Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Superman Returns had one of the most catastrophically awful scripts I can remember seeing in a film of this type. So boring, so many bad decisions. The cast didn't bother me at all, though, and I thought the three leads all could have been good in their respective roles if they had been given a better script, and if better creative decisions had been made around them.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the Superman mythos is handled in this movie. I'm especially curious about how he will end up looking, and whether or not the classic look will be updated in some way.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

hmm, Perry White and ummm I was gonna say Jor-El, but I don't know about that one. But I can definitely see him as Jonathan Kent.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, please, not Costner. The man has negative charisma. Every time I try to pay attention to him, my eyes just drift away to the background, he's just so thoroughly lifeless.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah see I would normally take that view point with this story but with a Nolan/Goyer script and Snyder direction he might work, especially if it does turn out he's playing someone like Jonathon Kent.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Latino Review say that well-placed sources tell them Costner has indeed been cast as Jonathan Kent, the part most guessed. Great casting. :techman:

6. Admiral_Young

Very cool if true...Latino Review can be pretty reliable.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agreed. This is shaping up to be a terrific cast!

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So with a bigger name like Costner should we assume that Jonathan Kent is going to be alive for awhile(at least one potential sequel) before he's taken by natural causes?

9. JacksonArcher

If this is an origins movie like has been reported, they will likely want to distance themselves from Donner's movie as much as possible, meaning it is quite possible Pa Kent will remain alive by the end of the film.

10. Admiral_Young

Yet Jonathon recently died in the comics lol, but yeah I agree with JacksonArcher. Especially if they're using "Secret Origin" and "Birthright" as source material where Jonathon and Martha both have pretty poignant roles in Clark's life. Martha in particular. I look forward to seeing who is cast to play her.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Some have suggested Costner's Open Range co-star, Annette Bening. I can see it.

12. Admiral_Young

That would be interesting.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Patricia Clarkson would also make a really good Martha Kent.

14. Admiral_Young

I was thinking Glenn Close would be a great Martha, maybe Laura Linney too.

15. JacksonArcher

She would be my first pick as well.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Indeed. Keep in mind that from the John Byrne reboot in the '80s until a couple of years ago, both Jonathan and Martha were alive and well in the comics' present day. And before that, both Ma and Pa Kent died before Clark moved to Metropolis. The premise of Jonathan dying and Martha surviving was unique to the Donner movie, until Smallville copied it and the comics subsequently copied both of those. It is certainly not a standard or obligatory part of the Superman story for Jonathan Kent to die.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Normally I'm not a big Costner fan, but for some reason I'm liking the idea of him as Jonathan Kent.

18. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kevin Costner can actually be pretty good playing everyman types, so this role could suit him.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You think Meryl Streep would ever take the gig as Martha?

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of Costner as Jonathan. If this is gonna wind up true, I'll be happy with it.

Since we're shooting names of suitable actresses for Martha around, how about Susan Sarandon?

Oh, and an idea I had several years ago and still love: Michael C. Hall for Lex!