Kirks middle name

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Pixipick, Aug 2, 2014.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What is it exactly that inspires ones' use of their middle initial?

Everyone beats up on TNG's Leland T. Lynch for doing so, but James T. Kirk gets a pass for essentially doing the same thing. That's fascinating to me.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

As far as I recall, James T. Kirk didn't feel the need to remind you that he was James T. Kirk every time somebody needed to talk to James T. Kirk ... slight difference, of course.

3. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a good distinction. Kirk was one who'd just as easily introduce himself with "Mine's Jim Kirk." as easily as "This is Captain James T. Kirk, commanding the U.S.S. Enterprise.". One did get the impression that Lynch would have used the 'T' even if he were addressing Miri. :lol:

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It was an academy hazing name J.R.K.-Jerk.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Lynch is an idiot because he formally identifies himself over ship's intercoms. Kirk gets a pass because he only does that in first contact situations and by subspace radio.

And yeah, why do people use initials to distinguish? People like John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard M. Nixon, Gerald R. Ford, George W. Bush...

Then there's those using their full names.

"Hi! I'm Robert Louis Stevenson!"
    "Hi! I'm Hans Christian Andersen!"
    "Hi! I'm Philip Seymour Hoffman!"

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The reason for George W. Bush using his middle initial is pretty obvious. His father also retroactively became George H. W. Bush for all time, though nobody used his initials when he was president or vice-president.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's actually pretty clever. :techman:

8. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I agree, it works perfectly in universe without any of the gymnastics some explanations go through.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Maybe he used the "T." to distinguish himself from all the other James Kirks?

[​IMG]

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Thanks, I was thinking of it humorously, but in universe his habit of introducing himself with the T could be a habit acquired from back then of correcting his classmate comedians.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A running gag in the novel trilogy, "My Brother's Keeper" by Michael Jan Friedman", has both Kirk and Mitchell teasing each other by calling each other faux middle names starting with the litter "R".

Similarly, my Dad and his brother used to call each other "Fezzo", dating back to when they were first dating girls and one of them wore a fez to a dance party. Somehow, even though only one wore the fez, the middle name was used on each other all through the decades.

12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I am Groot!" :)

13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there is an easy one for the script. "R" and "T" are right next to each other on the typewriter.

14. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

^This is the best explanation and one that I subscribe to. It's been years since I read the books but I from what I remember, it was Kirk who always gave himself the middle name starting with "R" - for example, Mitchell asks Kirk if he wants to play racquetball and Kirk replies "Racquetball is my middle name" or Mitchell says something to Kirk about being reliable and Kirk says "Reliable is my middle name."

There are several examples of that throughout the trilogy and when you see WNMHGB and notice the "R" on Kirk's tombstone, it makes perfect sense. :)

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    One other possible reason for using "Tiberius": Tiberius may have turned dark and corrupt after becoming Emperor, but his first career was in the Roman army, and he was a very capable general who had the respect of his men under his command, his friends, and his enemies alike.

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

A bunch of my cousin's friends renamed his middle initial P for
    prick
    , and then when the best man was toasted him and mentioned the middle initial, he last minute substituted "pretty nice guy"

17. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I don't know many of my friend's middle names.
    It just doesn't come up in conversation that often.

Or maybe guys discuss middle names more often than girls?

I think arrogant supergod Gary Mitchell misremembered Kirk's middle name.

Maybe thats why Kirk says hes James T Kirk all the time - to remind everyone.

18. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what I was going for!