Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Quark managed to deliver a good-natured skewering to just about every major SF franchise.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm the G-man and I approve this message

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I would rather have seen Defying Gravity continued more than probably 90%+ of all the shows listed on this thread.

Lexx always seemed so random. It was almost as if the series itself was joke.

RAMA

4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I never got around to watching anything after Season 2 but I really liked Season 2. I really liked Hiro in ancient Japan and I liked that Irish woman that Peter hooked up with. (I'm hoping that Back to the Future time travel rules are in effect and that the amended timeline ultimately transformed around her after she was trapped in that alternate future.)

I, for some completely incomprehensible reason, sat through the entirety of Season 5 of Earth: Final Conflict. It was pure crap.

I didn't watch all of The X-Files Season 9 but I liked the parts that I saw. Personally, I found John Doggett to be a much more interesting character than Fox Mulder. And "4-D" is one of the best episodes that the show ever did.

No cancellation ever made me more sad than this one. :( At least the show did get a proper finale. It's easy enough to watch "Caged Bird" and then tack an "...And they all lived happily ever after..." onto the end. (And I'm not sure I like some of the ideas the producers had for Season 2, particularly with Sharon getting pregnant.)

I don't usually believe in TV love at first sight. It usually takes me a few episodes to get into a show. But Odyssey 5 had me hooked from the word go. I loved the premise. And no unresolved cliffhanger has ever infuriated me more than this one. The 1st season finale was really a game changer, but we never got to see any resolution. (But, considering the world wasn't destroyed in 2007, I guess I should say, "Well done, Commander Taggart!")

Sadly, that show was David Greenwalt competing with himself. He was the head writer of Jake 2.0 and UPN put the show in the Wednesday 8pm timeslot opposite the WB's Angel, which Greenwalt co-created. I'm a huge Angel fan, so I never really got around to seeing the show much. But the geeky scientist girl was really cute.

IIRC, Season 3 was filmed in Canada. Seasons 1 & 2 were filmed in California.

I was a huge 7 Days fan. It's still one of my favorite TV shows. I loved the great bickering banter between Parker & Olga. I really wish CBS would release this on DVD, at least as an MOD.

The show was cancelled in May 2001. I always wondered if the show would have survived post-9/11 anyway, since 9/11 was the kind of tragedy that Frank Parker typically averted on a weekly basis. Heck, the pilot episode was about terrorists crashing a plane into the White House.

5. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the show lucked out being canceled when it was. If they had done an episode about 9/11, a segment of the audience would complain that they were trivializing it. And if they ignored it, a segment of the audience would have complained about that. It would have been a lose-lose situation.

The best they could have done is some silly story where the capsule was not retrievable in time for a backstep to prevent it.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Welcome to my life. I work for a newspaper circulation department, where people blame me personally for every paper that arrives late.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quantum leap handled this by saying that Sam saved Jackie Kennedy from being killed too.

Theory has it that the fourth plane was going to target the white house, which would be th perfect bookend for the final episode of 7 days, and Parker could have helped the passengers of UA Flight 93 not strike the white house.

There was a very well received comic book called Ex Machina about a super hero who was a little upset that he wasn't strong enough or fast enough to save the other tower too.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

So, where's my damn paper?

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm now 3/4 through this thanks to Sindatur telling me about it and it's excellent. Very nice to look at. Refreshing to have it set in South Africa rather than the usual places. All the characters have mysteries to them but they serve to build the storyline and aren't just slapped on in globs for sensation like they do on LOST type shows. You can see it was very well planned out. Hard sci fi backdrop. One particularly good creepy character, a sociopath with a great mystery himself.

The soundtrack is very good too, shades of Sugar Man beneath an elegant future vibe.

10. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I've read through much of this thread and I have to thank you all for giving me the titles of The Starlost and Otherworld, two shows I recalled vividly but not their names. So, muchos gracias!!

The Starlost
    [​IMG]

Otherworld
    [​IMG]

11. Guy Gardener

Why make a TV show about the Amish who do not have televisions?

The Starlost did remind me a little of the Tripods.

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

now and again

had the president dude from 24 in it

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Horrible show. There was no difference between that and the original--other than Hanna-Barbera typically recycling their sci-fi aliens/ships seen in 50,000 other H-B nightmares.

Key moments: characters' mouths moving away from faces, and their ship flying like someone was moving a cardboard cutout of it by hand.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

While Jose and the Pussycats had the usual poor animation of it's time, I do remember the episodes being as good as original season Scooby Doo. If that's saying anything.

15. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone remember "Tucker's Witch", "The Girl with Something Extra", "Eerie, Indiana"?

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That starred Traci Lords and Peter North didn't it?

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Yes but I suspect Traci Lords is rather more famous for another aspect of her career.

18. Guy Gardener

Her stint on Melrose Place?

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, First Wave and The John Carter of Mars SyFy channel movie ;)

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show starred Sally Field and John Davidson. So, sorry, the contemporary joke that the show was really The Boy with Nothing Extra was much, much funnier.