TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

Hi everyone. TNG is my favorite Trek, but I don't spend enough time in here. I think I will try to fix that from now on. I'm definitely a big time Patrick Stewart/Picard fan. The man can ACT! :D I also enjoy Spiner as Data, and chuckle everytime Jonathan Frakes does that trademark Riker Swagger walk, with his head tilted.

So in the immortal words of Q, "If you're very lucky, I might even drop by to say...hello...from time to time. See you...out there!"

2. Theta

Theta Captain Captain

I'm still pestering them for TNG S3 and forward. Or was before I was forced into boycotting them for Big Brother. :scream:

Aye. :borg:

3. Plainsong

Plainsong Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh you mean you haven't subscribed to the Big Brother channel? :evil:

Subtv was the reason we got the dvd's. They left off at the end of season 2 and it was like... and??

So everyone else take note, we are seriously deprived in Finland!

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm cooleddie74. You all know me by now. If you don't, ask the fine folks in the Movies and ENT forums.

And if THAT doesn't scare you away, then rest assured in the fact that---while I don't get as much of a kick out of TNG as I used to(DS9 has since surpassed it in my eyes and I'm also an enormous ENT fan)---I still thoroughly enjoy the series and watch it whenever I can. The 1701-D still rawks. :thumbsup: :D

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Hi everyone. I go by the name Kestra (or Kes) online, and TNG is my favorite Trek series. I'm more interested in Trek literature and fan fiction than ship designs or some of the other aspects, but I do like looking around at everything.

When I'm not online I'm a 22 year old English major trying to figure out something important to do with the rest of my life. I think that's all you need to know for now. :)

6. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

There are people that don't know you on this board, cooleddie?? Nah.

As for me, I started watching TNG when I was about 12 years old or so--I was instantly hooked. I loved the way it looked--the sleek design of the ship, the lighting, everything. I wanted to live on the 1701-D!

I had trekkie friends in high school and we had a good time together--I wouldn't have made it through without those guys. One of the reasons I like TNG so much is because it reminds me of good people and some very fun times. I guess it's psychological!

My favorite character is Data, my favorite episode has always been Data's Day. I wasn't in contact with any other trekkies over the internet until last year when I signed on here to try to find out what the heck was going on with Enterprise. Because of this, a lot of the popular opinions on TNG issues are things I never even thought about before. I thought Wesley was okay, I liked Lwaxana and Q, I enjoyed Imaginary Friend, I never 'shipped for any of the characters...I don't know no better! :)

And finally, in real life I teach anthropology. I blame TNG entirely for getting me interested in how other cultures operate. Seriously, I was always interested in archaeology, but TNG was my introduction into many of the anthropological principles I would later come across. :thumbsup:

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is the closest pic of me I have to STNG's premiere that's handy. I was 15 here, not 17. I never wore a uniform though.

RAMA

[​IMG]

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have an off/on interest in TNG. Essentially I prefer stuff from the first three to four seasons, but I have little to no interest in seasons five, six and seven. And I care nothing for the TNG films. TNG is one of those things where I feel the producers were so close to getting where I'd hoped the series would go yet rarely did it get there. That said in retrospect it comes across much better than the Trek that followed over the years.

Star Trek was at its best in TOS and some of TNG and only a scant few episodes of early DS9. The rest is drivel.

TNG I've liked:
    Where No One Has Gone Before
    Conspiracy
    Where Silence Has Lease
    Elementary, Dear Data
    The Schizoid Man
    A Matter Of Honor
    The Measure Of A Man
    Contagion
    Q Who?
    Up The Long Ladder
    The Emissary
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    The Offspring
    Sins Of The Father
    Captain's Holiday
    Sarek
    The Best Of Both Worlds

Those aforementioned are my preferred episodes while there are others from the first four seasons I feel are okay and watchable. Measure Of A MAn and Q Who? Are my favourite TNG episodes that I rank up with my cherished best of TOS.

Oh, and this is me.
    [​IMG]

9. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I’m a big fan of TNG, but it took some getting used to in the shows early days. I started out hating TNG and then ended up loving it. I own all seven seasons on DVD and enjoy the majority of all the seasons except for the first one. There were some good shows in season one, but they were few and far between for me. My favorite episodes are listed below. Of course, this list may change from time to time. Old age, ya know. :p

The Measure of a Man
    Yesterday’s Enterprise
    The Offspring
    Clues
    First Contact
    Best of Both Worlds
    Family
    Darmok
    Ensign Ro
    The Inner Light
    Rascals
    Relics
    Tapestry
    Masks
    Lower Decks
    All Good Things

Here I am at work about a month or so ago.

[​IMG]

10. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I am the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai and clearly a big fan of Babylon 5. TNG is second, though, followed closely by DS9 and ENT. I refused to watch TNG at first due to the derivative title but was talked into watching an ep by a trusted friend. It turned out to be "Measure of a Man" and I was instantly hooked. There are too many favorites to list.

I guess I'm about the only guy around older than Spider1. :D I'll turn 60 next May. IRL, I'm Technical Training Manager for a major maker of electronic security products. Born in Louisville, KY with stints in Lexington, KY, Atlanta, GA, Pleasanton, CA and now live in Orange, CA. I travel about 150,000 miles each year on average. I'm a car buff, unfunded audiophile and occasional pilot (900 hours). The Lady Sho-Rin and I are very active in our church.

If you ever meet me IRL, call me Bill. Mutai is a virtual character only.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There are so many good episodes I'd have a tough time squeezing them into a top 50, but the top 10 I am fairly sure of:

STNG:

1. Best of Both Worlds I and II
    2. The Chase
    3.Yesterday's Enterprise
    4. Darmok
    5. The Inner Light
    6. The Survivors
    7. The Wounded
    8. Q Who
    9. Where No One Has Gone Before
    10. All Good Things..

In particular, The Chase has moved up the list over the years. It gets better all the time despite the TOS-style production design misfire at the end. Its one of the touchstone episodes of all of ST, encompassing everything Gene wanted for ST. It also would make the BEST springboard for a future ST movie, since the events in the ep were so monumental to evolution in the galaxy. It even inspired me to write a movie synopsis, and I am by no means a fanfic enthusiast.

Other episodes of major note to me:

Conundrum
    Measure of a Man
    Family
    Birthright Part 1
    The Defector
    The Enemy
    Masks
    The Hunted
    The Drumhead

ah damn, and many more.

RAMA

12. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson Ensign Red Shirt

I grew up watching TOS re-runs and TOS cartoon re-runs and the movies when I was young but I really got into Trek when TNG started. I watched the show off and on but became obessed during seasons 6 and 7. I was in high school at the time and always hid my geekiness. I was always trying to be with the popular crowd. But I had one friend that also watched TNG. Every week we would watch TNG and then call each other during commercial breaks and after the show was over and discuss the show! It was totally geeky but we had so much fun debating the details. Those were definitely the good old days. I remember seeing Star Trek VI and because of it decided to start making my own scifi movies with friends. We went on to make close to 30 short films over the next 4 years. I even went to college and studied filmmaking for 3 years but ended up dropping out and working in the computer industry. Growing up on the second generation of Star Trek was awesome. After college I lost interest in Star Trek somewhat. But about 2 years ago I started renting the TNG series from Netflix and re-discovered my love of Trek! I then rented all of DS9 and watched all 7 seasons! And I had never seen a single episode of DS9. Voyager was okay but I only saw the first season when it aired in 1995. TNG is still my favorite. DS9 is very close though. Anyway, that's my Trek history.

I really want to go to conventions but the money is tight and they never seem to be in my area (northwest indiana). There is Starbase Indy in Indianapolis and a few Chicago ones. I just need to make time for them. Take care.

-Matt

13. cybersoldier

cybersoldier Commander Red Shirt

college student 26 attemting to get into law school. TNG ws the trek that got me hooked, the positive side of what humanity can be in the future, the stories, the characters I m a die-hard TNG fan. It currently the only trek series i have all the seasons on dvd, including the movies

14. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm not one to dole out my real name, but you can call me star for short since my username is a mouthful. :p I'm 29 years old (and pleasantly surprised at all the younger TNG fans! The show's aging badly? HA!).

I watched the show from beginning to end. Picard is my favorite character. ;) I love the utopian ideals of the show. I know many people critizise that aspect, but for me trek was always about a hope for a better future. *shrug*

I'm slowly integrating my four munchkins into trekkies! :p

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey everyone. I'm a longtime Trek BBS poster but I haven't really posted in TNG forum for some reason. Perhaps it's because for so long there was Voyager and [/i]Enterprise[/i] to keep me company that TNG seemed (don't gasp!) somewhat old.

But really I owe everything to TNG. It introduced me to the wonderful concept of Star Trek and formed my adolescent existance a great deal. I didn't begin to faithfully watch the show, strangely, until around mid-1994 when the show had been cancelled. I was in my pre-teen stages and my mother was dating this guy who was a big Trekkie. He then introduced me to TNG and crazily enough I began to love it. He had all of the episodes on tape so I watched those and then some when TNG began re-airing episodes during the subsequent years of 1995 and so forth.

Back then there were more younger Trekkies then there are now. Through liking TNG I meet a friend (who I am still in contact with) my age that loved Star Trek as much as I and he introduced me to DS9. I collected every piecce of memorabilia that crossed my path. I saw my first Trek film in the theater, First Contact, on opening day and thought it was incredible. When VOY aired I watched that (but didn't faithfully follow the show until it was in its fourth season) but still had a place in my heart for TNG.

When Insurrection came out it was like a special day, clearing activities off my schedule to catch the first showing. Same for Nemesis, although I was slightly disappointed with that (even more so since it's undoubtedly the last TNG movie ever).

But since this is a TNG forum I'll keep it TNG-related. I still watch the show from time to time and every year my friends and family get me a new season on DVD. It is, without a doubt, my favorite Star Trek televised incarnation and the most influential piece of pop culture in my life.

My favorite TNG character is Captain Picard, who I looked up to growing up. Data is my second favorite, and his continuous search for his humanity always intrigued me and kept me fascinated about his character. I also loved Picard's platonic relationship with Dr. Crusher and the ongoing mystery of Riker & Troi on whether or not they would ever truly hook up (Troi's relationship with Worf? It's blasphemy I tell you!).

That's about it. Of course there are tons more to discuss but I'll just leave it at that for an introductory post. ;)

16. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I'm a little late to the party, but since this is the series forum in which I post the most I really ought to say hello.

I'm Joe - or StolenThunder pretty much everywhere I go on the Internet. I'm twenty years old and English, but living in Scotland where I'm at university reading medicine.

I've been around these parts for more than four years now and I'll have been a moderator (for the GTD forum exclusively, no less!) for three come January. The major topics are cyclic but there's been more than enough fun, clever and novel discussion to keep me a member and an active one for a long time. I'm not as noticed as I have been in the past (polite way of saying I posted a lot) but I enjoy the forums I frequent.

TNG has always been my favourite series though I was late for the party: only catching it as series seven aired on the BBC. The mid-nineties was a golden age for repeated and new Star Trek and other SF&F so I saw a whole lot of TOS, TNG and DS9 in a short space of time (on a B&W TV no less!) as well as a whole lot of duff sci-fi: Buck Rodgers, Space Precinct 88, Space: 1999, Battlestar Galactica, BSG 80 and so on and so forth.

I've gradually lost interest in most cult TV because I don't consider much of it particularly good (notable exceptions being Firefly, Buffy, Angel), however my love for Star Trek hasn't changed. There's definitely been a downturn of late: I was very disappointed in Enterprise and Nemesis gets a little bit worse every time I watch it; but I can rewatch an episode of TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager any time I wish without anything getting stale.

Hm. Witter witter witter. I'll stop.

But..

But..

TNG rawks. ;)

17. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm 28, my name is Jon and i'm from the good ol' United of Kindoms. This is the place with all the history - castles etc.

Got into TOS as a nipper (Devil in the dark scared the hell out of me - also that episode where they all get turned into cubes and the yeoman gets crushed!) :eek:

Fell head over heels with Next Gen - to the point where i slowly assimilated the entire blank VHS collection in my house with Next Gen taped off BBC2. Nobody was allowed to tape anything else. I went mad when my mum taped Coronation street over the start of Star trek III :(- just after the bit where kirk enter spocks quarters and finds McCoy. She tried to blame it on the dog (it was a well trained dog but it couldnt use the VCR)... :wtf:

I'll watch any episode of TNG, any time any place any where. Although I will go on record that although Next Gen is my favourite series overall - I think DS9 was the best Star Trek series out of the five (if you get what i mean).

JON

18. DixonHill

DixonHill Ensign Newbie

Okay :) My turn! :D
    I'm a twenty three year old Norwegian, I work for a municipal as an IT consultent for end user equipment, which basicly means I make sure the computers themselves work and don't really have much to do with the network unless there is a large workload there.
    I have a cute lil' son called Markus, he's a year and three months now.... a lovely being filled with love, who has made all the warnings of parenthood false ;)
    Oh, and then there's the wife but let's not get into that ...hehe...

I started watching TNG back when it was on TVNorge but it only ran for three seasons so in other words it stopped when it was getting good!
    I spent most of my youth running around in an ADHD daze which involved a lot of... let's just say illegal activity but now'a days I'm a happy family man, completely assimilated into society....oh wait, no I'm not!
    so, anyho, HI!

Spider1: That's my list too!! but I have to say it looks really cramped at you work with all the wires and stuff ;)
    (warning, many more dry jokes will follow this one!)

19. OnTheRise

OnTheRise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well hello all of you. I'm 20 years old. Yes that does mean that I was 2 when TNG first aired. I wont lie to you and tell you that its my favorite because the one that truly got me hooked on Star Trek was Voyager. I was raised on that and Deep Space 9. As for my favorite people from TNG, obviously Tasha, because you cant help but love her. Too bad she had to die. I like Captain Picard as well. I've always liked Whoopi Goldberg, so Guinan gets and honorable mention. I guess that it.

20. Tatiana

Tatiana Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi everyone! I’m 27 bookkeeper on railway org. I live in Ukraine. Here and in Russia we can see Star Trek not so often as we wish, so we try to collect it anyway it’s possible. At 2002 one of our TV channels show us TNG, only two seasons. Before that event I saw ST movies and read some ST books. I was found of Mr. Spock, but when I saw #1 Riker, I understand, that something changes in my life. Especially after Shades of Grey. That happens, that I saw it in shorter version, so I just saw Riker’s behavior and his struggle with death (angry emotions mostly). It impress me so much, help me to realize many things. . .
    From that time I was 100% Riker’s fan (after Last Outpost I notice him, but not so much to fond of).
    By now I have and saw all TNG and all other ST series, but still love Riker and feel deep respect to Jonathan Frakes. I even make my own site to tell everybody of him on Russian.

About TNG. I like it more from the others series ‘cos relationships onboard and between different nations are look adorable and I think that it’s the world I want to live in…
    Lots of social calls, as they say, and I like it (friendship, loyalty, humanism). I also like balance between characters, their development. Picard are the great captain and Will the best # 1!!!

PS. Sorry for my poor English :(