The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Law and Order was on 20 years but not a great comparison.

Mash was on 11 years and pretty much had the same characters.

Kelsey Grammer played Frasier Crane over two series for 20 years.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that is a strong possibility; walkers are already around the town, and if sound attracts them, Rick's group probably leads more in the direction of Woodbury. Once the battle begins, I can see Rick's group deliberately leading walkers into the town to act as not-so-human shields from Woodbury bullets and arrows. The town will be tossed into chaos, which--in theory--should allow Rick's group more time to search for Glenn & Maggie....

...but the preview seems to suggest Glenn and Maggie will be threatened to force Rick's group into a quick surrender.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That was insane. I am not looking forward to the mid-season break.

It's not a very good division of labour to send ALL the warriors out on a rescue mission, I know they don't have many people but it's kind of an all-or-nothing gamble.

Glen killing that zombie was badass.

The music at the end was really tense.

4. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another great episode.

Was I the only one that was bothered by the death of the hermit? Yes the guy was a bit coo coo for coco puffs but was it enough to be killed and made zombie bait?
    What I watched was out and out murder, the guy could have been easily overpowered and restrained when running for the door.
    Bottom line this group of people break into his cabin, startle him awake and then point weapons at him, what did they expect him to do?
    Rick and crew would react the same way if that were done to them, I guess what bothers me even more is our group seems to be turning into a mini group like the one second season Randall was a part of, that was pretty evident with how they treated Michone earlier in the episode, she came baring gifts and Rick is jabbing her in her gunshot leg..WTF?

Given a little time Rick and crew could mirror Woodbury pretty easily IMO.

Speaking of Wood bury, why isn’t there 50 gazzilion zombies surrounding that place?
    If noise attracts Zombies then their fight night events should have every Zombie in the county at their door step.
    Look how many Rick and crew encountered a mile maybe two (Michone’s words) right outside Woodbury, I live out in the country and on a quiet night sound travels like a mo fo, I would think every night would be quiet out there since there is no industrial noise what-so-ever masking any sound.

Not only that, during the day at their little shin dig kids were running around and making all kinds of noise and no one seemed to be trying to keep the noise down either.

Second to Lastly Glenn is a badass, I hope BAG (bad Ass Glenn) is here to stay.

Lastly since next week is the mid season finale, I see the group getting captured at the end of the episode.
    Andrea will flip and be a part of the group getting free.
    I think the other part of the group being free will be Merle, after the Governor is dead (we know he will be) the show will need another main antagonist, Merle fits that role perfectly.

5. TREK_GOD_1

Carl, Carol and Hershel all know how to use guns. They can do this while Beth takes care of the baby.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Axel's still at home, isn't he? I didn't see him with the others.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Axel stayed behind at the prison.

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a bad feeling that Axel, who doesn't seem like the Axel from the books, is maybe going to do something bad (I suspect to Beth).

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think right now the group is so small they won't be fighting amongst themselves for a while

10. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I think beth is a goner. they left the other inmate with them and I think he gonna kill her. that twill be the death for the season finale

12. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

missed this post. yep that is what I was thinking

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

What do we know about Axel?
    * Axel is a criminal. The reason for his conviction hasn't been stated.
    * Axel wants to be part of the community. After the death of the others, he raises the possibility of him and Oscar joining the group with Rick.
    * Axel has mechanical skills. In one of the episodes, he is mentioned by Darryl as working on the generators.

I doubt very much that Axel will turn against the community, or take any action that would threaten his standing with the community.

If there is a death, I think it might be Maggie or Glenn, or the person who fell in the prison. (See trailer.)

14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Rebel scum"!!! LOL!!

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe just the optimist in me....i see Axel as some poor guy who messed up pretty bad (like drugs and theft), and was locked up at the "worst" possible time, and is just needy for a community...somewhere where he has significance and love.

We'll see...

Hmm..but Beth, on the other hand...she could be somone who gets shot when the raiding party comes (maybe even becomes a walker because it's not safe to get her body).

Oh, and to answer PKerr, yes, I was bothered by it too. In the AMC Story Sync poll, i voted "Tactically right, but morally wrong." He didn't "deserve' death, but he was running so fast to the door -- if he went out, everyone might have died from the Walkers (or bit, at least). Other than Michonne, was anyone close enough to grab him? And even if they did, could they have calmed him down enough to all escape?

16. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Axel made an offhand remark about having been convicted on drug charges, but who's to say that's true

I might have thought he could turn out the way that people have been predicting he will, by being attributed one of the graphic novel's rather upsetting plot points. It wouldn't have surprised me... UNTIL the display that the Governor put on this week with Maggie

Now I'm thinking that even though it wasn't followed through, it was still enough to put some ugly into the show, & I'm doubting now that they'd be willing to play that same card on the very next episode

Possibly in the future with his character, but it's seeming less & less likely

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I love how the reasoning that Axel is a rapist is based solely on the looks of the guy playing him, despite absolutely no on-screen evidence that he's that type of character whatsoever. I mean, not even a tiny little hint that he's a rapist. Not a wink at any of the girls (or anyone else for that matter); nothing.

But yeah, he looks kinda shifty so he must be a rapist. ???

18. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The reason people are talking about Axel isn't because of his looks

In the comics, one of the prisoners they rescued turned out to be a killer. Now, this guy wasnt called Axel, in the comics Axel was a good guy, but he pretended to be harmless, and then decapitated two women.

Now the series doesnt follow the comics to the letter, but they do follow the major headlines, changing parts here and there to better suit their needs. People are worried that Axel will decapitate Beth, not rape her, and its not because of his looks

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

In a visual narrative, the way a character looks ("the looks of the guy playing him") is a big part of how we interpret him. Casting is never blind, and "shifty" (putting his hands under his arms nervously, the hint of a stammer) is often cinema/tv shorthand for "watch out for this guy." It's a little lazy, but cliches are cliches for a reason. Further, it wouldn't be "solely" based on that, because as some of us have noted, this show has a tendency to conflate characters and to transfer plots and personalities between them (Dale/Herschel). I think that since the name "Axel" has been applied to someone who seems nothing like the big Zen biker of the books, we can reasonably assume some other plot is being assigned to him - and there's a doozy that seems off the table right now, with a nearly-silent young blonde who has clearly been preserved for something. None of this theory is unreasonable.

I do take Mojochi's point, though, that it might be too much to play this card too soon after the Governor's creep-turn. At the same time, any relief the audience might have felt when the Governor didn't actually physically rape Maggie might be the fake-out. "Are ya relieved? Well, look what just happened over here, then, back at the homebase."

20. TREK_GOD_1

Cliches are also use to throw viewers off; early in season one--and even season two, it was assumed Daryl would be as much a racist ass as his brother--especially where T-Dog was concerned before Daryl gave him antibiotics.

If it happens so soon--or at all, the series would have moved to the point of going for cheap shock gimmicks, as the producers already seem to think shock is a substitute for drama.

For example, the threat of zombies is a just a matter of fact reality for Rick's group, and during an attack, anything can happen, but T-Dog's attention being so occupied while he knew zombies were around him was a BS attempt at shock.

After dealing with zombies for so long, it makes him seem stupid to focus all of his attention on a fence while zombies are surrounding him--and he was aware of them.

The novelty of extreme violence or strange occurences lose their power when used so liberally, and for the wrong reason. On that note, if Beth is raped and/or murdered at the hands of Axel--or any of the Woodbury gang, it just seems like the showrunners feel excessive shock is drama, as if to inspire a "I can't believe they did that" or "this is sooo grim" repsonse from the audience.