MeTV's SuperSci-Fi Saturday Night

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 21, 2014.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Classic TV channel MeTV has a line-up of Superhero and sci-fi shows that they show every Saturday evening. They include:
    The Adventures of Superman (50's George Reeve series)
    Batman (60's Adam West series)
    Wonder Woman (70's Linda Carter series)
    Star Trek TOS (Remastered)
    Svengoolie (movies)
    Lost in Space
    The only things on there I haven't watched are TOS, since I watch it without commercials on Netflix, and Svengoolie.
    I've tried a few episodes of LiS, but that is just to cheesy for me.
    I have really enjoyed the three DC show though.
    Anyone else watching this stuff?

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the few things I don't get is MeTV but I caught Svengoolie at my parents and it seemed like classic horror host shenanigans. It was some Hammer vampire film and wasn't too bad. I'd probably watch Superman and Wonder Woman sometimes if I had it.

Lost In Space I liked as a kid but it has not aged so well.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I generally leave this on my TV on Saturday nights, home or not, though I don't really sit down and watch it all straight through. I love the Superman and Batman shows, Wonder Woman is better than I remember (though I watched maybe three episodes back in the day), and Svengoolie is cool (I love the whole Horror Host schtick. Unfortunately, they show the "remastered" Star Trek with updated special effects, but I've got the real thing on DVD, anyway. I've also got LIS on DVD. Occasionally, I will tape an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea to watch later, for old time's sake, though I have to admit that my interest in that show has not survived the decades the way that ST and LIS have.

On Sunday nights, in the wee hours, MeTV has some neat stuff, too. In addition to Man From Uncle and Mission: Impossible, they've got Thriller and Night Gallery. Also Route 66 and Naked City. Too bad I need sleep.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Me too, except I don't leave the TV on when I'm out, and for the season, I've been switching over to AMC's Hell on Wheels at 9. I, too, shall watch TOOS (The Original Original Series) on DVD at my own leisure. And my cable preempts LIS for paid programming, but they'd been showing it at an earlier hour for a good stretch, via which I first attempted to watch it, and I got in the habit of either changing the channel or turning it way down.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've sampled some of the BATMANs, for nostalgia's sake, and have been watching Svengoolie pretty regularly. And my DVR is already set to record THE MAN FROM UNCLE tonight.

Sadly, NIGHT GALLERY is not as good as I remember it. I loved it as a kid, but it hasn't aged particularly well . . . although, to be fair, I've only revisited a few episodes so far.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What the heck is a Svengoolie?

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm DVRing Superman, which I'd never seen.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It's actually Son of Svengoolie nowadays.

9. Greg Cox

An old-fashioned late-night horror movie host,who shows vintage black-and-white monster movies, interspersed with bits of schtick. This guy, as noted, is the son of the original Svengoolie, but has been doing this for decades now.

The movies range from classic Universal Horror, like "Son of Dracula" to drive-in movie fare like "The Thing That Wouldn't Die."

10. Christopher

Ah, okay. We used to have a local horror-movie host like that in Cincinnati, called the Cool Ghoul.

11. Greg Cox

In Seattle, we had "The Count" on Nightmare Theater.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Of course, Dave Koz isn't the actual son of the original Svengoolie, but he has the blessing of the original, Jerry Bishop.

Dave also did/does a Three Stooges marathon every Saturday night. He's multi-faceted.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In the Tampa area in the 80s it was Dr. Paul Bearer...but he was on Saturday afternoons, not late night.

Signature phrases:
    "Horrible old movie(s)" (to describe the old horror films he was showing)
    "I'll be lurking for you."

14. RJDiogenes

I always leave the lights and TV on. That's my security sytesm. :rommie:

Unfortunately, I have to agree. It's a really cheapo production in most cases-- bad cutting and editing, clunky post-production voiceovers, cringe-worthy day-for-night shots, the whole ball of wax. It was an Asylum Production before it's time. Some of them stand up pretty well, though, like "Lindeman's Catch," and some of the blackouts, like the one where the guy gets his feet amputated.

In Boston, we had The Ghoul (Ron Sweed-- buy his book), but he was actually syndicated out of Cleveland, because Kaiser Broadcasting owned Channel 56 (it was actually WKBG then). Horror Hosts used to be quite a thing. Elvira, of course, is the most famous. Locally now, we have Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers out of West Bridgewater-- my mother used to work at the local cable station where she films. Sadly, her husband, who played a werewolf on the show recently died of cancer, so she's giving it up (she has a website with a lot of cool stuff for sale and she really needs the money these days, so check it out if you're so inclined).

15. Christopher

Yeah, I really envy the folks who got Elvira as their movie host...

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I used to watch Bob Wilkins Creature Features as a kid

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have to check out Svengoolie some time, I've never watched one of those kind of hosted movie shows before.
    I love MeTV, it's given me a chance to check out a lot of old shows I've either never seen before, or haven't watched since I was really little.
    I just found out that they show Green Hornet very early Sunday mornings. I wish they showed it as part of the Saturday night line-up, it would fit in perfectly. I would love to watch it, but there is no way I'm getting up early enough to watch it.

18. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is what Syfy should be airing for their over night programming. It could be there version of Adult Swim.

Maybe we can convince Me-TV to create a genre version of the network?

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. RJDiogenes

^^ There used to be a million of them back in the day. The infamous Vampira, who appeared in Plan 9, was actually the first. Penny Dreadful, who I mentioned above, did a documentary on the Horror Hosts of New England, which is on one of her DVDs.

Yeah, I've wanted that for a long time. Maybe we should start a petition. :rommie: