Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

last thing i read about the delay was from Weaver's blog. he stated that issue #5 of SHIELD was finished and #6 was nearly done. if you haven't read it yet you should check out the first volume. great stuff.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Superior Spider-Man #9.

I was concerned four months ago that Dan Slott was not the writer to pull off the phildickian mindfuck implications of his concept.

I was right to be concerned. He's not.

What we have is... okay. It's a slight issue that lacks any dramatic heft. It's a superficial story that doesn't get at the underlying issues.

Great. Peter Parker's memories are gone. Ho-hum. That's how the issue reads. Amazing Spider-Man #700 was more effective than this.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That is indeed a Fantastic price. I paid $55 for mine a year ago and was stoked then since it was over 1/2 off.
    If this is your first Omni, congrats. If you like the format you might look into some online retailers with similar deals. Currently various online outlets have had great deals on Atlantis Attacks, Secret Wars II, Women of Marvel, X-Static, X-men by Claremont/Byrne vol.1 and some others for nearly as great a deal.

They are making way for inventory heavy items hitting last half of this year INCLUDING FF vol.2 by Byrne(Dec '13). Lots of warehouse space needed as Marvel is cranking them out last half of the year.
    Other Omnis coming:
    1. New Warriors vol.1
    2. Wolverine by Mark Millar
    3. Thor Silver Age vol.2
    4. West Coast Avengers vol.2
    5. Fantastic Four vol.1 by Hickman
    6. Fantastic Four vol.2 by Byrne
    7. Iron Man by Busiek (late 90's material)
    8. Amazing Spiderman Silver Age vol.2 (second print, OOP 1yr)
    9. Uncanny X-Men vol.1 (second printing, been OOP for about 3yrs)
    10. Fantastic Four Silver Age vol.2 (second printing, OOP for about 3yrs also)
    11. Daredevil by Frank Miller (second print, OOP 3yrs also)
    12. Uncanny X-Men vol.2 (rumored)

I'll be getting them all(except ASM vol.2, already have it). I like the format. I have over 30 Omnis now. So glad to see those second prints coming as they went OOP about the time I started noticing the format.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Allyn...it's still part of an ongoing story (just as Amazing Spider-Man #700 was) and basically what I predicted would happen. This is still only a temporary measure (I know we probably disagree on how Slott is handling this but that's okay).

The fun part is going to see how he brings back Peter now as well as see how Otto does without his influence. We've also been teased that things will get worse before they get better...and no doubt when Peter does return (most likely now next year in time for the film as everyone has stated) he will not only have to rebuild his life, he'll have to rebuild his career, and his reputation, unless Otto is able to put his enormous ego in check and actually realize the things that made Peter Spider-Man in the first place.

The only thing I've been wrong on so thus far is that I thought Slott might try and bring back Peter early...but now after this issue I'm with the rest of everyone else and think we'll see him back before or around the movie. It'll be the big Spider-Event. "The Return of Peter Parker" or some such.

The other thing that hasn't really been touched upon yet is how does this latest develop affect the deal with Mephisto? I still think this is Slott's sneaky way of slowly unraveling One More Day. Mephisto must be pissed off right now ;)

5. Allyn Gibson

Oh, I totally get that.

But I'm referring to this issue. On its own, it's extremely superficial. Slott's writing lacks the depth that Philip K. Dick or Warren Ellis would bring to the concept. You have two personalities fighting for control of a single mind. What we get is a brief battle that lacks stakes or any sense of jeopardy.

It's not a good issue. And just because it's part of a larger plan that will play out over the next year, eighteen months, that doesn't forgive it for that flaw. On its own, there's nothing to recommend this issue.

At best, it's just there.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So Otto playing Spidey and insisting he can do it better is heavily shaded by themes from Kraven's Last Hunt. Kravinov also sought to be the better Spiderman. That was at least part of the story. Both stories have Peter "dead" during it.

7. Admiral_Young

Slott still is growing as a writer, compared to where he was when he first started the book (I had a ton of issues with his writing back then) he's improved considerably. Is he anywhere near those other writers you mentioned? Not yet...but yeah I have a feeling this particular issue was meant for reaction purposes not so much anything else. Kind of makes you wonder how a Jonathan Hickman would have handled this whole concept doesn't it :) Talk about mind blowing :)

@Craig...yeah it has a bit of the elements from "Kraven's Last Hunt" in it so it's not an entirely original concept, and I've commented about that way back in the thread. Fans were actually more meh about it than anything...and I know I've been championing the book for the most part alone in this thread, but it's been tons of fun.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Is that really a fair critique? As far as I am aware, Dick wasn't required to knock out books aimed at the hamburger franchise crowd which have to come out every month without fail. If he was writing like Philip K. Dick, he would likely be fired within weeks because the majority of the readers would not like it/could not understand it!

It is like complaining the guy working the grill at McD's isn't turning out stuff of the same standard as Ferran AdriĆ 

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No offense, but....

Yay! more of the Spider-Man is a perpetual loser crap :rolleyes:

Seriously why is it that they only non-annoying, mediocre, and at this point repetitive stuff coming out thats Spider-Man related is coming from Sony and not Marvel. It's kind of sad that the company that only has a few of the other material rights is doing a better job with the character than the people who own the rest of the right and created the guy.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was surprised that Peter was erased in this issue, since we all know he'll be back eventually.

11. Hartzilla2007

So was the Clone Saga.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah, except this has been better written and more enjoyable than that was :)

13. Hartzilla2007

It didn't celebrate 700 issues of the comic and 50 years of the character by having him essentially murdered and his life stolen by a psychopath with megalomania.

And the predictability and tedium of it makes me question the better written and more enjoyable part not to mention ripping off what was probably a better story or from the sound of it two better stories.

14. Allyn Gibson

I think Philip K. Dick, from the mid-50s to the mid-60s, when he was writing five to seven novels and fifteen to twenty short stories a year just so he and his family could have a roof over their heads and food on their plates, would be the first person to say that was he wrote was crap aimed at the hamburger franchise crowd.

Yes, he aspired to more than that (see his posthumously published mainstream fiction of the same era) and he was capable of more than that (see, well, any of the major works of the period, such as The Man in the High Castle or Martian Time-Slip), but he also had a formula that sold and sold well enough that he could live.

15. Admiral_Young

I beg to differ about celebrating Peter's anny. It used his very first villain and finally a plan of that villain's was finally realized...albeit botched. Perhaps it's not the thing that fans were expecting...I know I wasn't...but it still could be a lot worse than what've got. I know I'm not going to win the argument here, and I've been a Spider-Man fan since I was four years old and have been his comics for that long as well...and I think it's been fun and for the most part really well done. I know I'm in the minority and that's okay.

Plus we've got Miguel to look forward to :)

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

....i dunno about that! :p

17. Hartzilla2007

Plus I think people actually liked Ben Riley.

This is more like the Jean Paul Valley tenure as Batman after he went psycho.

18. Admiral_Young

^ Oh I agree with that. People did like Ben Riley (I among them) , some of course even speculated that he was coming back and would be Superior Spider-Man. Then we have what looks to be a variation on his suit upcoming as well.

19. Allyn Gibson

I liked Jean-Paul. :)

Yes, even in his psycho Batman stage.

If I could write a Jean-Paul book in the New 52, I'd do it. In a heartbeat. I know my concept. I even know who the surrounding cast would be.

20. Admiral_Young

^ I would read your Jean-Paul new 52 book :)