Enterprise post tv finale relaunch

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Janos, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And really, that's just Earth/Federation history.

We've never seen the Klingons conquered by the Hur'q, or the Hur'q overthrow, we've had only glimpses of pre-united Bajor, we have one line of onscreen dialogue referencing the founding of the Dominion (the pre-Vorta rescued the Founders, so the Founders rewarded them by making them the Dominion's managers), we haven't actually seen any of the Hebitian Age (unless you count the Oralian Way, who are more a Hebitian relic than a living society), we know little about the Vulcan/Andor war, and nothing about the Tellarites. . .

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well don't tell it. A compelling novel has a story that needs to be told. Or an author who can make the story seem like it needs to be told.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You missed the point. No piece of entertainment needs to exist - people just like these things, and that's all.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

All good points! The history of the Trekverse has plenty of interesting places for stories to emerge. :)

Exactly. I mean, hell, nothing in Star Trek needs to be told. The stories are told because the authors and editors think they'll make for good stories, not because of some imaginary "need."

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see some 'Lost Era' type releases between ENT and TOS. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see some ENT cast make it into the TOS era either.

If there's to be no more ENT novels, that would be a way forward...

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially if you follow what was in Archer and Hoshi's bios in IAMD.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Admiral Archer is very much alive and well in Trek 11 - no reason he shouldn't be in the Prime universe. Hoshi and T'Pol should be. I'd have thought Vulcan medicine might keep Trip alive too.

How long do Denobulans live ?

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They never said it was Jonathan Archer. As far as we can tell from the canonical information in the film, it could've been his son or granddaughter.

Not to mention that the Abrams film was set nearly a decade before Prime-timeline TOS. If it were Jonathan, he would've been pretty damn ancient in 2257 (145 years, to be precise, which would be astonishingly old for a human of that generation). His odds of making it to the TOS era proper would be extremely slim.

And for what it's worth, the IaMD bio screen had Archer die in 2245, though I don't think that part was seen on camera.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Another fine theory scuppered by fact...

:)

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not by fact, since Trek is fiction.

Mike Sussman wrote the IaMD bio as an easter egg for OCD fans who recorded, paused, zoomed in and had HD. Bad Robot wrote an easter egg into the dialogue for Enterprise fans to pick up on (and they are on record saying it's meant to be the guy from Enterprise. Scott Bakula assumed it was meant to be him, too)

So.... what's more binding? Dialogue or an unintelligible screen graphic?

And, FWIW, Archer did more time travelling than anyone else in Trek!

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've always thought life expectancy in Trek is a bit low for that far in the future, and there's always the time travel aspect...

If Bad Robot say it I'll go with them.

12. Christopher

That's a contradictory argument. What the filmmakers said offscreen and what Mike Sussman wrote offscreen are of exactly equal canon value, i.e. none. They both come from producers and they're both offscreen information, so it makes no sense to treat one as more authoritative than the other.

In terms of onscreen, canonical information, all we actually know is that there is an Admiral Archer in 2258 and that he or she owned a beagle. We have no onscreen evidence to prove that's Jonathan Archer instead of Richard Archer or Susan Archer or Takuya Huitzilopochtli Archer III. And actuarially speaking, given what we know about life expectancy in Trek, the odds of a human born in 2112 still being alive in 2258 would be staggeringly low, so it's immensely more likely to be a different person named Archer.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It could easily be contradicted if it's not on screen...and possibly be contradicted even if it was !

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish Micheal Martin's middle book of the Romulan war trilogy would've been published.In Shariel's jaws sounds like areally neat book.

15. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I enjoyed them. My only problem with them is that both Romulan War books had information that was not needed in the story. I know that with To Brave the Storm it had to be wrapped up quickly. But there was still some info in there that was not needed. If you read them you will see what I mean. I though did enjoy them and am glad that I did.
    And The Good that Men Do was good because it gave you a totally different perspective of "These are the Voyages". Even though I have seen it several times, after reading the book I had to go back and rewatch it thru new eyes. Made me hate the episode less.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm sure all of that story is compressed into the final part of the duology. They are both fairly hefty novels for ST.

17. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the review, ReedEnt! :)

If I ever finish Collision Course, I might pick them up.

18. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

So is Enterprise lit now done. No more?

19. Christopher

Ummmm... no.

20. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Fantastic!