Late Night With Jimmy Fallon Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by DeafPoet, Mar 3, 2009.

1. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So tonight, March 2, we get to see if Fallon can follow Conan's act convincingly.

Personally, I'm willing to give him a fair shot. Nobody had high hopes for Conan when he premiered either and he ended up creating (IMO) the finest late night show yet produced.

I did like Fallon well enough during his stint on SNL's "Weekend Update" but I honestly haven't been into most of the other stuff he's done. Luckily, Late Night is closer to "Update" than any of that stuff.

So if anyone catches this tonight chime in with your thoughts!

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

This is going to be exciting. I get to see a late night host start out. I was 8 when Leno took over and didn't even know who he was.

Conan I saw two seconds of him when I was 10

If Conan's run is any indication, we'll be in for multiple "Is Fallon done?" and "Fallon Near Cancellation" for at least six years.

I say six years because that was how long it took before Conan was "safe" and not on the brink of cancellation.

Bring on the new controversial and memorable moments!

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping that his youth will allow him to keep the promise of trying to engage the "geek" crowd rather than make fun of it.
    It'll be a long time before we see developers of games hit the couch, but he's made that promise.

4. DeafPoet

Yeah I heard he was considering having guests like game developers on and I think it's a great idea. You can only hear about the stuff Lindsay Lohan likes to decorate her movie trailer with for so long.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I might actually WATCH a talk show if he gets a different type of guest.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked him on SNL during Weekend up so I hope he does OK.

7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Fallon's a hack who won't be able to get through shows without cracking up every two seconds like he did on SNL. Peter Griffin had a great little rant about that on Family Guy.

8. Samurai8472

Maybe that will be his "connection" to nerdy fans. Laughing at inappropriate time, and awkward phrasing

9. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

The Masturbating Bear saved Conan's career.

New idea for a drinking game. Every time he breaks and laughs, we take a drink.

10. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's been posting behind-the-scenes videos for the last few weeks and chatting with fans on Twitter about every other day.

So it's clear he really wants to hear from the fans and be responsive to what they want.

Frankly, I'm really excited. I hope he does well for this reason alone. (I don't know if he will be good, but I'll give him 2-3 months before I make any judgements.)

11. bigdaddy

Oh yeah, make fun of someone with a Family Guy quote you can't remember. Yeah.... :rolleyes:

He talked about the 16 year old who had sex with his 24 year old teacher. He could have said Mass because a city nearby had a 15 year student and a 24 year old teacher running off to West Virginia together and no one told the reporters for over a week.

12. DeafPoet

This isn't too bad so far. This is a good jumping off point. Assuming of course that it gets better.

13. Samurai8472

Conan!

can't wait till he becomes a guest like Letterman on Conan

the monologue was a bit shakey. It was like a kid telling jokes in front of his parents

14. DeafPoet

I agree, but for a little perspective I give you Conan's first Late Night

15. Samurai8472

Yeah I saw that a few weeks ago. He didn't do anything topical(at least not that I remember)

Its still funny after 16 years

"You better be as good as Letterman!"

16. DeafPoet

Wow, this DeNiro interview is painful. Gotta say, it was ballsy getting the most boring talk show guest alive to be your first.

17. Samurai8472

and the least talkative. It was like talking to a brick wall.

Jimmy should ease up on his impressions

18. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only watched up to "Lick it" before I have to go to bed, but...

I like it. It's not great, but it's not bad. He still seems nervous. But for a first show, I give it an "A." I really don't expect much from the first month so I consider this a big success for him.

I think the most important thing we learned tonight is that Letterman is his inspiration (just like he is for Conan) so we should do just fine once they smooth everything out.

I'm optimistic.

19. Samurai8472

So far it seems like a talk show with bad SNL skits

20. bigdaddy

The lick it for $10 I thought was stupid but other wise it's fine.