DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Welcome to the forum, anouk! Hope you stick around and enjoy! And I'm doing a re-watch, too, seigezunt. It is still amazing after all these years!

2. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I haven't been a regular to this forum in a long while, but over the last few months have been enjoying DS9 again for the first time in a long while, as I've been slowly buying the DVDs. Plan on getting season 4 sometime after Christmas.

What hooked me on the show? Elim Garak. And other characters too. I do feel like I'm a Cardassian at heart.

3. PSGarak

^ It's always great to see a fellow Cardassian fan. Welcome back!

4. Arix

Arix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone, I joined up a few days ago and jumped into posting a few things without introducing myself first!

So now I shall belatedly do so!

I'm Arix and I grew up watching Star Trek - my Mum still remembers being pregnant with me and watching TNG on TV (I'm still a teenager ;)). I didn't watch any of the shows while they were first airing on TV, but I do remember renting the later seasons of Voyager on video in my school holidays - it was my first series.

Roughly 5 - 6 years ago, my Dad bought season 1 of TNG on DVD, and my family and I would watch an episode almost every night... soon enough we bought season 2, then season 3... and now our Star Trek DVD collection has everything from season 1 of TOS through to season 4 of Enterprise - including all 10 movies, soon to be 11 when the new movie comes out on Blu-ray at the end of the week! :lol:

DS9 is my favourite, though I love every series - I definitely consider myself a Trekkie. :)

I last rewatched DS9 around the beginning of 2008, though a few months ago I did re-rewatch up to the middle of season 2. Oh, and I'm also an avid reader (again, blame my Dad), together we own... I'd estimate 200 Trek books, and I've read all of the DS9 relaunch and LOVE IT.

We're a bit strapped for cash atm though, so I've been holding off buying any new Trek books for over a month now - so this forum will have to be my Trek fix until Christmas. :lol:

That's pretty much all you guys need to know about me, I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum (TrekBBS in general, and this DS9 section in particular) :)

5. PSGarak

Awesome to have you aboard, Arix! Looking forward to seeing you around the forum and the board.

6. fishingforships

fishingforships Lieutenant Red Shirt

Way out in the Delta Quad, you know Missouri
    Well I figure I ought to introduce myself too. I just got a computer a few months ago and am coming into my full Trek frenzy. I can download pictures and movies now with relative ease, which is great. I missed most of DS9 after the fourth season and have been really pissed off with my lack of information during the Dominion war. I just got season five and six and am most of the way though them both -Dax look's great at her wedding- and am finally happy. I also followed the rest of the series from a young age but always believed that DS9 was the most under appreciated of the bunch. Just because they didn't do so much Boldly Go as they did in the other series just meant that the writers had to put more effort into the characters and their interactions.

7. Crimea River

Crimea River Commander Red Shirt

Welcome to the DS9 forum, fishingforships. Absolutely love your name xD. And I can understand being irritated at lack of knowledge of the war. Those are some great episodes as well.

8. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

DS9 'Boldly' Went. Just not in the traditional alien of the week sense usually.

9. StardustSteph

StardustSteph Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello there everyone! I'm new here, just stumbled upon this forum today and got very excited. I'm a big Star Trek fan. I love TNG and VOY, but DS9 has to be my ultimate favorite. It was such a captivating series that I recently re-watched a few months ago. I could watch them all again right now. I absolutley loved the character development and story lines in DS9. Also, Odo was my favorite character :). I look forward to posting on here and getting to know all of you!:techman:

10. PSGarak

Welcome! Glad you have you join us. Odo is an awesome character!

11. Treker

Treker Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi guys new member.

Proud to call myself a Niner :)

12. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome! :beer:

13. Zardoz

Zardoz Ensign Newbie

Zardoz speaks to you. The gun... I mean, DS9 is good, the new movie is evil. The new movie spreads idiocy and mediocrity, which has always been a plague of man. DS9 was ahead of its time, and made its viewers think, and consider the story being told. Except the Ferengi episodes. But at least the large ensemble cast was not neglected in favor of only two or three main characters. Zardoz has spoken. Go forth and watch DS9.

14. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

Hello Zardoz, you won't find an argument here. DS9 was the best Star Trek TV Series. The new movie is for non-Trekkers. I would add that the Star Trek Novels are really cool, especially the re-launches. Welcome, and enjoy the discussions.

15. Zardoz

Zardoz Ensign Newbie

Zardoz speaks.

Zardoz enjoys some of the novels, but finds that the newer novels do not interest him. Some of the older novels have also not aged well for him. Zardoz misses having a good Star Trek series like DS9 on the air. :(

Zardoz has spoken.

16. TheKeeper

TheKeeper Commander Red Shirt

Can I call myself a Niner if I haven't quite seen the entire show yet?

It's a long story. Trek fan from way back in the days of TOS syndicated reruns, followed the movies and TNG. DS9's "Emissary" blew my mind, and I followed Nine through the first four seasons during its orignial broadcast. After that, the local station started playing games with the schedule every few weeks and I lost track of the show. I caught occasional episodes through the next three years, and the reruns were scheduled at awkward times of the day or night. In short, there's significant episodes and events I just haven't seen yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole show eventually, even if I have to rent them like a dilettante.

17. Lovok

Lovok Ensign Newbie

Big time Niner here and it's awesome to find a place where people appreciate this show.

About me? Uh... I love Romulans :D

18. 6thFleet Steve

6thFleet Steve Cadet Newbie

Yet another newbie who loves DS9. You know i didn't get it when it first aired, but years later I got the boxsets and it has now grown to become my favourite series. Regularly work my way through all 7 series.

19. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like DS9 too. Great character development and I love shows with proper story arcs rather than being a collection of disjointed episodes that could be watched in any order (I'm looking at you, TOS).

20. Diddle

Diddle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Man, honestly, I fell a little sorry for myself because I've spent so much of my time hating deeply DS9, but never bothered watching more than two episodes. Now I watched a hole bunch a fell weeks ago and I can't stop watching it now, in so little time DS9 managed to go from my least favorite series to 1st with TNG, in less than weeks, and I haven't even finished watching it yet. I don't know why I hated it so much, but that's past now, DS9 is incredible.