DS9 Season 10, ep 10x22 - "Ascension" (part 3 of 3). SEASON FINALE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by DS9Continuing, Jun 17, 2012.

1. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here we go, ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon. This is it. Season finale. What it's all been building up to. Hopefully you'll like it.

Before that though...

Previously, on DS9 Season 10:

Original threads:

Episodes 1 to 7 (pdfs 1 2 3 4 5 6 7)
    Episode 8 (pdf)
    Episode 9 (pdf)
    Episode 10 (pdf)
    Episode 11 (pdf)
    Episode 12 (pdf)
    Episode 13 (pdf)
    Episode 14 (pdf)
    Episode 15 (pdf)
    Episode 16 (pdf)
    Episode 17 (pdf)
    Episode 18 (pdf)
    Episode 19 (pdf)
    Episode 20 (pdf)
    Episode 21 (pdf)

All episodes are also available at the Ad Astra fan-fic archives, link here.

Without further ado...

10x22 - "Ascension"

Enjoy!

2. DS9Continuing

Re: DS9 Season 10, ep 10x22 - "Ascension" (part 3 of 3). SEASON FINALE

TEASER

FADE IN:

1 INT. DS9 – QUARK’S BAR

A table on the main floor, at which several civilians of various races sit. Perched on a chair with them is PIF, spines erect and tail wagging with happiness at the fact that he is the centre of attention.

One of the civilians has one of Pif’s tiny green puppies in her lap, snuggling and offering belly rubs. Everyone coos and baby-babbles at the almost unbearable cuteness.

QUARK is behind his bar, watching this with a grimace of revulsion. He turns away to return a bottle to its shelf, and when he turns back, he JUMPS in shock...

QUARK
    Bah! ​

...because another puppy is sitting on the bar right in front of him, tail thumping, waiting to be cuddled. Quark steadies himself from the shock, muttering to himself.

QUARK
    Filthy little vermin...​

RO is nearby, with a coffee but standing, ready to run if needed. She reaches out to scratch the puppy’s neck.

RO
    What are you talking about?
    I think they’re adorable. ​

QUARK
    They’re unsanitary, is what
    they are. ​

RO
    But they’re so soft and furry! ​

QUARK
    I know. And furry things are
    unnatural. Animals don’t have
    fur on Ferenginar. ​

RO
    Because of the damp? ​

QUARK
    Exactly! Who wants to be all
    matted and water-logged? ​

Quark proudly strokes his own large bald head to emphasise the point. Ro pouts at him.

RO
    Well, I’d keep your voice down
    if I were you. People tend to
    not like it when someone calls
    their baby “unnatural.” ​

QUARK
    Oh, don’t worry. If I can avoid
    calling my own niece a hairy
    half-breed, I can manage this.
    (pointed)
    As long as they stay off the bar. ​

With a roll of the eyes, Ro lovingly lowers the puppy down to the deck and lets it scamper off back to its parents.

QUARK
    How are you doing? ​

RO
    (evasive)
    What do you mean? ​

QUARK
    Oh, nothing. Just that... I’ve
    been living on this station for
    a long time now. I’ve spent the
    last ten years watching my
    friends go off to war, risking
    their lives... and they don’t
    always come back in one piece. ​

Ro doesn’t really respond, just looks down into her coffee. Quark is being deliberately casual but obviously fishing...

QUARK
    I know I make it look easy, but
    it’s no fun always being the
    one left behind. Always the one
    who has to keep morale up, the
    rock everyone leans on...​

Ro smiles quietly to herself. She knows Quark is only trying to be helpful.

RO
    That’s the second officer’s job,
    Quark. Hold down the fort while
    everyone else has all the fun. ​

Clearly they’re both worried about the others. Neither wants to say it out loud, but they both know.

SHAR (comm)
    Ops to Lieutenant Ro. ​

RO
    (taps combadge)
    Go ahead, Shar. ​

SHAR (comm)
    It’s nearly time, sir. You
    wanted to be informed? ​

RO
    I’ll be right there. Ro out. ​

She taps the combadge to close, takes a last swig of coffee and steps back from the bar. Ro and Quark share a moment, then she turns and leaves. Quark watches her go, feeling sympathetic. Then he turns back to the bar...

QUARK
    Bah! ​

...And the puppy is back on the bar, tail thumping away, waiting to be cuddled. Quark grits his teeth...

2 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

The turbolift rises into Ops, carrying Ro. She steps off and down to the centre table, where CENN runs the boards. SHAR is at sciences, LEISHMAN at engineering, SEVAK at tactical and extras elsewhere. Shar works his panels, and the viewscreen reveals the star field, a fleet of Bajoran Militia ships holding position.

RO
    (to Cenn)
    Anything from Lenaris? ​

CENN
    Negative, Lieutenant. ​

Ro nods anxiously. Then Cenn’s panel beeps – an incoming message. Cenn reads it, looks up at Ro, surprised.

CENN
    It’s not General Lenaris.
    It’s a personal message,
    for Lieutenant ch’Thane. ​

SHAR
    (eyes wide)
    For me? ​

RO
    Take it in the Captain’s office,
    if you want some privacy. ​

SHAR
    Thank you, Lieutenant. ​

He clearly wasn’t expecting anything. A little confused, Shar gets up from his station and heads into Kira’s office (an extra takes his place). Then Ro turns back to Cenn. She’s just waiting for something to happen. And desperately hoping it won’t.

There’s another alert on Cenn’s panels...

CENN
    General Lenaris reports rising
    neutrino levels. ​

They both know what that means.

RO
    Tell him to back off another
    five-hundred kilometres. I
    don’t want them to get caught
    up in the backwash. ​

Cenn relays the message...

3 EXT. SPACE

The ships of the Bajoran fleet back away, spreading out further from the wormhole’s event horizon.

Then it happens – the wormhole BURSTS open, surging with power and energy and colour. Only it’s different. It’s much more powerful, erratic, violent. And the colour is not the usual serene and peaceful blue. The wormhole is BURNING, orange and yellow and red flames churning amongst the blue and white petals. Our POV shakes with the force of it.

4 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Ro and Cenn grip the edge of the table, holding on as the station shudders. Cenn gapes in horror at the sight...

CENN
    Prophets... I don’t see how
    anything could survive that. ​

RO
    Let’s hope the Prophets them-
    selves can. ​

The door from Kira’s office opens and Shar emerges. He’s looking a bit shell-shocked, barely notices the station shaking. He’s had big news. Ro doesn’t have time to ask.

RO
    Shar, are the gravimetric
    distortions affecting Bajor? ​

Pulling himself together, Shar excuses the extra from the science station and takes over the panels. He reads...

SHAR
    Yes. Starfleet stations on the
    surface are reporting tectonic
    disturbances all over the planet. ​

A particularly violent shudder shakes the station. On the screen, the wormhole churns and spits fire into space.

RO
    This has got to end soon. ​

Ro grits her teeth, grips on tight, watching the screen...

5 EXT. SPACE

Just then, it does. The wormhole closes back up, but leaves wisps of coiling energy and distortions in the space around it, taking longer to dissipate than normal.

6 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Ro and Cenn remain on edge, watching the screen...

RO
    Stay alert, everyone. It’s
    not ever yet. ​

Everyone continues to wait, just the humming of the power core and the silent flashing lights of YELLOW ALERT. They wait. And they wait. Ro looks to Shar...

RO
    Anything? ​

Shar shakes his head. Ro looks to Cenn. He shakes his head too. They all go back to waiting.

RO (v.o.)
    And that was all we knew. We had
    no idea how things were going...
    how things had gone on the other
    side. There was no way to tell.
    So we just had to wait, and hope
    that if something came through
    the wormhole, it was the right
    kind of something. ​

7 INT. DS9 – WARD ROOM

Admiral AKAAR sits across the table, looking into camera.

AKAAR
    Then you did not know of Captain
    Sisko’s plans in advance? ​

ANGLE to reveal Ro sits opposite him. The pair have their usual spiky repartee, but this is an official debriefing.

RO
    I knew the plans he told us,
    Admiral. I didn’t know what
    else he hadn’t told us. ​

AKAAR
    And had you known... would you
    have attempted to stop him? ​

RO
    How am I supposed to know? I
    don’t believe in the Prophets
    like he did. Does. Besides, it
    doesn’t matter now, does it?
    It’s finished. ​

AKAAR
    The threat may be over. That is
    yet to be determined for certain.
    As is the cost of success. ​

RO
    The cost... Well, that’s some-
    thing we’re just all going to
    have to live with. ​

As much as he hates to agree with Ro, Akaar can only nod sadly. Ending on Ro’s reined in but clearly damaged emotions...

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

3. DS9Continuing

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

8 EXT. SPACE

The colourful wisps of the Omarion Nebula. Slowly ZOOM in, until we find the Even Odds sitting against the backdrop.

9 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

DEZ in command, FACITY, GLESSIN and BRAD elsewhere. And PRYNN at the helm.

PRYNN
    Okay. We’re holding position
    at the Omarion Nebula. This is
    where we got the Ascendants’
    attention last time. Let’s hope
    they’re creatures of habit. ​

DEZ
    (deadpan)
    Yeah. Let’s hope. Dez to Jake. ​

10 THE WA

JAKE and RENA stand together in the white space of the WA.

JAKE
    Go ahead. ​

DEZ (comm)
    We’re in position. If you’re
    still determined to do this...
    then you may as well go ahead
    and do it. ​

JAKE
    Understood. Sisko out. ​

Together, Jake and Rena reach out to the orange patch... and both their fingers swim into the colour.

The Wa shifts to its orangey-hued communications mode. The VOICES start to whisper. Jake and Rena look to each other – it’s done. No turning back now.

11 INT. ASCENDANT PAVILION

Close on ILIANA’s smiling eyes...

ILIANA
    It’s time. ​

12 EXT. ASCENDANT ENCAMPMENT - NIGHT

The buildings and tents and constructions have been mostly dismantled and reabsorbed back into the ships.

All around the rim of the black glass amphitheatre that is their base, tiny Ascendant ships are glowing with power. Thousands of them, lighting up the night sky.

One at a time, then faster and faster, more and more, they lift effortlessly off the ground and into the air. They peel away from the crowd and up into space, and away.

Iliana and RAIQ stand by one of the last ships remaining. Raiq clambers up the ladder to the cockpit, climbs inside. Iliana holds back. She looks around... at the dismantled settlement and the guttering fires. The empty tents and pavilions. All the ships leaving. This is really it.

Iliana climbs up after Raiq, into the ship. The canopy closes, and the ship lifts gently up, turns and flies off after its companions.

13 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

Waiting, waiting... Dez turns to Facity at a rear console.

DEZ
    Anything? ​

FACITY
    I’d tell you if there was. ​

Waiting, waiting... There’s an alert on Facity’s panel. Facity checks it, turns to Dez. No need to say it. Dez turns to Prynn, who has been waiting anxiously.

DEZ
    Go. Now. ​

14 EXT. SPACE

Against the backdrop of the Omarion Nebula, the Even Odds powers up and jumps straight to warp. We slowly turn to look behind it...

...and a cloud of tiny Ascendant ships are chasing it down, thousands of predators pursuing one helpless victim.

15 EXT. SPACE

The Jem’Hadar fleet, spread throughout the Idran system. We focus on one of the small fighter ships...

16 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

KIRA stands in the centre, and TARAN’ATAR is her First. Both wear the comm headsets. Other Jem’Hadar run the other bridge stations, and all of them are armed, just in case.

But Kira is on edge. So many questions, so many worries, and she can’t do anything about any of them.

17 EXT. SPACE

What looks like empty space. But we slowly CLOSE IN on one particular spot...

POV pushes forwards through a distortion field... and we’re right up on the Defiant’s hull. We keep pushing forward until we also pass THROUGH the hull of the ship, through bulkheads and technology, and into...

18 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

...where VAUGHN sits in command. DAX is at sciences, BOWERS at tactical, ALECO at the helm, extras elsewhere. Lights are low - BLUE ALERT indicating the ship is under cloak. Just like everywhere else, the tension is enormous.

VAUGHN
    Everything’s set up with the
    subspace relay? ​

DAX
    Yes, sir. Between Nog, Shar
    and Jadzia... we got it. ​

Vaughn nods along. He already knew all this. Asked it a dozen times already. But he needs to fill the time.

VAUGHN
    Anything from the Even Odds? ​

DAX
    No, sir. But that doesn’t mean
    anything one way or the other. ​

Vaughn GRIPS his armrest harder, clenching and clenching...

19 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

On Prynn, as she runs the helm, all her concentration on the console and the readings and the viewscreen...

20 EXT. SPACE

The Even Odds runs as fast as it can, but it’s not enough. The lead Ascendant ship FIRES its massive jagged bolt of white electricity...

...and misses, as the Even Odds twists out of the way.

21 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

No time to gloat, but Prynn does allow herself a small smile of pride. Facity runs a rear console...

FACITY
    Can they do their jump trick
    at warp? ​

PRYNN
    No idea. Never asked. ​

22 EXT. SPACE

More and more Ascendant ships are joining the chase. Three of them FIRE at once. Even Odds dodges the first shot, and the second... but the third HITS.

CLOSE UP on the Even Odds' hull, as the dissolving effect begins to take hold...

23 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

Facity is checking her panels...

FACITY
    Direct hit... ablative armour
    is holding. ​

PRYNN
    (concentrating)
    Thank you, Nog... ​

24 INT. DEFIANT – ENGINEERING

On NOG, at the tall stand-alone console in the middle of the room, the warp core throbbing rhythmically behind him.

NOG
    Everyone in position? ​

He looks around at his staff, including regular faces like PERMENTER and CANDLEWOOD.

NOG
    Captain Sisko said that when
    the subspace inversion starts,
    it can cause fluctuations in
    the warp core. So stay alert. ​

PERMENTER
    We’re on it, sir. ​

25 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

Silence and impatience on the bridge, just the low hum of the ship’s systems and the gentle beeping of sensors...

...until a louder repeating BEEP on Bowers’ console. He reads the results, turns to Vaughn...

BOWERS
    The Even Odds just entered the
    system, sir. ​

VAUGHN
    Alright, everyone. Stay cool.
    They don’t even know we’re here. ​

26 EXT. SPACE

The Even Odds runs... and the massive cloud of Ascendant ships follow it into the system.

We focus on one of the small silver dart-like vessels in particular, leading the chase...

27 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #1

Raiq is in the front seat, working the ship’s smooth silver surfaces via their shifting coloured patches. She drives the ship onwards, eagerly chasing the Even Odds. Iliana in in the seat behind her, watching everything.

The surfaces shimmer, the colours shifting in such a way that catches Raiq’s attention. Manipulates the controls, interprets the results...

RAIQ
    Mistress, this star system...
    the vessel responds to it.
    The historical database has
    generated a report...​

She reads it further, her eyes bulging, her jaw dropping...

RAIQ
    By the great Unnameable... this
    is the home of the Eav’oq. The
    place of our greatest enemies...
    and our greatest defeat. ​

ILIANA
    And I have brought you back to
    them, as I promised I would. ​

RAIQ
    Oh, praise the True! Mistress,
    you truly are touched by their
    light. We have succeeded! The
    Fortress must be near...​

Another shift in her consoles. She reads again...

RAIQ
    The ship responds anew.
    (angry sneer)
    Mistress... look. ​

Iliana leaves her seat and looks out of the clear canopy...

28 EXT. SPACE

...At the enormous Jem’Hadar fleet looming before of them.

29 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #1

Raiq is appalled at this sight.

RAIQ
    The animals. The monsters who
    worship the false polymorphs...
    They protect the Eav’oq. ​

ILIANA
    It appears they have allied
    against us...​

Furious, Raiq dives her silver hand into the ORANGE smudge. The tone of the interior shifts from bright silver to burning orange, signifying communications mode.

RAIQ
    Archquesters! Knights of the
    Ascendancy! The Fire has lit
    the way, as doctrine promised.
    But these animals block our
    path. Destroy them all! ​

Mindless in her fury, Raiq yanks her hand out of the orange smudge and works the panels, shifting the ship into attack mode... while Iliana sits back and watches, inscrutable.

30 EXT. SPACE

The entire Ascendant fleet turns as one and surges towards the Jem’Hadar fleet.

The Jem’Hadar fleet readies itself for combat...

...and the Even Odds is caught in between.

31 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira shouts to her Jem’Hadar crew...

KIRA
    Here they come! Remember...
    no-one gets past. Do whatever
    you need to to stop them. But
    no stupid sacrifices. I don’t
    need martyrs, I need winners. ​

Taran’atar moves to direct his soldiers. Kira jerks as she suddenly remembers...

KIRA
    Oh! And don’t shoot the Even
    Odds. Get them through the
    lines and behind us. ​

She stands in the centre of the bridge, watching the fleet approach on her tiny eye-screen...

32 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

Running her helm station, Prynn looks up at the viewscreen, with its image of the massive Jem’Hadar fleet looming in front of them, getting ever closer...

PRYNN
    Holy sh-​

BAM. The ship is hit by another Ascendant power bolt. Prynn gets back to business.

33 EXT. SPACE

As the Jem’Hadar and Ascendant fleets engage, the Even Odds dances and swerves around, avoiding BOLTS of electricity from one and BLASTS of phaser power from the other.

One Ascendant ship pursues the Even Odds straight into the lines. A Jem’Hadar fighter ZOOMS past and blows it to bits.

We focus on one of the massive Jem’Hadar behemoth ships, holding position at the centre of the distribution...

34 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #2

The bridge of the giant ship. WEYOUN serves as its Vorta, with the teenage Founder MEERA also there. The ship shakes as it comes under fire...

A ball of FLAMES bursts into life in the middle of the bridge, wafting away and revealing ASCENDANT #1, sneering with hatred. Meera staggers back out of its way as the Jem’Hadar soldiers turn towards it...

WEYOUN
    Protect the Founder! ​

The Jem’Hadar form a barrier around Meera. One of them draws his kar’takin blade and slashes it at Ascendant #1... but the blade goes right through him as if he’s not there.

35 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira and Taran’atar’s crew. They also have ASCENDANT #2 on their bridge, and the Jem’Hadar are reacting...

KIRA
    Ignore him! He’s just a holo-
    gram, he can’t do anything. ​

TARAN’ATAR
    Do as she says! ​

The other Jem’Hadar turn back to running their ship. It shudders under more external fire. Taran’atar pulls his own blade and holds it out towards Ascendant #2, just in case.

The Ascendant sneers back at him, then turns his attention to the computer screens, stares at them hard. The screens run and fritz with data. Lights begin to flicker and die.

Power is interrupted across the ship, sputtering and trying to reengage, like a car trying to restart a stalled engine.

KIRA
    (eyes wide)
    Oh. I forgot that part.
    (out loud)
    Find where that signal is
    coming from and destroy it! ​

36 EXT. SPACE

The battle continues to rage all around, Jem’Hadar ships and Ascendant ships exploding left right and centre. The two fleets seem about evenly matched.

Kira’s Jem’Hadar fighter bucks sideways, turns and FIRES hard on the Ascendant ship nearest to it. A few moments of serious phaser fire, and the tiny ship EXPLODES.

37 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Ascendant #2 bursts into flames as his origination point is destroyed. He screams as he burns away to nothing...

KIRA
    Track that frequency and send
    it out to the entire fleet.
    Tell them to block it. ​

Taran’atar works a control on his headset as he passes on the message...

ROSS (v.o.)
    I see you haven’t entirely
    forgotten your Starfleet
    training then, Captain. ​

CUT TO:

38 INT. DS9 – WARD ROOM

Admiral ROSS sits across the table from Kira. She does not appreciate his comment.

KIRA
    This wasn’t a Starfleet mission,
    Admiral. You made sure of that. ​

Her eyes move to take in the whole table – Ross, Akaar and BATANIDES, sat in a line across the table from Kira. This is an official after-action review by a whole panel of admirals. She blames them all equally.

Ross looks down and licks his lips. He regrets not being able to support Kira. But what’s done is done. Batanides tries to be a bit nicer, as is her way.

BATANIDES
    But you were successful in
    repelling the holographic
    Ascendants...?​

KIRA
    At first. ​

39 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

The ship seems to be back to normal, power restored, the Jem’Hadar concentrating on tracking external threats.

But then there’s another burst of FLAMES on the bridge, and ASCENDANT #3 stands before them, holding a spear.

KIRA
    Damn it! They must have changed
    the frequency. ​

JEM’HADAR #1 roars with fury and moves towards him... But before he has a chance to do anything, Ascendant #3’s image seems to ripple, as if passing through a force field. His spear bursts into flame, he LUNGES forwards...

...and SPEARS Jem’Hadar #1 right through the heart.

As Jem’Hadar #1 screams and Kira’s eyes flare in panic...

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

4. DS9Continuing

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

40 EXT. SPACE

The battle rages in space...

The Even Odds is still darting around, dodging desperately to stay out of the way.

41 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

Prynn grits her teeth, all her concentration on her helm...

Behind her, Dez holds on tight to his chair. The screen shows what seems like hundreds of Jem’Hadar and Ascendant ships, the image ducking and swerving as we fly through.

DEZ
    (whine)
    How many of them are there? ​

FACITY
    Fewer than there were. ​

42 EXT. SPACE

The Even Odds twists again, avoiding an Ascendant ship...

...that is currently pummelling the giant Jem’Hadar battle cruiser. It’s one of a dozen that are ganging up on the larger vessel. Their electric bolt weapons come at the giant ship from every side...

43 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #2

Weyoun and Meera. The Vorta cowers in a corner of the bridge, trying his best to keep the little changeling behind him while protecting himself at the same time.

The bridge is packed with Jem’Hadar soldiers and Ascendant knights battling hand-to-hand, phaser rifles and kar’takin knives against flaming spears and hand-thrown fireballs.

WEYOUN
    Founder, please, stay back. ​

MEERA
    These demons have taken enough
    from the Dominion already. ​

Meera slips past Weyoun, striding forwards into the fight, and heads for Ascendant #1. Weyoun chases after her...

WEYOUN
    Founder! ​

ASCENDANT #4 STABS Weyoun from behind, the burning tip of the spear piercing through his chest. Looking down at it in simple surprise, Weyoun crumples to the floor, dead.

Seeing this, Meera screams in renewed fury. She rushes for Weyoun’s killer, her hands MORPHing out into coiling ropes of changeling fluid as she comes...

44 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #3

Dominion Vessel 288, featuring VANNIS and REKAN’GANAR. The Jem’Hadar First fights ASCENDANTS #5 and #6, swirling and slashing and spinning as they attack him from both sides.

VANNIS
    Second! Concentrate on your
    targets. I want them gone! ​

JEM’HADAR #2 does so. We feel the ship’s weapons FIRE, and hear the boom of a successful kill. Meanwhile, Rekan’ganar kills Ascendant #5 with a hard STAB through the chest.

Then he twirls back to Ascendant #6... whose hand is made of flames. She THRUSTS the hand right into Rekan’ganar’s face, burning the Jem’Hadar First to death on the spot. He SCREAMS and sizzles, and crumples to the ground.

Vannis staggers back with a GASP. Ascendant #6 turns to her, lifts her hand. She’s carrying one of the energy balls we saw Blas use. She grins evilly, readies to throw...

45 EXT. SPACE

The Jem’Hadar ship EXPLODES.

The battle continues to rage...

46 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira and Taran’atar. Ascendant #3 battles JEM’HADAR #3, the knight’s flaming spear CLANGing against his knife. The rest of the crew are still running the ship.

Taran’atar turns to Kira with a stony look...

TARAN’ATAR
    Dominion Vessel Two-Eight-Eight
    is destroyed, Captain. ​

KIRA
    Vannis...​

Jem’Hadar #3 succeeds in SLASHing Ascendant #3’s throat. In another burst of flames, the knight vaporises.

47 EXT. SPACE

The giant Jem’Hadar battleship, under siege from a dozen of the tiny Ascendant ships, all firing their electric bolts.

The planet-side edge of the battle zone. The Jem’Hadar are holding the line, no Ascendants are getting through.

After a moment, the Even Odds ZOOMS through a tiny gap in the battle, into free space.

48 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

Prynn is still concentrating hard at the helm. Jake and Rena have returned to the bridge. Glessin and Brad run other stations. Facity checks her panels, elated...

FACITY
    We’re clear! We’re through the lines! ​

JAKE
    Yes! Congratulations, Prynn! ​

RENA
    And not a single casualty. ​

And then an EXPLOSION brighter than any so far appears on the viewscreen...

49 EXT. SPACE

The giant Jem’Hadar battleship has finally lost the battle. It CRUMBLES like the Gryphon, the body disintegrating while the powerful warp core BLOOMS with fire, consuming the ship from the inside out. One by one, the Ascendant attackers JUMP away, avoiding the tumbling debris.

50 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira yelps and flicks her headset’s eye-screen up, turning off the feed. The bright light had overloaded her eyes. She hisses and seethes at the massive death toll.

51 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

The crew all look at the viewscreen, watching the massive explosion and fire as the Jem’Hadar battleship burns.

GLESSIN
    (haunted)
    There must be thousands of
    Jem’Hadar on a ship that size...​

BRAD
    Meera was on there too...​

They all gaze sadly at the view on the screen...

52 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

Defiant’s crew likewise watches the continuing explosion from inside their hidden cloaked ship. Vaughn hardens, staring at the screen...

VAUGHN
    Are we still receiving the trans-
    ponder from the Even Odds? ​

Bowers works his panels, checking...

VAUGHN
    Come on! ​

BOWERS
    Yes, sir. The Even Odds is
    safely through the lines. ​

VAUGHN
    Good. Get our people on board
    as soon as possible. ​

And he gets up from the command chair and stalks off the bridge, no more said. Dax calls after him, surprised...

DAX
    Commander...? ​

But no response. He leaves.

CUT TO:

53 INT. DS9 – WARD ROOM

Batanides leans across the Ward Room table, alarmed...

BATANIDES
    I’m sorry, are you saying that
    Commander Vaughn abandoned the
    bridge during a combat situation? ​

Dax struggles to respond. She doesn’t want to lie, but she doesn’t want to get Vaughn in trouble either. Across the table from her, the three admirals look distinctly unhappy.

DAX
    Well, the Defiant wasn’t really
    in a combat situation at the time.
    The Jem’Hadar were handling that.
    And Captain Sisko had already
    assigned responsibility for our
    part of the plan to me. ​

The admirals glower as they reluctantly accept that.

AKAAR
    Where was Captain Sisko at this
    point? Why wasn’t he also on
    the bridge? ​

DAX
    From what I’ve heard, he was in
    his quarters. Making some final
    preparations. ​

54 INT. DEFIANT – CABIN

SISKO is sat at the tiny desk in his tiny cabin, in front of the tiny computer screen. He stares at it, just as down-cast and heartbroken as before. The door chime BEEPS...

SISKO
    Come in. ​

The door opens. Vaughn is there. Sisko looks at him, and looks away again. He doesn’t have time or energy for this.

SISKO
    This really isn’t a good time,
    Commander.​

VAUGHN
    I’m sorry to interrupt, Captain.
    But this is actually the perfect
    time. There’s something I need
    to tell you.
    (beat)
    I’m not here to fight, if that’s
    what you’re worried about. ​

Sisko looks to Vaughn again, and sees that that’s true. He relents. Vaughn comes in, and the door closes behind him.

SISKO
    What’s on your mind, Commander? ​

VAUGHN
    Well, that’s the question, isn’t
    it? You see I’ve been thinking a
    lot the last few days. Wondering
    whether the decisions I’ve made
    in my career... in my life...
    were the right ones. And even
    if they were... what they might
    have cost me as a person. ​

SISKO
    That’s why you asked me how I
    knew what to do. ​

VAUGHN
    Yes. ​

SISKO
    And did you find the answer? ​

VAUGHN
    I found an answer.
    (deep breath)
    I’ve been so angry at you, for
    what feels like so long. I felt
    like you betrayed me. Used me.
    I cloaked it all in terms of
    Prophets and accountability...
    but it was personal. ​

SISKO
    For me too, Elias. I didn’t
    enjoy having to lie to you.
    But it was necessary. ​

VAUGHN
    I know. That’s what I understand
    now – that it was necessary. ​

SISKO
    What changed? ​

VAUGHN
    A recent mission I undertook.
    With the help of some others
    on DS-Nine. It was my mission,
    but I dragged them into it...
    exactly the way you dragged
    me into yours. You played on
    my sense of feeling old and
    obsolete, needing to be useful
    again. I played the same trick
    on Doctor Bashir. I knew he
    wanted excitement and thrills.
    So that’s what I promised him. ​

It’s as if this is the first time Vaughn has been able to admit this to himself. Sisko sees that, so he stays quiet and lets Vaughn get it all out.

VAUGHN
    And Ro... she needs somebody to
    blame for her problems. I gave
    her Section 31. The fact that
    it’s actually true was neither
    here nor there. And in the
    process I nearly got both of
    them killed.
    (beat)
    So I guess what I’m saying is...
    I understand why you did it.
    And it turns out we’re not so
    different after all. ​

SISKO
    That’s not necessarily a good
    thing, Elias. ​

Vaughn sadly chuckles, and nods. He agrees with that.

55 EXT. SPACE

Outside, the battle is still going on. Ascendants and Jem’Hadar fight it out, destroying each other equally.

56 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

The Jem’Hadar soldiers run the ship, tracking targets and FIRING weapons. No more Ascendants, but plenty of burned and damaged consoles. Taran’atar barks orders...

TARAN’ATAR
    Target at bearing three-six mark
    two-eight-three. Fire! ​

We feel the ship FIRE, then we SHAKE as the enemy returns fire. Kira holds on to the railing against the shaking...

KIRA
    What’s taking Sisko so long? ​

TARAN’ATAR
    Unknown, Captain. However I can
    report that the Jem’Hadar are
    holding the line. The Founder’s
    death will not go unavenged. ​

Kira looks at him sadly. Another dead Founder.

57 EXT. SPACE

The continuing death of the giant Jem’Hadar battleship.

And then out of flames a small shape emerges – a golden MISSILE, launching out of the conflagration and straight at the nearest Ascendant ship. It flies straight at it...

And SMASHES right through the ship’s transparent canopy.

58 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #2

Inside, ASCENDANT #7 is caught by surprise as the golden missile instantly MORPHS into furious tendrils of change-ling matter that TEAR into the controls in a rage.

The changeling momentarily MORPHS again into a shape close enough to humanoid for us to recognise it as Meera, and then comes for Ascendant #7. The shocked and scared knight struggles as the changeling fluid flows over his body...

...and CRUSHES.

59 EXT. SPACE

The ship falls apart, decompressing from the hole in its canopy. Ascendant #7 floats out into open space. Meera unwinds from the body and heads off for her next victim.

The next Ascendant ship along JUMPS...

...and reappears in open space, away from the battle. It’s now pointing right towards the Idran system’s sun.

60 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #3

The pilot of this vessel is BLAS, and he is incensed by the loss of the other knight at the hands of a changeling.

In a fury, he dives his hand into the console’s YELLOW patch, clenches his fist... and PULLS.

61 EXT. ASCENDANT VESSEL

The missile launcher we saw in 10x14 “Against the Odds” extrudes itself from the ship’s smooth silver exterior, pointing towards the sun...

62 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira yells urgently...

KIRA
    Destroy that ship! Now! ​

63 EXT. SPACE

Three Jem’Hadar fighters converge on Blas’s ship, all of them FIRING at once...

...and DESTROY it just before it can launch its missile.

64 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #3

Blas screams as he in consumed in the flames.

65 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira sags with relief...

KIRA
    Thank the Prophets...​

Then another burst of FLAMES on the Jem’Hadar ship bridge. The flames waft away to reveal...

Iliana and Raiq, standing side by side. Iliana smiles evilly at Kira. On Kira’s shock and alarm...

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

5. DS9Continuing

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

66 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Iliana and Raiq stand on the bridge, facing Kira. Taran’atar ROARS, and lifts his knife for a killing blow...

ILIANA
    Nerys, wait! ​

Kira holds her hand out to stop Taran’atar. He obeys her, but stays on alert, as do all the other Jem’Hadar.

ILIANA
    I didn’t come to fight. I only
    came to talk. ​

KIRA
    (wary)
    To talk? ​

Under the above, we begin at Kira’s POV and PAN around. As we move, we...

BLEND INTO...

67 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #1 (CONTINUOUS)

...so that we are now looking from Iliana’s POV towards Kira and Taran’atar, who appear to be standing against the rear mirror wall, the Jem’Hadar bridge behind them. It’s like the Ascendants’ version of Starfleet’s holographic communicator system.

KIRA (cont)
    I think the time for talking
    has passed. ​

ILIANA
    Oh, you’d be surprised. ​

Raiq is a little confused by this development, but willing to go along with it for the sake of The Fire.

68 INT. DEFIANT – CABIN

Sisko sits, Vaughn stands.

SISKO
    Why now? Of all the times to
    talk to me... why now? ​

VAUGHN
    Because apparently I’m not
    capable of being honest with
    my feelings until we’re all
    at death’s door. ​

SISKO
    (quiet)
    That’s not funny, Elias. ​

VAUGHN
    Wasn’t meant to be. But if
    it comes down to it, then I
    suppose... I forgive you. ​

Sisko looks away, trying not to cry.

SISKO
    You don’t know what you’re
    forgiving me for. ​

VAUGHN
    (isn’t it obvious?)
    For lying to me.
    (beat)
    Why? What are you looking for
    forgiveness for? For killing
    the Ascendants? That’s what
    you do in a war, isn’t it?
    Kill the enemy. ​

SISKO
    That’s bad enough. But it’s
    not the worst. ​

VAUGHN
    I don’t see what more about
    this plan there is to feel
    guilty about. ​

SISKO
    That’s because I haven’t told
    you the whole plan. I haven’t
    told you the cost. ​

Vaughn frowns in confusion...

69 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

An eerie quiet on the Jem’Hadar bridge, as Iliana and Raiq face off with Kira and Taran’atar. The ship is not under attack during this, but sounds of battle outside continue.

KIRA
    You know who you remind me
    of, Iliana? ...Dukat. ​

Iliana’s reaction is surprisingly curious, non-violent...

KIRA
    Every time he failed, he just
    turned to the next bad guy in
    line for help, and kept trying.
    But he just kept failing. I’d
    say he taught you well. ​

Throwing a wrench in Kira’s bravado, Iliana grins.

ILIANA
    You’re trying to rattle me!
    That’s almost cute. Had this
    been a couple of years ago, it
    might have worked, too. But
    consider this, Nerys. Maybe...
    it’s not a coincidence. Dukat
    did die, after all... and the
    pagh-Wraiths were defeated. ​

Kira is thrown again – what is Iliana saying here? That she intends to be defeated? What’s going on?

70 EXT. SPACE

With the lights of the battle continuing in the background, we watch the Even Odds zoom towards us...

71 INT. EVEN ODDS - BRIDGE

Prynn is running the helm. She brings the ship to a stop.

PRYNN
    These are the coordinates.
    Even Odds to Defiant. We’re
    ready to beam up, Commander. ​

DAX (comm)
    Stand by, Prynn. ​

Prynn stands and joins the others in the centre. Brad waves a bittersweet goodbye to Jake, while Facity hugs Rena. Jake holds his hand out to Dez. Dez hesitates... then takes it.

JAKE
    Thank you for your help, Dez. ​

DEZ
    Just try to leave me out of your
    insane schemes in future, yeah? ​

JAKE
    (smirk)
    I’ll try. ​

FACITY
    Stay safe, you three. And
    good luck. ​

That done, they stand ready.

72 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

Under cloak. Dax is in the command seat. She turns and nods to Bowers at tactical. Bowers works his panels. Prynn, Jake and Rena materialize in a transporter beam on the bridge.

JAKE
    Hey, Dax. ​

DAX
    Good to have you back, Jake. ​

PRYNN
    Where’s my dad? ​

73 EXT. SPACE

The Even Odds zooms away again, making sure to stay as far away from the battle zone as possible.

Move to focus back onto that same battle zone...

74 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #1

Raiq and Iliana stand in their ship, talking to Kira on the rear bulkhead projection.

RAIQ
    Mistress, why do you talk with
    this heretic and her animals?
    We should be killing them! ​

ILIANA
    Not these ones, Raiq. ​

RAIQ
    But they stand between us and
    the Fortress. ​

ILIANA
    Raiq... look at her. Properly. ​

Raiq is still confused, but does as she’s told. She stares into Kira’s face...

FLASHBACK – 10x12 “HERESY”

When Raiq first meets Kira on the bridge of the Defiant. The imperious Ascendant woman gazes into Kira’s face, seemingly fascinated. Cocks her head, looks again.

RAIQ
    That face... I know you. ​

BACK TO SCENE

Dumbfounded and horrified realisation hits Raiq...

RAIQ
    Her face. I don’t understand.
    How did I not see this? ​

ILIANA
    Because I kept you distracted.
    Raiq... meet Nerys. She’s my...
    (searches for
    the word)
    She’s me. And now it’s time
    for you to go and join her. ​

Before Raiq can protest, Iliana grabs her and SHOVES her right at the rear wall of their tiny ship. With the same RIPPLE effect we saw earlier, she passes THROUGH...

BLEND INTO...

75 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1 (CONTINUOUS)

...and comes out the other side onto the Jem’Hadar bridge. She staggers to a stop, utterly confused...

KIRA
    Hold her! But don’t hurt her. ​

Taran’atar quickly moves and wraps his arms around Raiq’s entire body from behind, pinning her own arms down. His physical strength is definitely greater than hers. Iliana remains as just a hologram, in the centre of the room.

RAIQ
    Mistress! What are you doing? ​

ILIANA
    I’m following the Prophets’
    plan, Raiq. Or the True’s. Or
    the Fates, the Siblings, the
    wormhole aliens... they have
    so many names. ​

RAIQ
    You speak heresy! ​

ILIANA
    No! I’m doing exactly what
    they want. I’m the Emissary!
    (beat)
    All that time wasted, thinking
    it was the alternate Bajorans.
    I got the job right, just the
    wrong company. Funny how life
    turns out, isn’t it, Nerys?
    (beat)
    But I’ve done exactly what I
    said I would. I’ve led you to
    the Fortress... To the end. ​

As Raiq struggles futilely against Taran’atar, Kira realizes something else with horror...

KIRA
    You know... about Sisko’s plan. ​

ILIANA
    (sad nod)
    I know. More than you do, most
    likely. There’s parts of it I
    can’t imagine he’d want spread
    around in advance. ​

As Kira wonders what Iliana could possibly mean...

76 INT. DEFIANT – CABIN

Sisko sits at his computer, looking sadly up at Vaughn, who stands by the door.

SISKO
    It’s Rena. I told you she was
    involved somehow, but I didn’t
    know how... Now I know. ​

VAUGHN
    What’s she going to do? ​

SISKO
    Nothing. She’s perfectly normal,
    a baker’s daughter from a small
    fishing village. But the Prophets
    sent her to me for a reason.
    (beat)
    “The Sisko is linear,” they said.
    “But there are many lines.” ​

VAUGHN
    Many lines... alternate universes,
    like with the Orb of Souls. ​

SISKO
    Yes. And Rena is here to remind
    me of one in particular. ​

FLASHBACK – 4x03 “THE VISITOR”

Older Jake introduces his wife to his father...

ADULT JAKE
    This is Korena... my wife.​

BACK TO SCENE

Sisko thinks back...

SISKO
    The last time the wormhole went
    through a subspace inversion...
    Jake and I were out here to see
    it up close. We didn’t anticipate
    the effect it would have on the
    warp core...​

FLASHBACK – 4x03 “THE VISITOR”

In Defiant’s engineering, Sisko is desperately attaching the interphasic compensator to the central console, when a bolt of energy leaps from the warp core and hits Sisko. The bolt travels along the device and touches Jake, throwing him back. Sisko flickers out of view...

JAKE
    No!​

BACK TO SCENE

Sisko continues his tale. Vaughn listens.

SISKO
    I ended up in some kind of
    subspace pocket, where time
    didn’t move... But Jake lived
    his whole life without me.
    Rena was his wife there too.
    And that’s why she’s here
    now – to remind me. ​

VAUGHN
    (realising)
    You’re going to do it again...​

SISKO
    I have to. That’s the cost. To
    stop the Ascendants... I have
    to go back to the Prophets. ​

VAUGHN
    You’re planning on abandoning
    your family. Again. ​

Sisko gets up from the chair, heartbroken and desperate.

SISKO
    Don’t make it sound like I want
    to do it! I have to! To save
    the Eav’oq, to save Bajor...
    (crying)
    ...I have to. That’s what I’ve
    been doing...
    (re computer)
    ...trying to say goodbye to
    everyone. I can’t even think
    of what to say. Of anything
    that’ll make this right...​

Vaughn is quietly listening to all this. No reaction.

SISKO
    Well? Aren’t you going to yell
    at me, tell me what an idiot I
    am being, for doing whatever
    the Prophets want? ​

VAUGHN
    No. I told you I’m not here
    to fight. I meant it. You’re
    certain there’s no other way? ​

SISKO
    Not that I can see. Although...
    maybe... Jake did eventually
    figure out a way to bring me
    back... we were connected...
    maybe you could be that
    connection for me this time. ​

Sisko is suddenly overcome with new hope, pleading...

SISKO
    You said we had a connection...
    maybe this is it. If you come
    with me to Engineering, be my
    connection... please, Elias...​

Vaughn thinks it over. Takes a deep breath, straightens himself. Sisko blooms with hope as he thinks Vaughn is about to agree...

Then Vaughn hauls off and PUNCHES Sisko hard in the head. Sisko tumbles to the deck, caught off guard. He’s stunned, confused, groggy from the attack... he looks up at Vaughn.

SISKO’S POV

From his place on the deck, Sisko sees Vaughn looming over him. The older man steps closer, crouches down over his chest, pinning Sisko down, draws back his fist...

...and PUNCHES him again.

BLACK OUT:

END OF ACT THREE

6. DS9Continuing

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

77 INT. DEFIANT – ENGINEERING

The door opens and Vaughn strides in, calls out loud.

VAUGHN
    Evacuate this room. Everyone
    out, right now. ​

This catches Nog off guard. His junior engineers look at him, confused...

NOG
    Commander? What’s going on? ​

VAUGHN
    No time to explain, Lieutenant.
    I want this room empty, now.
    That’s an order. Everyone out! ​

Nog is still confused, but orders are orders.

NOG
    You heard the man. Everyone out. ​

The junior officers and extras begin to do as they’re told.

VAUGHN
    Nog, you report to the bridge.
    Everything you need is there.
    I’ll handle things here. ​

NOG
    But Commander...​

VAUGHN
    Dismissed, Lieutenant. ​

Vaughn is clearly not open to discussion. Nog can only turn and leave. Vaughn goes to the central console.

VAUGHN
    Vaughn to bridge. ​

78 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

Dax in command, Bowers and Bashir at their stations, Aleco at helm, and Prynn, Jake and Rena staying out of the way...

DAX
    Go ahead, Commander. ​

VAUGHN (comm)
    Set it off, Dax. ​

DAX
    Where’s Sisko? ​

VAUGHN (comm)
    Occupied. Follow your orders,
    Commander. Vaughn out. ​

Dax blinks a little at the brusque tone. But again, orders are orders. She turns to her crew.

DAX
    Okay. Bowers, keep the cloak up.
    Aleco, slow reverse. Just enough
    to trigger the event horizon. ​

ALECO
    Aye, Commander. ​

Aleco works the helm panels...

79 EXT. SPACE

A few moments of silence, and then the wormhole BURSTS into life. The normal, calm and beautiful blue-and-gold version.

80 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #4

Ascendant #6 (the one who killed Vannis and Rekan’ganar) looks up in shock and amazement as her ship reacts around her. All the silver panels around her CONVULSE gently, flowing and pulsing.

The ambient colour shifts to a blue-and-gold pattern that matches the wormhole. The various coloured patches shift to resemble mouths, singing the same wordless choral chant we’ve heard the Eav’oq sing...

81 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira facing Iliana, Taran’atar holding Raiq. Holographic Iliana looks up, seeing something on her own ship that the rest of them can’t see. Half relieved, half daunted.

ILIANA
    It’s starting...​

Kira flips her eye-screen back down, eyes wide...

KIRA
    The wormhole...​

Raiq can seem to just feel it, and is overcome...

RAIQ
    It is the Fortress. Iliana, we
    have found it. We must go. The
    True are calling to us...​

KIRA
    But it’ll kill you...​

ILIANA
    You still don’t get it, do you,
    Nerys? This is what they want. ​

RAIQ
    (prayer)
    When we find the Fortress, we
    will be judged, and we will
    burn in Their Eyes. ​

ILIANA
    You hear that? They will burn.
    They know that. It’s exactly
    what they’ve been hoping for
    all this time. And it was my
    job... to give it to them. ​

KIRA
    That’s the Prophets’ plan...​

ILIANA
    Yes. To finish the Ascendants
    once and for all. ​

This is too much for Kira to understand. That the Prophets could deliberately lead an entire species to their deaths...

KIRA
    But...​

ILIANA
    Let them burn, Nerys. ​

Iliana looks over to Raiq, almost pitying...

ILIANA (cont)
    But not her. She’s the Hand of
    the True, the one who leads the
    people, just like you, and like
    Garak. That’s your job. Promise
    me you’ll keep her safe, Nerys. ​

KIRA
    ...I promise. What about you? ​

ILIANA
    I have to go... to the wormhole.
    That’s the Emissary’s job. To
    sacrifice themselves for their
    people. Goodbye, Nerys. ​

And Iliana disappears in a burst of flame.

RAIQ
    No! Mistress, don’t leave me...​

82 EXT. SPACE

The battle zone. One by one, all the Ascendant ships have been breaking off their attacks and turning away.

In front of Kira’s Jem’Hadar ship, the last one breaks and turns to follow its compatriots.

83 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #1

Surrounded by blue-and-gold hues, Iliana pilots the ship alone. She’s almost tearful with regret, and yet relieved, and full of the strength of her purpose.

84 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

Still under cloak. Bowers reads his panels, turns to Dax with a lump in his throat.

BOWERS
    Here they come. ​

DAX
    On screen and magnify. ​

The image shifts, showing thousands of the tiny Ascendant ships all on course right for them. Everyone gulps...

85 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

As Raiq struggles against Taran’atar, Kira is figuring it all out in her head...

KIRA
    Sacrifice. The Emissary’s job.
    (gasp)
    Ben...​

She turns to Raiq and Taran’atar...

KIRA
    Let her go. We need to follow
    that ship. Now! ​

86 EXT. SPACE

Kira’s Jem’Hadar ship pulls away and zooms off towards the wormhole, leaving a graveyard of destroyed Ascendant and Jem’Hadar ships behind...

Then we’re with the Ascendant fleet, the big blue flower of the wormhole a beacon for them as they rush towards it. Nothing else matters to them anymore.

87 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

On the screen, the Ascendants get closer and closer.

Behind them, the door opens and Nog enters. Dax turns...

DAX
    Nog? What are you doing here? ​

NOG
    Vaughn threw everyone out of
    engineering. No idea why. ​

JAKE
    What about my dad? ​

NOG
    I haven’t seen him. It’s just
    Commander Vaughn down there. ​

Something about this strikes something in Jake’s memory. Prynn sees the look on his face, knows something’s wrong...

PRYNN
    Jake? What is it? ​

Jake is thunderstruck, horrified. He turns and runs for the door. Prynn and Rena run after him...

88 INT. DEFIANT – CORRIDOR

The others catch up as Jake pelts down the corridor...

PRYNN
    Jake! What? Is it my dad?​

JAKE
    The subspace inversion. My dad
    told me what happened the last
    time. I should have remembered.
    And I think your dad’s about
    to do the same thing...​

89 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira is urging the ship to go faster through sheer will...

KIRA
    Kira to Defiant! ​

No answer. She turns to Taran’atar, who is working panels.

TARAN’ATAR
    Defiant’s communications array
    is non-functional, Captain. ​

90 INT. DEFIANT – ENGINEERING

Vaughn alone at the central console.

VAUGHN
    Engineering to bridge. ​

DAX (comm)
    Dax here. ​

VAUGHN
    You know what to do. The moment
    they’re on top of us, do it.
    No hesitation. Is that clear? ​

DAX (comm)
    It’s clear, Commander. ​

VAUGHN
    Vaughn out. ​

91 EXT. SPACE

All of the Ascendant ships coming, coming...

92 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #4

Ascendant #6 smiles, blissful and content, the very purpose of her life about to be fulfilled...

93 DAX

...in the command chair of the Defiant, on edge, waiting...

94 KIRA

...on the Jem’Hadar ship, racing to get back...

95 VAUGHN

...in engineering, awaiting his fate with calm surety...

96 PRYNN

...running down the Defiant’s corridor as fast as she can, having overtaken Jake and Rena...

97 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #4

Ascendant #6 looks out through the transparent canopy at the wondrous sight of the wormhole. The vessel around her is thrumming with energy. She’s right on top of it...

...and then she’s entering the wormhole. The ships of her brothers and sisters doing likewise around her.

ASCENDANT #6
    Blessed True, Unnameable Ones...
    Accept us into your Fortress
    and let us burn in Your Eyes.
    Let us... ascend. ​

98 DAX

...looks down at the panel beneath her fingers. And she presses the big flashing red icon there.

99 SUBSPACE RELAY

...last seen 10x13, suddenly comes to life, powering up and reconfiguring itself. It turns, aims... and FIRES a small, innocuous beam from its antenna.

100 THE WORMHOLE

The beam hits the wormhole dead centre, passing right by the Ascendant ships. Nothing much happens for a second...

...and then the wormhole ERUPTS. Just as we saw at the top of the ep - erratic, violent, burning with power.

101 INT. ASCENDANT VESSEL #4

The pulsing systems of the ship react violently, like we saw the Wa react. It bucks, spasms, and then just BURSTS.

102 THE WORMHOLE

Right in the mouth of the wormhole where it opens to normal space. The wormhole BURNS around us, and all the Ascendant ships, one by one, are WRENCHING themselves apart.

Canopies bursting, chassis warping and breaking, Ascendant bodies aflame or thrown out into open space before being consumed by the fires of the wormhole.

103 INT. DEFIANT – CORRIDOR

Jake HAMMERS on the door to engineering. The ship SHUDDERS around them with the force of the wormhole’s eruption. Prynn is wrist-deep in a panel of wires and circuits, desperately trying to get the door open...

PRYNN
    I’m coming, dad. Just hold on...​

104 INT. DEFIANT – ENGINEERING

Vaughn hears the THUMPS on the door, but he doesn’t answer. He looks around – the warp core is starting to react. Great arcs of power SPARK across the room.

105 INT. DEFIANT – MAIN BRIDGE

Everyone solemnly watches the screen, as the Ascendant ships explode and burn all around them...

106 INT. JEM’HADAR SHIP #1

Kira is gazing equally horror-struck at what she sees in her eye-screen. Behind her, Raiq is feeling what’s going on. She SHRIEKS, and both hands burst into flame, and she FIRES beams of actual flame at two of the Jem’Hadar crew.

RAIQ
    Nooooo! Let me go! Let me go!
    I want to be with them! ​

PUNCH. Taran’atar knocks the poor, hysterical Ascendant woman unconscious with one blow. She crumples to the floor. Kira looks down at her, her own emotions churning...

107 INT. DEFIANT – CORRIDOR

Prynn is now openly crying as she does everything she can think of to get the door open. But every one of her tricks only results in another negative BZZZT from the computer. Jake and Rena stay out of her way...

PRYNN
    (hysterical)
    No! Dad! Please... let me in...
    Dad please...​

108 INT. DEFIANT – ENGINEERING

Vaughn fixes the interphasic compensator into its place in the central console. Then he stands tall, eyes closed, ready for what’s coming. The ship is shuddering around him, the arcs of power getting bigger and stronger...

...and then the big one finally hits. It SNAPS at Vaughn like a whip, catching him in its power...

...and he begins to flicker in and out of view, fading away, glowing white as the power crackles around him.

109 INT. DEFIANT – CORRIDOR

Prynn hears the CRACK of the whip through the door. She knows what it means. She SCREAMS with rage and sorrow...

110 VAUGHN

...fades from view, completely gone...

111 DAX

...lifts her finger off the firing control.

112 SUBSPACE RELAY

...stops firing...

113 THE WORMHOLE

...closes up, leaving trails of energy...

114 PRYNN

...collapses to the floor, screaming and shrieking and wailing with pain and anguish. Jake and Rena can only try their best to hold her.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT FOUR

7. DS9Continuing

ACT FIVE

FADE IN:

115 INT. DS9 – WARD ROOM

Beginning on Kira, as she sits at one side of the table. In full uniform, holding herself tight and reined in.

AKAAR (o.s.)
    Then it is your belief, Captain,
    that Commander Vaughn sacrificed
    himself in the course of his
    duties as a Starfleet officer. ​

KIRA
    It is, Admiral. ​

REVEAL that Akaar, Ross and Batanides are across the table from her, as they have been for everyone else. The three of them are no happier about this than anyone, but it’s their job to get to the bottom of things.

ROSS
    Based upon our interviews with
    your senior staff, and upon the
    visual records from Defiant’s
    main engineering... I agree.
    Commander’s Vaughn’s actions
    were entirely voluntary, and
    selflessly taken to help end
    the Ascendant threat. ​

AKAAR
    If that threat can be said to
    have been ended at all. This
    woman, Raiq, remains. Your own
    reports, Captain, indicate that
    one Ascendant is quite capable
    of being a substantial threat
    on her own. ​

KIRA
    I take personal responsibility
    for Raiq, Admiral. ​

ROSS
    Very well. But the fact remains
    that this entire mission was not
    authorized by Starfleet Command.
    In fact, it constitutes illegal
    seizure of Starfleet property in
    the form of the Defiant, illegal
    diplomatic activity in the form
    of a military alliance with the
    Dominion. Your actions may even
    result in charges of genocide
    against a government that was
    not at war with the Federation. ​

Kira is not about to take that. But she stays tight, under control. There’s no point making this worse than it is.

KIRA
    How could it possibly have been
    an authorized mission? I asked
    for your help repeatedly, and
    you refused. You left me with
    no choice. I had to turn to
    the Dominion. ​

AKAAR
    You could have chosen not to
    get involved in a situation
    that was none of your business. ​

KIRA
    If you believe that, Admiral,
    then you really don’t know me.
    And you don’t know Bajor. ​

BATANIDES
    This is academic. The facts of
    the matter are clear, and there
    must be consequences. As the
    senior active Starfleet officer
    in the Bajoran sector, all the
    actions taken by the crew of
    the Defiant fall upon you. ​

KIRA
    Let me save you the trouble. ​

Kira stands, rests her hands on the table.

KIRA
    I once threatened to pull Bajor
    out of the Federation. I was
    wrong to do that. Even though I
    believe the Federation wilfully
    ignored issues that speak to the
    very core of Bajoran identity,
    and placed an entire innocent
    people at risk by refusing to
    help... I know that Bajor needs
    the Federation. So I won’t make
    that same threat again. ​

She pauses, making sure she’s got everyone’s attention.

KIRA
    But I can still protest the
    Federation’s actions myself...
    by doing this. ​

She reaches up and unfastens the captain’s pips from her uniform collar, and places them into the table. She takes off her combadge and places it next to them.

The three admirals look down at the objects on the table, and then back up at Kira. Astonished.

BATANIDES
    Captain, please... consider what
    you’re doing. Don’t be hasty. ​

KIRA
    Hasty?! You really haven’t been
    paying attention, have you? This
    is what Bajor is. We fight for
    what we believe in. We sacrifice
    for what we believe is right.
    (beat)
    My resignation will be logged
    within the hour. ​

She stands up straight, and without leave, turns and exits the room. The admirals try to pick up their jaws.

116 INT. DS9 – KIRA’S OFFICE

Kira is stripped down to the undershirt of her uniform, moving around the room, packing things up. She takes her large book of prophecies off the shelves, places it into a crate on her desk. Under this:

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    Nerys... if I may call you that.
    I hope you know that my respect
    for you is... enormous. These
    three years as your exec have
    been some of the happiest of
    my life, and your friendship
    has been a large part of that. ​

Kira now sits at the desk, watching this recorded message from Vaughn on the small desk-mounted screen.

VAUGHN (screen)
    I also want to take this chance
    to thank you for all your help.
    It was invaluable. And I hope
    that the step I’m about to take
    will help you in equal measure.
    Be safe, Nerys. ​

Kira places the lid on the crate, hefts it up. She turns and carries it out of the office, out into Ops.

117 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Kira walks down the steps, carrying her crate. Ro stands at the centre table, with Shar, Nog, Bashir, Bowers and Cenn at their stations. She looks around at them all. They look back at her. No more to say. With a sad and final nod, she climbs the stairs back up to the turbolift.

118 INT. DS9 – TARAN’ATAR’S QUARTERS

Taran’atar is likewise tidying things up in his room. Ro stands to one side...

RO
    What are you going to do now? ​

Taran’atar stops, genuinely considers the question.

TARAN’ATAR
    I have entered a new state of
    being. It will take some time
    to determine what that means. ​

RO
    But you are returning to the
    Gamma Quadrant. ​

TARAN’ATAR
    I am. The Ascendant conflict
    cannot solve all the Dominion’s
    problems, after all. Vannis’s
    next clone will take my place
    as Ambassador to Bajor. ​

RO
    I can’t believe I’m saying this,
    but I’m going to miss you. ​

Taran’atar draws himself up straight. He’s not the smiling type, but he feels... content.

TARAN’ATAR
    I wish you success in your
    future endeavours, Lieutenant. ​

RO
    And you in yours. ​

They’re good with each other. Ro turns to leave.

119 EXT. EAV’OQ CITY - DAY

OPAKA sits on one of the low stone walls, looking out over the peaceful Eav’oq city. Sun, streams, meadows, gleaming marble. It’s all safe now.

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    Sulan, you’ve been a force for
    peace and love all your life.
    And though you may not know
    it, the thought of your gentle,
    open face has given me that
    peace more times than I can
    count since we first met. It
    would have been nice to grow
    old in your company.
    (chuckle)
    Well, even older. ​

Opaka smiles to herself as she remembers the moments with Vaughn. She picks up a Starfleet padd off the wall next to her, hops down onto her feet and turns to walk back towards the temple. She’ll miss him, but he died for a good cause, and he's with the Prophets now.

120 INT. DS9 – KIRA’S QUARTERS

Kira enters, carrying her crate. She places it down on a side table, and turns to the window. Raiq stands there.

KIRA
    How are you feeling? ​

RAIQ
    Alone. How else would I feel?
    I am the only Knight alive
    not to enter the Fortress. ​

KIRA
    It would have killed you. ​

RAIQ
    It is my birthright! ​

KIRA
    There might be other Ascendants
    still out there somewhere. Maybe
    Iliana didn’t find them all. ​

RAIQ
    I see the lies on your face.
    You are like her. ​

Kira sees that it’s going to be difficult to make any kind of connection with this woman. But she has to try.

KIRA
    I’m going home. To Bajor. And I
    think you should come with me. ​

RAIQ
    Why? ​

KIRA
    I’m responsible for exterminating
    an entire race who believed in
    the same gods I do. I need to
    spend some time making sense of
    that. And I think it would be
    good for you to see... that maybe
    we’re not so different after all. ​

RAIQ
    You are a heretic. You shame
    the True. ​

KIRA
    Maybe I do. But look at it this
    way. A Bajoran went to the Eav’oq.
    An Eav’oq went to Cardassia. A
    Cardassian went to the Ascendants.
    Now you can complete the circle.
    All four races can learn about
    each other... in peace. ​

Raiq seems halfway to being convinced. But doctrine is strict. Kira holds her hand out to her...

KIRA
    Come with me, Raiq. Take my hand. ​

Uncertain, but feeling very alone... Raiq takes the hand.

121 INT. SISKO’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM

KASIDY sits in the rocking chair, slowly rocking back and forth with Rebecca in her lap. She’s taking comfort in the simple repetitive actions of feeding the child.

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    Captain. I must apologise again
    for striking a superior officer.
    But I could see how much it was
    breaking your heart to leave
    your family. I couldn’t allow
    that. So I’ve taken your place. ​

Kasidy looks up from Rebecca... at Sisko, sitting on the couch, far across the room. He had planned to leave them. He wasn’t allowed to... and now he has to face her. What can he possibly say, now that she knows?

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    You have many decades left to
    spend with your family now. My
    sacrifice is a much smaller one
    than yours would have been.
    Do not make it a vain one. ​

122 INT. DS9 – DOCKING RING CORRIDOR

Bashir runs along the corridor, urgently. He reaches an airlock where people are filing steadily onto a transport ship. Among them is Dax, travelling bag on her shoulder.

BASHIR
    Dax! I just heard... are you
    really leaving again? ​

Dax turns to him. Half smile, half wince.

DAX
    Yes, Julian. I’m leaving. ​

BASHIR
    And you really weren’t going to
    say goodbye? ​

DAX
    Actually, I was just standing
    here thinking what a rotten
    thing that is to do to everyone.
    But nothing’s changed, Julian. I
    still don’t belong here anymore. ​

BASHIR
    So where are you going? ​

DAX
    Back to Trill. Gard invited me
    to help out with the symbiont
    repopulation efforts. It’s only
    a temporary assignment, until
    a new command position comes up
    somewhere. And I’m also taking
    Doctor Tarses with me. So
    you’ve got your sickbay back. ​

BASHIR
    Thanks... I suppose. ​

It’s always going to be awkward. So it’s best to just get it over with. She stretches up and gives Bashir a quick, chaste peck on the cheek.

DAX
    Bye, Julian. ​

And then she turns and enters the airlock.

123 INT. DS9 – VAUGHN’S QUARTERS

Admiral Akaar walks through his old friend’s quarters. He sees the guitar on its stand, the spare uniform hanging against the wall. He picks up the picture of Ruriko.

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    Prynn, my sweet, beautiful baby
    girl. I am more grateful than I
    can say that we got this chance
    to get to know each other again.
    Please never doubt that I love
    you. My only regret is that I
    won’t get to see you blossom
    into the powerful, unstoppable
    woman I know you will be. ​

124 INT. DS9 – PRYNN’S QUARTERS

Prynn is on the couch, weeping her poor, broken heart out as she lies across Shar’s lap. He’s been where she is now, and knows that she just needs someone to cry with.

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    People may tell you there are
    ways to rescue me, to bring me
    back. Promise me you won’t try.
    If you reverse what I’m about
    to do, it might somehow bring
    back the Ascendants. And that’s
    a risk we can’t take. So don’t
    waste your life pining for me.
    You have your own life, and
    that’s more important. ​

Sniffling, Prynn drags herself up out of Shar’s arms, sits beside him more normally on the couch. He looks at her, hating what he is about to tell her...

SHAR
    Prynn... while you were away,
    I received a call. From home,
    on Andor. ​

Prynn senses the bad news coming...

PRYNN
    What did it say? ​

SHAR
    Thia is ready to give birth.
    I have to leave. My child is
    about to be born, Prynn. ​

On top of everything else, now this. How the hell is she supposed to process this?

125 INT. DS9 – SECURITY OFFICE

Ro stands in the office, as the door from the cells opens. RICHTER emerges, leading ETANA by the hand. Etana is nervous to see her friend, former boss, victim.

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    Lieutenant Ro. Everything I’ve
    ever said about you is true. I
    do believe in you. I do believe
    you’re capable of so much more
    than you think you are. ​

Ro and Etana face each other. After a moment’s tension, Ro pulls her into a strong, forgiving hug.

126 INT. DS9 – MAIN OPS CENTRE

Ro stands at the top of the stairs, outside the commander’s office. Cenn, Bashir, Nog, Bowers and extras are there, going about their business.

VAUGHN (v.o.)
    If you’ve had a hard life, then
    make it better. If you believe
    you’re some kind of bad person,
    then be someone better. You
    have it in your power to make
    a change, Lieutenant. Do so. ​

The turbolift rises, carrying Admiral Batanides. She walks over to Ro, and the two of them enter...

127 INT. DS9 – KIRA’S OFFICE

They stand in front of the now-vacated desk...

BATANIDES
    With Captain Kira’s resignation,
    Captain Sisko’s continued leave,
    Commander Dax’s transfer and
    Commander Vaughn’s...
    (beat)
    ...loss in action, the chain of
    command now falls to you.​

Batanides holds up an extra command pip, reaches up to Ro’s collar, and gently fastens it into place. Ro’s eyes flare with amazement...

BATANIDES
    Congratulations, Commander Ro
    Laren. Deep Space Nine and the
    Defiant are now yours.
    (pointed)
    And you and I have a lot to
    talk about. ​

Ro tenses all over again as she realizes... she’s talking about the anti-Section 31 group. The admiral holds out her hand. Ro gulps. A lot of heavy responsibility coming her way all at once. But with a deep breath, Ro decides she can handle it. She takes Batanides’ hand firmly, and shakes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. DS9Continuing

Act Five continued:

128 INT. ASHALLA MONASTERY PRAYER ROOM

Kira opens the door onto the prayer room and quietly, reverently enters. She holds the door open... and Raiq tentatively follows her in. The Ascendant woman is wary, still not sure what to make of all this.

Kira leads Raiq further into the room, towards the plinth in the centre, with its Orb box sat upon it. Raiq doesn’t recognize the object...

...but once Kira opens the box’s doors, she sure as hell recognises the object inside. An Orb, spinning gently, glowing with light. Raiq is overcome with awe, amazement, disbelief that she is actually seeing what she’s seeing.

She stands in front of the Orb, transfixed. Kira quietly removes herself from the room, leaving Raiq alone. After
    a moment, the Orb begins to glow brighter, and its light swirls out, filling the room with power.

WHITE OUT

Slowly the fog fades, until...

129 VAUGHN

...standing alone in the white space. He’s calm, a little sad but accepting. He looks around himself, at the utter blankness. This is where he’s going to be spending the rest of eternity.

Gradually, his pulsing HEARTBEAT is joined by a second. He frowns, confused. He turns to look...

...and Iliana stands before him. The human man and the Cardassian woman look at each other, surprised, as if to say, “What? I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

BLACK OUT:

END OF SHOW

9. Wally

Wally Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wonderful!

Despite the year-long buildup, it still felt a little sudden and pat for how the Ascendant Arc ended. But otherwise, I think it was handled exceptionally well. This really felt like a season finale and and I can't wait to see how everything will be set up for the next season.

Kira's decision (and I'm glad it was hers, rather than forced on her) was completely in character and felt completely inevitable given the events of the last few episodes.

I must admit on being surprised about Vaughn being sucked into the wormhole. It was a wonderful arc showing him forgiving and coming to terms with Ben Sisko. Just surprising since I was ready for the finale to show Captain Vaughn take over the station. But there are good things in being surprised. :)

And finally...finally..Dax is leaving, and so is Tarses. I like his character, but after last episode he was thrust into an uncomfortable place and it totally made sense to advance his career that he would transfer.

Once again, good job. I'll be interested to see what happens when Vaughn inevetiably returns and (I would assume) commands the station for a short time. That can cause some friction.

10. DS9Continuing

Thank god! I've been dying to record my "commentary track" for this episode but I didn't want to be the first to talk!

I kinda get what you mean. It's a fairly straightforward story plot-wise - the plan after all does work - but at the same time this plot has been bubbling under since the end of season 8 (Rising Son) so I'm not sure how much longer it could really have been dragged out. So yes, the conflict is over. But I think the more important part is the effect is has on the characters.

I don't currently have any plans to write "season 11", and I'm actively trying to stop my brain from coming up with ideas for it. I feel like I should concentrate on something I can actually get paid for next! But I've included a few of the thoughts I already have below.

That's one of the things I definitely had to build up to because of what was retro-established in the Typhon Pact books. It seemed like an outrageous departure for the Kira character in the light of a three year jump, but tying all the threads together you can see how it does make sense.

As someone else commented on one of the earlier stories, you can see how Kira is becoming less and less satisfied with life as a Starfleet captain. Her "Bajoran-ness" still is and always will be a greater influence on her than Starfleet, and the storylines of this season showed her coming into conflict with them over and over again. Starfleet's refusal to get involved in the Ascendant situation makes sense from their point of view, but Kira's upset over that makes sense from her point of view (especially since it kind of parallels the original Bajor-Cardassia-Federation situation from the original Occupation).

And on top of that, to find out not only that the Prophets always intended for the one of their own "child races" to die in this way, and that she herself was the instrument of that, given what Bajor itself went through, and then Cardassia... well, you can see how it would shake her to the core. So she needs to go and find answers and figure out how it all makes sense. How would she do that? She would turn to her gods.

Vaughn taking Sisko's place seems like a last-minute twist, but if you look back, I actually set it up very subtly a couple of times in earlier episodes.

This one is really really subtle, but... in episode 5, "Deep Down," Bashir's first dream includes an image of Sisko glowing white and disappearing. That represents his going to the Prophets. In episode 12, "Heresy," Kira's dream/vision includes the exact same image applied to Vaughn - he glows white and disappears. That means he's going to the Prophets as well.

It all goes back to Warpath, and Kira's big vision of Ancient Bajor there. During the battle with the Ascendants there, there's a moment where Kira falls, and Vaughn steps into the Ascendants' path to protect her while Sisko helps her up. That inspired both the moment in "Heresy" where Kira's runabout is destroyed and she drifts in space, after which Vaughn uses the Defiant to block the Ascendants while Sisko resuces her in the Rio Grande, and this episode, where Vaughn chooses to sacrifice himself to save both Kira and Sisko.

There's also this underlying sense we've had that Vaughn has been kind of a back-up Emissary. Ever since Avatar some readers have noted that Sisko and Vaughn's character backstories were very similar, even if their actual personalities weren't. They both lost their spouses to the Borg, both had to raise their child alone, both drifted aimless and unsatisfied for a while, both came to Bajor and encountered an Orb, both found a new lease on life there. That sense has been bubbling under for a while, and culminated in The Soul Key, where it seemed for a while that Vaughn was going to take over MU-Sisko's role as MU-Emissary. That wasn't to be because of the Iliana twist, but that still left Vaughn's kinda-sorta-Emissary-ness unresolved. Here it is resolved at last - it was the Emissary's job to sacrifice themselves and go back to the wormhole for the plan to stop the Ascendants to work. And Vaughn took Sisko's place in the plan, thus satisfying his pseudo-Emissary position.

And saving Sisko and Kira isn't his only motivation. His doubts over what he was forced to do in the Section 31 storyline led him to realise he was just as guilty as Sisko, and maybe that he deserved to be punished for that. That led him to the Orb of Souls, where his vision told him he was literally the last Vaughn left in creation. He himself had made sure of that by killing MU-Vaughn.

So who better to sacrifice themselves than him? Better this increasingly old and obsolete man than the comparatively young and vibrant Sisko, who has a wife and child. So he repeats the action that started the whole feud between them in the first place - punching Sisko - thereby symbolically bringing it full circle and taking his place in the plan. I'm sure Vaughn would much rather go out in a blaze of glory like this than continue to deteriorate until he's useless (made retroactively ironic by what happens to him in Typhon Pact).

You're right that Dax has been kind of hanging around, at a loose end the whole season. That's a function of the fact that we know she does transfer, she's told us she's going to transfer, but we know she doesn't end up on the Aventine for about another year, so what does she do in the meantime? And she knows it - after the Luna went south, she's been kind of twiddling her thumbs, trying to figure out what to do next.

And again, there was more to her motivations than I was able to get into in the space I had. There's the fact that she doesn't really have a place on DS9 anymore, yes. But there's also the complicated relationship with Bashir that's kind of driving her away. They argued when she left for the Luna. She comes back, and they argue again, because it's just at the time when Bashir has to be deliberately contrary and driving her away because of the Section 31 mission. Then he leaves. Then she gets caught up as a victim in his mission - that she only learned about after the fact - and put in mortal danger, only saved at the last minute. Intellectually she knows it's not his fault, but it can't help but add even more complications to their already strained relationship. So it's best to just cut the cord and make a fresh start.

Taking Tarses with her solves the problem of having two senior CMOs that was created by Bashir's Section 31 mission, and it allows Dax and Tarses to bond a bit, explaining why she would request him to transfer as CMO when she took over command of the Aventine. I had hoped to give them a bit more time together in "I Will Survive" as they deal with the Odan-Gard problem together, but alas I didn't have space for that, so this will have to do.

There are so many other things that I had wanted to include in this season finale that I just didn't have time for. A ton of material that I would definitely include were I writing this as a novel with no tight space constraints.

* I had much more for the Even Odds to do. My plan had been for the Even Odds to stick around after the battle - either because Kira needed to use the Wa to talk to Iliana, or because Glessin had specifically requested to stay so that he could watch the Ascendants die - and that would result in the ship being too close when the Wormhole did its thing, resulting in the Wa reacting in spectacular fashion, severely crippling the ship and killing the Wa once and for all (so that there would be no Ascendant technology left to cause any trouble). I had planned this without knowing in advance that Plagues of Night established some kind of big disaster for the Even Odds - it was pure coincidence. Now that I do know, it makes me wish I'd been able to keep that aspect in all the more.

* Likewise to do with the Even Odds, I wanted to spend more time explaining Pif's decision to stay behind. Now he has a family, the dangerous lifestyle of the fortune hunter is too much for him - he's been injured and attacked and scared over and over this season. So he decides to leave the ship and set up home on DS9, at least for the time being. It would lead to great material with Quark, since he's creeped out by furry things. And I so imagine one of the puppies becoming absolutely fascinated with Quark and following him everywhere he goes, much to Quark's dismay.

* I had more for Yevir as well. After the Yevir-Opaka-Solis scene in part 1, they all kind of drop off the radar and are never seen again. I wanted to come back to Yevir right at the end, where Kira goes to the monastery. He would be there to greet her, and would specifically humble himself before her, since she is clearly so important to the Prophets that they would choose her for this important role. Ironic of course given that he threw her out of the church to start with, and now he's wanting to learn from her and be her student. Also it would be an uncomfortable meeting because of Kira's own trouble handling what she just did, and she doesn't like Yevir to start with.

* I realised as I was writing that I had no big role for Taran'atar to play in the events. He's there at Kira's side as her First... but that's kind of it. I would have liked something that finally brought his understanding of his own freedom and individuality to a conclusion, after what happened to him with L'Haan. But I haven't managed to figure out exactly what that role would have been, given everything else that was going on. Glorious death fighting the Ascendants? Seems a bit obvious. I welcome ideas.

As I said, I don't have any current plans to write Season 11. But if I were, I would think...

* The opening arc would be about getting Vaughn back. I wrote this knowing full well that he's still around in Typhon Pact, so something would have to be done to rescue him. I don't know what that would be. Note that I specifically brought up the way in which Sisko was rescued last time - his link with Jake - and then specifically removed that possibility by having Vaughn alone in Engineering. Also that I had him make Prynn promise not to try to rescue him, for her own sake and for everyone's. Obviously she would disobey that, but what would be the plan exactly? No idea.

* As you say, on his eventual return he would take back over as Commander of the station, which would cause friction with Ro now that she's finally comfortable enough to handle command. He would realise he's standing in her way and decide to move on.

* Dax, Shar and Taran'atar are now completely off the table. Who would be the new senior staff? I nominate Bowers as first officer of the Defiant (it's about time he got a promotion, and going from XO of the tiny Defiant to XO of the massive Aventine would still be a further promotion), Cenn as first officer of the station (thus replicating the situation as it was back in Season 1 - a Starfleet commander with a Bajoran Militia Liaison who she doesn't especially like as XO - just with the genders reversed), Bashir and Nog stay where they are obviously (until Nog transfers to the Challenger), maybe promote T'rb to Sciences (the science position has never been prominent anyway). That leaves Security, and there I'm not sure. Maybe Etana could transfer back over from medical, again replicating season 1 by having a Bajoran Militia officer in security. I understand it's a brand new character in Plagues? And as for the "alien perspective" character, well now we've got both Pif and Raiq to serve that purpose.

* And the season-ending arc would be the Rebecca-kidnapped-by-an-Ohalavaru story, which would also include removing Solis as Kai since he's not in that position in Typhon Pact. Maybe he resigns in shame that one of his followers could do such a thing.

Did I mention I think too much? :)

11. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hopefully you will continue the series for alittle bit longer, tie it to the Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn books, which were awesome. Hopefully Pocket decides to continue DS9 again since I do miss that series as a whole.

12. DS9Continuing

I've finally (!) received Plagues of Night from Waterstones and I'm about half way through it. (DO NOT spoil me past there - bastards already put spoilers in the thread titles in the Lit forum :klingon: )

It's weird - it's kind of a DS9 book, and kind of not. I was trying to figure out how to plot out everything that would have happened in between.

As I said above, season 11 would start with getting Vaughn out of the wormhole and end with Rebecca being kidnapped. Season 12 would end with Destiny, but before that, no idea.

But the Typhon Pact arc - starting all the way back with A Singular Destiny - appears to have been plotted to take two years of story time. Understandable given the type of story they're telling, but it feels strange that, after having to spread what was only one year of story time out into two for seasons 8 and 9, now there's so much space even after picking up from the Big Gap that we still don't know what happened in. We used to know everything that happened on DS9 from one day to the next. Now we're left with massive holes with no idea. Could I compress it all into one season? Probably, but that would make the big political developments feel a little rushed and unrealistic. On the other hand, the original DS9 show switched up the political situation on a bi-annual basis.

13. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I would say the lead up to Destiny (and the elements of the Vaughn/Sisko/Dax storylines from the first batch of Typhon Pact novels) would be the tail end of one season (spread over six episodes, perhaps - one with Sisko, one with Vaughn, one with Ezri showing her taking command of Aventine, then picking up her thread in the Destiny novels) then ASD would constitute the spine of one season, with the new duology and the other Typhon Pact novels being the spine of another season - to say more about the breaking points of the season would proove to be a spoiler. So I shall wait.

But that's three seasons there. If Im counting right - there's only roughly one, maybe two, more seasons space to fit in there.

14. DS9Continuing

Yeah, I was just thinking about it as I was reading further today. After Destiny (that is, into "season 13"), A Singular Destiny and Rough Beasts would be the two main threads, since they take place over several months each anyway. The end of Rough Beasts would be the end of Season 13, with Sisko's acceptance of his new place on the Robinson.

And then I think Season 14 would start with Zero Sum Game (mixed in with the bits that crossover into it from PoN), since it launches this continuing thread about the Typhon Pact trying to acquire slipstream technology. And the rest of PoN and RtD would spread out over the rest of Season 14.

I've read far enough into PoN now to see the bits that are slightly inconsistent with what I've written:
    • That Kira deciding to join the church was what inspired her to resign as captain (which I wrote as the other way around)
    • That Taran'atar made some grand final gesture (but I don't think he can be dead, since ZSG stated he was just out there in the GQ)
    • That Vaughn commanded the station before Ro (although I have a workaround for that)
    • That the Gryphon was not destroyed and Cardok is still alive (I killed them both off in 10x12 "Heresy")
    But I was right about Cenn being First Officer, and about something disastrous happening to the Even Odds. I also like that Candlewood is now Chief Science Officer (although I had him as one of Nog's engineering crew, but then people can always transfer), because I made him gay in 10x03 "Steppin' Out," so I choose to see that as another gay senior officer in the TrekLit verse :)