The 3D Art Tutorial thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cjohnson1701, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I've noticed that some people here want to learn how to model ships, corridors, characters, and what ever comes to mind. Now, I know there is a thread pertaining to the acquirement of the software used to perform these feats, but I don't see a particular thread for the use of educating people on how to use the variety of software available.

Now I had to pay about $50,000 to learn half of the stuff I know today, and half of the stuff that I learned can be found on the internet, and I'm all for educating people. SO, I am creating this thread to teach the basics on how to model, UV, texture, and how to render/ using Game engines. From Organic Modeling to Hard Surface.

Now to keep with the trek spirit any tutorial I create and post in the future will pertain to Star Trek.

To get started though I will post some links to the free sites I used when I first got started to help anybody who wants this.

Links:

World of Level Design
    http://worldofleveldesign.com/

Creative Crash
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/tutorials/

Now, I mainly specialize in the use of Maya, Mudbox, Z-Brush, Photoshop, and UDK. Most of the techniques, and tips I will show are applicable to any 3D software.

If anybody else who is skilled would like to add to this please do so.

2. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

wow thank you, I will book mark these links!

3. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

brilliant stuff, was wondering if anyone would like to do a tutorial for a basic starship design

4. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ahh fantastic, I've been looking for something along these lines.

5. surak-toc

does anyone have a tutorial for a basic star trek starship design, something that can be modified and made our own kind of ship, or at least so anyone can then make their own proper design

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Not really "design," but modeling - Taranis69 has a 2-part tutorial on modeling Enterprise (NCC-1701) in Lightwave, and the info and techniques could be applied to your own designs, easily.

Part 01 - Setting up your blueprints and workspace

Part 02
    - Modeling the bridge and 'teardrop'

I'm sure he will continue with the rest of the ship, but these things take time, as we all know ;).

7. surak-toc

cheers very much, appreciate it

8. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt