Do you think LotR holds up?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by suarezguy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

The movies themselves hold up pretty well as one grand epic split into three parts (the Extended editions only improve upon this).

Parts will always fall by the wayside and could have been done differently and everybody has different parts they don't like.. i could have used less comic relief Gimli which i attribute to the insane notion that all action movies need someone funny to lighten the mood.

Could have also used less ridiculous Legolas stunts.. we know that Elves are far more agile than anybody else but surfing down stairs on a shield while shooting Orcs? :rolleyes: I love the small details that show these differences such as Legolas walking on the snow while everybody else sinks in.. it was a bit more subtle and not on the nose like some other scenes with him.

Digital effects also look a bit wonky sometimes, especially when they used the mass software to show huge amounts of troops.. especially noticeable in the final battle at the Gates of Mordor when Sauron dies and his troops are fleeing (though the team did a brilliant job often finishing the effects just mere weeks before release).

I especially love the first movie. Fellowship of the Ring has everything in it.. establishing the characters very well, action, fantasy and huge emotional moments ( i nearly broke down twice when the Fellowship mourned Gandalf after he fell in Moria and when Sam declared his friendship to Frodo at the end of the movie "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee!" :weep::techman:).

No matter the faults or deviations from the books i still love these movies because i'm a huge fantasy fan and this is one of the biggest epics in that genre done very well.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

By who? The people involved in making it?

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

A prequel to what? Batman Forever?

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Probably by media, and I don't remember anyone involved calling it a reboot prior to release, or otherwise stating that it was going to ignore the existing movies in any way... All this was almost a decade ago.

A prequel to Tim Burton's 1989. Batman, obviously.

5. Set Harth

Well, there you go. Who ever said they knew what the **** they were talking about?

6. theenglish

Really, I don't recall ever hearing this. By 2006, Tim Burton's Batman was fifteen years old and Burton was not involved in Begins at all.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I remember reading that BB would be an origin story, which we didn't really get in the Burton films. That may be why some thought it would be a prequel.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Certainly not me.

No, by 2006 Tim Burton's Batman was 17 years old, and Batman Begins came out in 2005. Eight years after Joel Schumacher's (vomit inducing) Batman & Robin, the one that Burton had nothing to do with, although it obviously belonged to "Burton-verse".

Could be. Like I said, it was a long time ago.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Half the time they use that word as if they don't know what it means.

Most likely, the other half of the time they still don't know what it means but they use it correctly by accident. ;)

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ironic to mention this, given the DS9/B5 arguments back in the day, but Babylon 5 pretty much has exactly the problem you describe hypothetically for DS9. I know some people enjoy its last season, but I was never that fond of it. It seemed tacked on.

Come on, that CGI looked extremely ropey back in the day too.

Overall though, yes there is some rough-looking CGI, and yes some of the performances are a bit shaky. But they remain an enjoyable movie series. I like FOTR best for its atmosphere and tone, while TTT has serious pacing issues (I skip most of the middle third of the film). ROTK is good, but demands serious patience due to its length, so I rarely rewatch it. But all these problems were present at the time so it's not really a question of "holding up" or not.

11. theenglish

I like my extended DVD's and usually watch as a six part movie.

12. Set Harth

It kind of fits the written story being divided into 6 "books".

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

During the screenings of the first two EE's on Trilogy Tuesday in 2003, a good number of the viewers in my theater got up to use the bathroom at exactly the points where the discs need to be changed. Pavlov would have been proud.