Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's more Skeets than Michael for me ;) Skeets!!

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Well Skeets without Booster is like chocolate without peanut butter! They belong together! :D

3. Admiral_Young

Even Skeets admits that ;) But still...SKEETS! He will stop Doomsday himself. "Sorry sir, but I knew you would botch it somehow." "Thanks for that bode of confidence Skeets." "Your welcome sir."

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Now THERE'S something we can all agree upon! (the chocolate and PB thing, that is).

:lol:

Now, will someone tell me why suddenly we see Skeets flying around when in the S10 ep he was just an earpiece?

The time-travel thing still bugs me though. I still say that if you've skipped over a thousand years, then you can't have any history in those years from the point you left the present. It just doesn't make sense that you'd have this 'history' that you weren't there to participate in.

If that's the case, then shouldn't Clark have memory of those events?

Oy, my mind is beginning to hurt, like Cat Grant is talking again.

:p

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

BTW, I still haven't read the issues you guys have... I'll be catching up in total this weekend, per my usual method.

:bolian:

6. Admiral_Young

I'm assuming Ted gave Michael upgrades for Skeets at somepoint. We don't know what they've been going prior to seeing them in "Argo". Remember that this is Q taking elements and concepts from the series and incorporating, and expanding upon them with the freedom he has in the comic book format. He won't have time to explain everything. Or perhaps he will in a side-story. I'm guessing Skeets is appearing as his usual self because Q basically has the freedom now to do that.

Imra doesn't look at all like Alexz Johnson but that surprisingly doesn't bother me. Most of the Legion look exactly like their comic book counter parts, Rokk and Garth kind of resemble their actors to a degree.

Why would Clark have memories that haven't taken place yet? For him? He has technically skipped anything. He's been time displaced. Like the type of travel we see in "Doctor Who". Besides which as I pointed out earlier, he will most likely return to the point of time where he was first taken from. So no time will have passed.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Just in time for the finale, SWEET! So what's the next storyline about?

8. Admiral_Young

Diana's arc.

9. Admiral James Kirk

HOO-HA! I totally forgot about Wonder Woman! YES! What about the skip week arc?

10. Admiral_Young

The third side-story arc hasn't been revealed yet...at least I don't think it has. Diana's arc though debuts in two weeks, then the third side story arc. Then we require another schedule update from Q's blog.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Except that when he and Booster are temporally displaced by the ring, then he was no longer there to create the history that Rokk, Imra and Garth knew when they first come back. History was changed. This is the point that I am (unsuccessfully) trying to make here. It would be no different than if Clark got aboard a spaceship and traveled at the SoL until a thousand years had passed outside the ship. He wouldn't have been around from the point that he entered the ship. History would've changed the moment that 'Superman' disappeared. History, in this version of the 31st century, should show that Clark/Supes mysteriously disappeared 1,000 years earlier and never showed back up. History will be RESTORED when he's deposited back at the point he left, thereby being able to create the future history that the Legionaires know.

BTW, thanks for the theory regarding Skeets' new visibility. Sounds good to me.

:)

12. Admiral James Kirk

Pro: Stop with your logical thinking and get comic booky here. :D The laws of physics that protect a temporally displaced Superman's place in history are identical to the movie physics that allow Marty McFly travel into the future to do something about his kids.

But allow my friends on the Satellite o' Love to help you out here.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwh1Wtb8QE[/yt]

You should really just relax. ;)

EDIT:

Had an inspired thought. We're viewing the events of Argo as they transpired after Superman returned to the 21st Century.

We're seeing the events after the ripple effect restored the future around Supes and the Legion.

The events as they originally transpired in the future are an altered timeline where Superman was at best a minor historical figure. Once he returned home well... the future changed back and he was THE most important historical figure in the history of the multiverse.

RE-EDIT:

I really need to figure out a non-confusing way of articulating time travel theories. :D

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

You just mentioned one of the prime cinematic examples of 'non-logical time-travel' ever made, AJK, LOL!! I know, I know, I'm over-thinking it, but I've always been that way with time-travel. Sometimes, I just can't help myself.

:devil:

Hey, I spent ten years waiting to see if a douche could fly, so why not this?

:lol:

I'm to take your advice and go open a cold bottle of Corona. It's been that kind of day.

:techman:

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I know this is slightly off topic, but one of the best SF novels I ever read dealing with time-travel (sort of) was James P. Hogan's excellent Thrice Upon a Time. I realize it would be considerably dated by today's standards (written in 1980) it was thought-provoking nonetheless.

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time, in comic book logic, is a place. You can travel from any one location on the "map" of space and time to any other location without messing up the map--unless you do so purposefully.

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Thanks Mike, that makes as much sense as anything. I'll keep that in mind as I continue to re-read this arc.

17. Admiral_Young

I understood the point that you're making Proc. I just don't really think it's that big of a deal. The Legion also utilize time precision technology. As I mentioned they would just return Micheal and Clark to the point in time where they were originally departed from. AJK mentioned "Back to the Future" as a prime example of this. No one will even know that they were missing. The only way that you're scenario MIGHT occur is if something went wrong with Brainy's calculations "Doctor Who" Tardis style...then maybe Clark missing might be a factor. Otherwise...he hasn't missed enough time to have any kind of major effect on the timeline as a whole. If that were even the case...the Legion and Brainy would not risk plucking Clark from his native time period. As you say restored Clark's naturally flowing history, as I've already mentioned still is intact.

18. Admiral_Young

Just finished reading the conclusion of "Argo" and this was a magnificent issue after the somewhat "weak" issue last week. Bryan Q certainly knows how to bring out emotional moments in this book because he made me tear up again. Just a brilliant issue and a brilliant arc. If Proc had problems with the time travel...he might just get a migraine with this issue! ;) Oh I could go on about the actual plot but might wait until you guys catch up.

Up next: we get introduced to a certain Amazonian Princess :)

19. Admiral James Kirk

I'm going to review this later. I've been busy all day long. I did read it first thing though.

SPOILER ALERT

My review is on the positive side of the spectrum! ;)

20. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Well, thanks for warning me in advance, :lol:

Seriously, I didn't mean to gripe, but it just bugs me when a time-travel story is so blase about the potential consequences of traipsing off to the future. Guess it's the writer in me, I just like there to be good explanations for various things. It's one of the reasons why I've never touched upon the subject in any of my novels.

That aside, I'll just try to enjoy the remainder of the story, though it'll be several days until I can get to it. Good to know you two enjoyed the last chapter.

:techman: