Enterprise Pic

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bdb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The more I look at those engines the more I am convinced it is a Gabe or Gabe inspired design. There is definitely a 'hood' or bulge above the bussards.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, thanks!

I gotta say, except for the lack of phaser turrets the saucer looks almost identical to the one on the refit. Those turbines sure do look like they mean business though.

3. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

Am I the only one who kinda doesn't want domes covering up the front of the nacelles?

4. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the subject of the Earth-based construction :

From The Making of Star Trek : Stephen Whitfield & Gene Roddenberry

Of course, books are not canon. And I'm not too concerned about canon either.

But there you go :D

5. Cranston

Cranston Commander Red Shirt

Hell, maybe by this time they have big industrial transporters to just beam the thing into orbit.

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is slighty off topic -- but I visted the 'startrek.com' message board for a moment to see what they are saying about this picture. All I can say is that after reading a few posts there, I quicky made my way back here -- to the ADULT TABLE.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is columbia under construction (from trekcore.com):

[​IMG]

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that board is the wild wild west of trek forums now it's totaly unmoderated.

9. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

And it looks just the opposite to me.

The front of the nacelles looks almost identical to Koerner's design, and the upper saucer is dramatically different from the TOS Enterprise.

I'll have to reserve judgment until I see the whole thing, but since I don't particularly like Koerner's Enterprise (other than the rotating 'collectors' on the front of the nacelles), I expect this design will have to grow on me.

---------------

10. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

There's a bit of an extra step between the superstructure and the rest of the saucer though, which IIRC is unique amongst the main interpretations of the design.

11. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

I hate the ST.com boards.

Anyway, in the book "A Flag Full of Stars", the Enterprise refit of the Saucer takes place on Earth and the bloody thing just takes off by itself. Pretty crazy. I remember looking at the cover like, what the hell? The pic depicts only the saucer flying through space, it threw me off.

12. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

So what do we think... do the nacelles get a translucent "cap" upon completion or is the familiar glow some sort of energy wash that occurs when they start spinning?

I am so happy to have some real meat to chew on! Can't wait to see the teaser!

13. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, what are the bussard collectors? They're GAS collectors... and the gas is extremely hot (and thus radiating light) as it's compressed during collection, right?

Imagine, if you will, orange-red swirling FLAME in that cavity... not just a few whispy flames but the entire hemispherical volume just FILLED with brilliant, swirling, fire.

(what we see as "Fire," after all, is just hot gas coming off as a combustion product, remember)

14. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, this isn't as far removed as you might thing.

The entire structural framework is present, and the nacelles aren't being built in-place... they were built separately and are being ASSEMBLED to the rest of the ship in that image.

We know that external hull plating on the NX-01 can be removed for access to subsystems located underneath them (proven when they had to get rid of the Romulan mine).

I suspect that the INTENTION is what you're saying, at least in part (the nacelles were built elsewhere, I think that's obvious!) But it's by no means conclusive.

And in cases where "Enterprise" and "Star Trek" are in disagreement, I go with the original every time."

15. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

They get a cap. The turbines are meant to give the layman some idea of the inner workings of the engine systems. It also gives the nacelles a more "muscular" look.

16. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

She looks pretty buff, nacelle-wise... and the saucer looks definitely more detailed and industrial than TOS... I like what I am seeking and am intrigued to see how she'll look in space. I just hope they haven't toughed things up too much... she also needs to be sleek, elegant and beautiful...

17. Soar_Dude

Soar_Dude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gabe's in on it those nacelles look alot like his SOL entry. As long as that is as far is it goes I can live with it, but if starts looking more like a nuBSG remake job on the big 'E' I will be disappointed. As far as her sitting on terra firma wasn't there some back story about April in the novelzation by Foster in the Counter Clock Incident going to look at her under construction and that they where going to tractor the sections to orbit or some such?

Soar Dude

18. FlyingTigress

FlyingTigress Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

19. azzurri08

azzurri08 Lieutenant Red Shirt

So far it looks really good! Can't wait to see the whole ship.

20. Newski

Newski Captain Captain

I'm not going to lie... I'm not extremely impressed. It looks exactly like an updated version of the Enterprise would.... Technically sleek but without much personality.