PICTURE POST!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by firecrackerrrr, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

turtle's water needs changed

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't going to say anything. :lol:

3. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

They're fish.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Those teenage mutant turtles are so ninja they can disguise themselves as fish.

5. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

You win the Awesome Nerd award. It's invisable though.

The Enterprise A is hanging precariously above a fish tank -- no way to treat such a wonderful ship. ;-)

We're gonna have to call STarship Protective Services on you and find that ship a foster home.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  6. eklypse

eklypse Lieutenant Red Shirt

Lol...The tank's clean now. I was gone for a while and all the house-sitter did was feed them. My membership fee is in the mail (sorry, no paypal account).

7. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

EKLYPSE: So to be clear, you WILL be sending me that ship, right? ;)

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have that ship! But it's on a piano, not above a fish tank. Cat almost knocked it behind the piano the other day, freak out time since it's an iron frame pianola and would be hell to move. Something fell behind the piano, but I don't know what and since I don't miss it I guess I'll wait until I move to find out.

All of which to say, "nice ship" :D

9. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

See this is were this is confusing. Punish me if you wish for commenting. But basically what your doing here is the exact same thing your telling him not to do. Which is to openly Embarrass somebody. Now I don't necessarily disagree with what you said but, maybe next time a simple PM to the person your openly bitch slapping and giving an infraction to might make you better in that persons eyes. We are all intellectuals here, so maybe instead of treating us like we are all in high school a simple adult explaining in PM, instead of openly annoucing his buisness might be the better route.
    I don't know but it sounds better to me, because you might give someone who is new the wrong impression about somebody.
    I don't know, Shameless would you be a little bit nicer if he would pm you instead of embarrassing you infront of everyone.
    Oh and another thing why not also punish the person that said Shamless in 5,4,3,2, 1, becuase that could be seen as almost asking for shameless to respond, becuase he clearly stated that hes not interested in black boys, so he woudln't have commented on him.

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that were irony, I'd rate it post of the month.

11. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pff, 2007 is still very much newbie material. ;)

I woke up this morning to the sight of this voyeur peeping into my bedroom!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Kitty needs a home (and cheezburger) -- open the window. :-)

13. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's the neighbour's cat, he can just go back inside there. ;)

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I actually do address certain board issues and talk to people via PM occasionally asking them to curb the behavior. However, when mods give someone an infraction they are required to announce it openly in the thread so that:
    - posters see that action has been taken on an issue they might have had a problem with
    - posters see what type of behavior they should avoid in the future themselves
    - posters know what type of behavior they should notify on if they see it again
    - posters can dispute the infraction by going through the proper channels of either contacting the mod who gave the infraction, another mod in that forum, or an admin via PM to discuss it
    - the person given the infraction is aware that others know about the issue so it hopefully serves as a deterrent against doing it again
    - there's a searchable record of the incident on the public board instead of just private PMs and the mod forum

Furthermore, while it might sound like an arbitrary double-standard to you, and it may be embarrassing to some people to publicly earn an infraction (Though it almost never is in my experience. Mostly they just get mad, don't care, or on that rarest of occasions agree or apologize), it is part of our job to point out these issues to members here.

If someone does their moderating job with the goal of "looking better in someone's eyes," they're doing it entirely for the wrong reasons.

Finally, if simply quoting exactly what someone did to make the case for the infraction gives people the wrong impression of them, I think the burden for that lies on them in most cases, and not the one doing the quoting.

Part of the reason for the "comments to PM" addendum is to avoid exactly this type of situation where we're dragging the issue out longer than it needs to be in the public forum instead of dealing with it behind the scenes.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but you're essentially extending that "embarrassment" you mention out even longer when it was over and done with and out of sight, out of mind on the previous page. It's probably also extending the embarrassment of the poster the comments were originally directed at, who would most likely just want us to move on and not make him the center of attention for the wrong reasons any more.

I like Shameless a lot, and told him in the PM that goes along with the infraction that it was nothing personal. Hopefully he'll take it in that spirit and we can continue to have a "nice" and friendly relationship on the board.

I mentioned in my post that people should knock that kind of behavior off because it's encouraging a response, but that does not rise to the level of being infraction-worthy for a first offense, and regardless, there's nothing requiring you (general you) to actually respond to it.

Beyond that, I really don't like posters calling out other people to try and get them warnings publicly, not to mention that it's against the rules. I know you think it's unfair that we can do that and posters aren't supposed to, but again, that's part of our job. If you don't like something, that's what the notify button is for on each post.

Now, I indulged your questions in spite of you deliberately ignoring the "comments to PM" part of my post, but this is the end of discussion about this infraction or board policy in this thread. If you want to continue this discussion (though I told you all that I possibly could on the subject), click on my user name and send me a PM and I'll talk to you there, or take it over my head to one of the admins if you think I'm being unfair. Do not bring it up here again.

15. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

What the heck. It's been quite a while since I've revealed myself to the Internets.

Pre-haircut:
    [​IMG]

Post-haircut:
    [​IMG]

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

More baby pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is a little out of focus but I love her expression.
    [​IMG]

17. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

^ She's growing fast! Always looks very happy, too. You must be proud.

18. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I love this one! Great smiles!

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

That is SUCH an awesome picture. Hope you don't mind a caption---but I couldn't resist:
    [​IMG]

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I like the haircut!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.