TARDIS Eye of Harmony

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Noddy, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wikipedia assures me that a gravitational singularity is a black hole, a black hole is a collapsed star, and a collapsed star is a star that hasn't as yet fufilled the first step of collapse which is super nova.

The eye of Harmony is a Collapsing Star stunted into perpetual collapse towards singularity. Although I don't think it's slowed down or paused, some TimeLord bastard is probably rolling it backwards and forwards between the limits of star and singularity like punk kids playing gotcha with a poindexter's knapsack.

If this was true you would think that that this "space time event" being pumped and pulled like an accordion would have never made it all the way to singularity, but then what the frakk was Omega using to power up his Summer home?

2. Noddy

Noddy Captain

How can it not have fulfilled the first step of collapse if it's CALLED a collapsed star?

3. Noddy

Noddy Captain

And what's the relationship between the Eye on Gallifrey and the black hole said to have been created by Omega in The Three Doctors, which was also said to be the source of the Time Lords' power?

4. Guy Gardener

Why so linear?

Remember when the TARDIS blowing up, wound back and blowing up again over and over again was mistaken for the sun?

A leads to B leads to C leads to A.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

There is Thurstons hyperbolic paper, a type of fabric that you cannot lie flat--it has more and more space as it moves from the center--that is how I look at the eye. The book was Curious and interesting Geometry--with the drawing by John Sharp...

Some interesting links
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthr...able-Achronal-Retrograde-Domains-In-Spacetime

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/qu...perbolic-geometry-to-cube-complexes-and-back/
    http://books.google.com/books/about/Fundamentals_of_Hyperbolic_Manifolds.html?id=MoZlcJv6ww0C

6. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Maybe the collapsing star in JTTCOTT is only one component of the TARDIS Eye, with the singularity in the TV Movie being another?

7. Guy Gardener

How does the eye tie in to regeneration if it's just a massive car battery?

8. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No idea. The 11th Doctor said that exposure over millions of years to the Untempered Schism was tied to their ability to regenerate. The schism is an opening in the space/time continuum; "a gap in the fabric of reality from which can be seen the whole of the (Time) Vortex".

I'll assume the artron energy, "background radiation", you get doused with by traveling through the Time Vortex probably has something to do with it; but does the Eye of Harmony also generate this type of radiation?

9. Guy Gardener

Most of those millions of years when the schism affected/(unconsciously)directed their development might have been during their most earliest stages, when they were still simple organisms in the Gallifreyan seas.

Sorta like that Thing Q tried to put into the soup on Earth in All Good Things.

To think that they were post-atomic and only then began to mutate slowly over the course of millions of years, seems like a fate they would be savvy enough to fight, direct or ward against similar to the decisions Davros had to make as his people were turning into Jellyfish, and he "NO! FUCK THAT! We should be Octopuses!" It's almost like the schism was something the future did to Gallifrey to make to derail some unwanted future where they were not up to snuff..

Which matches what happened to the Daleks early life on Skaro. They searched space in all directions for 8 galaxies only to find out that they were alone and that it was fantastic to be the only life form in the universe and that any change tot hat status quo would be unsavoury... Methinks the Daleks at the end of time steam rolled over 8 galaxies worth of life to make sure that their cradle was adequately and beautifully barren.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they meant 8 star systems not galaxies. The Milky Way alone was called "The Universe" once--with true galaxies called island universes...

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

What have you been smoking? Q didn't put or try to put anything into the "primordial soup" of Earth. As I recall, he pointed out to Picard that the anti-time anomaly prevented the amino acids in that snot-pond they were standing near from combining into "life", or whatever. So Q showed him how Picard was at fault for destroying life on Earth, the Federation, and the whole galaxy.

But he didn't try to put anything into the soup.

12. Guy Gardener

Q made the cloud. The cloud got in the soup.

It's a tiny stretch to fit a pattern of retroactive continuity.

Sometimes I use a meat hammer to play with my jigsaw puzzles.

Thing = Cloud.

Tried = didn't quite actually spike the punch.

13. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Q did NOT make the cloud. Picard created it by firing the tachyon beam(s) from the three ships into one weak focal point of time/anti-time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. Guy Gardener

Q made Picard make the cloud by pushing him back and forth through time, therefore Q made the cloud.

You really believe that there is no one behind the curtain?

Old man Picard would never have done what he did unless he hadn't been provoked by Q.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Well, then, Q also made Picard realize what was going on (Picard can be rather slow sometimes), and therefore saved the day by proxy. If Q caused the problem, he also resolved it.

16. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're wrong.

Q time-shifted Picard to SHOW him how HE (Picard) destroyed all life on Earth. The Q Continuem setup the initial paradox, but it was essentially a trap for Picard to fall into, which he initially did. It was thanks to the time-shifts that Picard realized the paradox and set things right. Yes, the test was thought up by the Q Continuem and carried out by Q, but Picard is the one who pulled the trigger (as it were).

Q did not put anything in the soup, as you put it.

17. Guy Gardener

Picard pulled the trigger?

Q put the gun in Picard's hand, then told him where to shoot.

This is just like When Bart grabs Lisa by the wrists and begins forcing her to slap her, while saying "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

There would be no trigger to pull if Q hadn't interfered in the first place.

19. Guy Gardener

What if it's the "I" of Harmony and not the "Eye" of Harmony?

A device that controls I's (your) Harmony.

That totally sounds like it's technology fissured around regeneration.

The flame of the Sisterhood of Karn, that's their "I".

Obviously their I is made from something much smaller than a collapsed star.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Or it's the ""I" of Harm'o'knee", i.e. the inner destructive impulse which motivates people to harm their knees.