Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

The Chevrolet Vega:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega

:lol:

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was the best ep of the season so far, given the renewed focus on office politics, business shenanigans and the like.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

So pissed that he'd go and initiate a merger without consulting anyone other than Roger, maybe?

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Although it wasn't shown we don't know that they didn't talk to everyone before proceeding to the meeting with Chevrolet together.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was pretty clear that Don's idea and initiation of the merger had nothing to do with emotion and was strictly for business reasons.

The merger storyline actually had been set up a couple of episodes back I think -- the Heinz catsup episode. In the bar scene at the end, Ted had some of the same bitter complaints then that he had after the meeting with Chevy. And those complaints were made to Don.

So what did Ted say Peggy's position in the new firm was going to be -- chief of something, didn't quite catch it. But I can see her and Don boxing over some creative stuff. And I have a feeling Ted and Pete aren't going to see eye to eye. Ted's seems like kind of a hang loose go-getter while Pete likes to take the slow deliberate kiss-ass route. Can't wait.

6. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Ted described Peggy something along the lines of "head of copy at a major ad agency and you're not even thirty yet," or something like that.

Ted Chaough has been an interesting business rival to Don. It might be fun seeing them all working together for a change.

As far as the Vega quality issue, I could see it actually being an advantage for the agency. I can see some Chevy execs discussing the car down the road: "Well, the public has figured out our car is crap. We need to launch an ad campaign to improve its image. Why don't we give it to the same agency that handled the initial product launch? Hell, even though it was junk, they still sold a shitload of them!"

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's a huge step in the right direction for this season... luckily there were no pointless scenes with Betty. I'm starting to wonder why she remains in the show at all given how little her character contributes to the story.

8. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I believe what Ted said Peggy was that she was either copy chief or chief of copy at a top twenty agency, and before she was even thirty and that even he was jealous.

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

My point was that he didn't even bother to consult with anyone else before initiating it, likely because he was a bit pissed at having been kept out of the loop previously in the episode. Just because it made sense to do it and is a good move, that doesn't mean it wasn't done maliciously, either.

And yes, you can claim that he consulted everyone off-screen. But there was absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever. The only person he talked to was Roger, and even he was reluctant and against it for the most part, with the implication being that Don didn't even fill him on the details until they met then and there.

10. gblews

I never make claims like that. I generally stick to what I actually see happen on screen or at least see implied on screen. I leave those "subtext" debates to others.

Although there is on screen evidence that Don was pissed that he wasn't consulted about the public offering, there is no on screen evidence that that is what was behind his idea to do the merger. In fact, everything we see in the scene with Don and Ted indicates that it is all about their anger at once again being marginalized by a large account because they are small firms and the fact that a merger made good business sense -- and not about a personal vendetta.

One can speculate (and it is valid speculation) that Don did it because he was angry at his partners but there is no on screen evidence that shows Don's merger idea was done to spite his partners. Besides, as I wrote, this storyline had been set up two episodes previously, long before Don found out about the public offering.

I still wonder how these people function as a business. Some of the partners plan to take the firm public without telling one of the senior partners, and one of the senior partners agrees to a merger without telling the other partners. No communication and it looks like complete chaos.

11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assumed that they approached Chevy with the Merged Firms idea and when Chevy agreed, then they started formal merger actions. They would just need to have an informal vote amongst the partners to approach Chevy with the idea.

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Loved everything about the episode. I'm having a ridiculously crazy week, otherwise I'd say a lot more.

The SCDP/CGC merger was a master stroke.

It would be supremely ironic if Abe became an ultra-corporate yuppie in the '80s.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Whitman.

Agreed. Next season is going to be the last, and they're not going to jump to '77 to see the Vega's death. I don't think the show will make it out of the 60s.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  14. the G-man

The "Y" in yuppie stands for "young". Abe will be in his 40s by the time the Reagan era hits.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I found tonight's episode kind of flat, Don's bit of domination role playing notwithstanding. The Bobby Kennedy shooting seemed like it was slipped in as an afterthought.

16. the G-man

This is why I had hoped last season then they might skip 1968. Too easy to let the actual events of that year substitute for creative writing

17. gblews

So, I wonder what it was we were being told about Don in this episode? Was it that he had actually "fallen" for Sylvia? The whole Master/slave thing seemed to me to be just an extension of his lust for her (as opposed to showing his deep feelings for her) But when she told him it was over he reacted like it was an emotional blow, not like he was just losing a hot piece. Further, his tuning out Megan, was this meant to show his feelings for Sylvia or was this the beginning of him falling out of love with Megan?

LOL. Ted and Don in a d*** swinging contest. Ted's relationship with his dying partner is very heartfelt and deep. These two really seem to care for each other. How is Ted going to function in the dog eat dog relationships among the Cooper, Sterling partners?

They have got to show Peggy's reaction to Bobby Kennedy's death. They have made it a point of showing her making comments about him in a few episodes.

18. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't buy "Don, the slavemaster." We've never seen him treat any of his other (many) women so badly. About the kinkiest we've ever seen him was telling a hooker to slap him...but that's not really the "master" side of that equation, now is it? ;)

I looked to me as though Don--after learning that his dalliance with Sylvia was leading her toward throwing away her marriage--set out to purposefully send her running back into her husband's arms.

That would, on the surface, seem to be a rather selfless act on Don's part...except that I've never really seen Don as someone who actually gives much thought to anyone else's well-being. I think it's probably more likely that Don just wanted to get clear from all the drama and inconvenience Sylvia's escalation of their relationship threatened to bring.

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think it fits his character quite well. He always strives to be in control of everything (work, sex, etc.), and he chose a moment in which his work dominance was put into question (through the merger) to experiment with dominance/submissive sex-play. The ending was his recognition that he's not really in control of anything.

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"Don", the guy who ran away from combat, has been over-compensating since 1950. He was in control of the situation until he got cocky (in more meanings than one) and lost sight.

Ted and Peggy are better than Don, who's passed his prime, and he's threatened by both of them. I guarantee you this isn't something Don was thinking of when he suggested that SCDP and CGC merge. All he was thinking about was doubling the size of the firm and getting Chevy. The combination came at a price: the combination of talent and this is where Don is coming up short more often.

It was obvious last season as well. Ginsberg was a better creative and everyone knew it, even Don, but he's such a character that it kept him at bay. Also, Peggy hadn't broken off and come into her own yet even though she was on the cusp of it. With this season she has. And Ted is the Ken to Don's Pete. Don has serious, level-headed competition from within that he can't just dismiss or leave in a cab.

Ted surpasses Don in running creative, so he resorts to a drinking match, but getting Ted drunk doesn't change the facts that Ted looks to be better at his job than Don. And Ted's a pilot. Don sees that as a blow to his Alpha-ness.

This is why Don was so controlling with Sylvia. She was the one thing he could control. "At last, something you can truly own."

In a way, Don is even worse than Herb. With Herb, you know what he's about right up front and he knows exactly what he is. Don tries to hide what he is, change the conversation, or make it look like something else.

As soon as Don lost Sylvia, he turned his eyes back to Megan but only his eyes. He sees her but doesn't hear anything she has to say or wants to do. He's threatened by that too.