" is beyond me as the latter should be the one described as pure garbage. It arguably has the most stupid storyline of the entire series.

14. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Commander Red Shirt

To be honest I found the film to be very silly with little or no substance. I'm not talking about nitty gritty detail like making a Cadet into a Captain. Thats stupid it;s self. But punishing Kirk by blasting him off the ship or having Scotty beam into a water tube.

Oh well. I'll ignore it. I'm not a hater and I'm willing to support anything Trek that doesn't make me fall asleep.

I just hope they are bit more sensible in the next film.

15. Cyke101

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, too. Frankly, i think TVH has a contrived story, but really it takes a back seat to all the character interaction and humor, and I think it still stands up as one of the best Trek films.

Additionally, while I like TWOK, I also like XI, too. There's no point in arguing opinion.

16. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I think that's a perfectly reasonable question, and I've wondered about it myself. I think Star Trek is very much back in the general public's perception, in a way it hasn't been for quite some time, but I'm still waiting on the next movie and maybe another TV series before I really believe it's back to the firm footing it once held.

I'm more inclined to think that the momentum will continue, but I don't think it's as set in stone as some people seem to believe.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

My take on it is that it was very calculated to hit all the right notes - appease fans, appeal to the mass market, succeed as a big-budget shoot-em-up, garner good critical reviews as being more intelligent and character based than the average summer popcorn fare, re-establish Star Trek as a respectable brand name and not a campy joke or a has-been. That's a lot to accomplish in a mere two hours, but they did it.

I don't think it's any kind of accident. Abrams and co. know what needs to be done, and are capable of doing it. Why would this suddenly change in the next movie? If Star Trek had a self-limiting premise, then maybe it would run the risk of wearing out its welcome, but it has one of the most open ended premises of any concept in TV and movies, so this isn't a problem either.

There's really nothing on the horizon that would trip up the revitalized engine of Star Trek, in movies, on TV, books, video games, etc. They can take this anywhere, as long as they stick to the core values that they've proven they understand. The rest is just implementation - solving the problem of where a Star Trek TV series would air, for example, since all the candidates have drawbacks. Not a big worry for me - solving problems is why people get paychecks.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well Transformers 2 was much worse than Transformers 1 and it made a lot more money. So yeah it could be worse but more successful...it could also be better and more successful.

RAMA

19. Cyke101

I'd like to note the recent trend (and it's an unscientific observation) of sequels these days being better or at least on par with their predecessors. I say that as a means to cling to hope.

Ie, films like Hellboy 2, the Dark Knight, Pirates of the Carribbean, the Bourne Trilogy, Harry Potter, etc. etc. I hear Ed Norton's Hulk was an improvement too, but I haven't seen it.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The OP really doesn't make any sense. If the next movie comes up short, somehow you'll retroactively feel different about the last movie?