Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

2. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Hahahaha that' great.. I just might have to buy that....

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, you should start watching.

It's a great show overall, though the last couple of episodes after the hiatus weren't that good.

Nice shirt too :lol:

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude! I want one. In a related note, I just watched Voyager's "The Good Sheppard" for the first time in years and was thinking the one loner guy is like Sheldon.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Paper disproves Spock?"

A little help...? :rommie:

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Researcher humor. It can be strange.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Is it wrong that I was more amused by the Saturn 3/Deep Space Nine/Babylon 5 exchange? :lol:

8. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah think of it as this:

a research paper has the thesies that there is no spock and attmepts to prove there is no spock. Thus 'Paper' disproves spock.

9. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

<knock knock knock>

Penny!

<knock knock knock>

Penny!

<knock knock knock>

Penny!

:lol:

10. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

is that with the accwptable peace offerig?

11. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The UnOffical Rules Page:

http://www.samkass.com/theories/RPSSL.html

ETA: Hehe...I just saw on the t-shrit site in the OP < http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/b597/ > a great 6th possible permutation: "Large Hadron Collider"!!! HA! (I assume for that you'd, what, clasp both hands together and form a big circle with your arms?)

But that would be cheating I guess, since I imagine that Large Hadron Collider smashes everything and then smashes it's component atoms too. Or maybe creates a black hole that swallows the rock, paper, scissors, lizard & Spock, plus the entire planet or starship that they are on or in as well. Or LHC triggers a phase-change in the hypothetical false vaccume, destroying the entire universe containing the rock, paper, scissors & Spock!

Oh, but, Spock could deactivate the LHC with his mad science skillz, and so 'Spock deactivates LHC' works! Oh, and how about 'paper disproves crazy theory about LHC creating black hole and/or destroying the universe, then goes further on the show a flaw in the LHC design that causes it to be taken off line until next spring'!?!?

Kewl!:rommie:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  12. bryce

Oh, and yes, you should start watching The Big Bang Theory!

And my 13 year-old daughter just seconded that! Oh, and my my oldest son and middle daughter also said ditto! (The other two are two young - 5 & 3 - to get the show, but they said yes too, just to be included!:rommie:)

I refused to even glance at the show at first, because I thought that it looked like it was just gonna be another brainless mean-spirited popular media creation based on the idea that it's "funny" for straight (aka "normal", aka "Herbert") sheeple to pick on stereotypical geeks and nerds. (Plus I don't watch sit-coms.)

But some Trekkie & Browncoat friends of mine kept raving about the show each week, so I reluctantly agreed to take a peek at one episode, and I was hooked in like 2 minutes! (So were my oldest 2 kids - especially my 13yr daughter, who is an astronomy and band geek herself, and "proud of it!")

I mean sure, the 4 main male characters are stereotypical uber-geeks in a lot of ways, but as an uber geek myself (and all of us here on TBBS would have to be geeks or we wouldn't be here) I can relate to Sheldon and Lenard a lot, and they are much more than 1 dimensional stereotypes based on how average people see Trekkies and nerds and geeks. And it's obvious somebody writing for this is a BIG geek themselves - a lot of the humor is based on having some basic understanding of things like Star Trek, D&D, string theory, and science in general. Non of my non-geek relatives get or like the show at all!)

So give it at shot this Monday - all of you hold outs here - and reposrt back here after and tell us why you now love the show! ;)

(I should add a disclaimer: I guess I can't really claim to be a perfect geek, since I have mentioned having several children here - 5 - and so I have obviously had sex or perfected cloning (not yet on the latter, still working on it!) But I can I assure you that I was a virgin through high-school and then some! And didn't date *ever* until college or have sex until I was 23! And not for lack of wanting to, but because I was a BIG geek!

And anyway, 2 of the main geeks in this show have sexual interactions with otheer people! Although the other too...not likely in this 11 dimensional M-brane of spacetime...)

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I thought so. I was hoping it would be, yknow, something humorous. ;)

Like, rock beats Spock because he mind-melds with the rock and learns its only trying to protect its eggs. Which means Spock has to beat paper, which is simple, if we're talking about a paper-mache boulder he uses to hit Kirk over the head with, while in the throes of pon-farr.

Some nerds those guys are, I came up with far nerdier shit in twenty seconds.

14. bryce

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only recently got into this show, but I loved it. I caught a repeat of the pilot episode on TV a few weeks ago, and I was hooked straight away. Thanks to the power of the internet, I then tracked down and watched every episode over a three day period. Great stuff. Now I can't wait for the last two episodes of S2 next month.

Any word on whether there'll be a third season?

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe a 3rd season is pretty much guaranteed.

The show's ratings are pretty strong if what I've read on the internet is accurate.
    The last episode a couple of weeks ago brought in the strongest ratings ever for the show.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  17. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's good to hear. Thanks.