Developing NCC-1701's Apex Class [3D]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Starscape, May 20, 2008.

1. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I'm sure many of you will remember NCC-1701's Apex Class thread (see here). Well, I was very impressed with the look of his designs, especially this sketch:

[​IMG]

And with NCC-1701's permission I've set out to develop this idea a little further and build up a 3D model.

In NCC-1701's thread the design evolved into a more of Daedelus era ship, whereas here I want to keep more of the TOS look about the design.

I'm still in the early stages of building the 3D model. My main departure from NCC-1701's sketch is the integration of the shuttlebay "module" with the upper section of the engineering hull. Although, I do like the modular look in the sketch, I couldn't quite reconcile the off-set shuttlebay with my chosen number of deck for the ship (9 main decks).

Here's how it looks so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coming soon...

Comments and suggestions are welcome. ;)

2. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me likey!

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

:eek: Honestly, I'm speechless! It simply looks fantastic! I love how you modeled the bridge more in the style of a Constitution class ship. Also, the new secondary hull with the shuttlebay ... astonishing! It really comes all together. You even fixed something I never could get quite right in my sketches: The link between the sphere and the secondary hull. (Without 3D technology it's quite hard to imagine how a spherical object and a cigar-shaped thing come together.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to how this will develop. Good job, Starscape! :bolian:

4. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Great 3D modeling. Great job!

It's fascinating to see the Apex drawings seemingly "coming to life". I've said it before: the Daedalus concept in the TOS/pre-TOS galaxy has enormous aesthetic and dramatic potential. I would love to see a post-ENT/pre-TOS/TOS-era story featuring a ship like this.

Needs more of a "Cage"/"Where No Man Has Gone Before"-type bridge.

5. Wingsley

6. Starscape

Thanks very much guys! Glad you like it. :D

It's something I find difficult to imagine too. These days I'm a lot faster moving a design from 2D to 3D just so I can see how the all curves/shapes will intersect.

Okay, here's a try at a "Cage"-type bridge. I did it fairly roughly, with the expectation that I wouldn't like it (since it looks awful on the Enterprise), but now I see it... it's growing on me. Add in a few modifications and I might just keep it. :)

[​IMG]

Here's another small addition, the lower sensor dome:

[​IMG]

7. Wingsley

There is another possibility, if you're so inclined:

The dome-like structure on which the bridge sits could be stretched upward, so that the aft hull would blend into this sub-dome, and then the bridge would sit on top of that.

Here's another idea, unrelated: the NCC banner should run across the front slope of the sub-dome. The ship name would span the flat bench around the base of the bridge. That's just an aesthetic suggestion.

8. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Is that Sulu's new ship? :rommie:

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

You have a dirty mind. :p

@ Starscape: Personally I favor the "TOS bridge design" over the Cage one, but that's just me. Still love to look at your images. :)

10. Wingsley

I just wanted to chime in and say that Starscape's work on the Apex concept is outstanding to date. It shows that there really was something unique and interesting, and yet familial with the TOS Enterprise, to Jefferies' original concept drawings over 40 years ago.

11. Starscape

Thanks Wingsley. I haven't forgotten about this, I'm just taking a little time to rethink my approach.

When I started I didn't really have a clear idea of how certain aspects of the design would work out (specifically the size of the bridge) and it was starting to bug me. I tried to sort the size problems out by scaling the model comparing it to my Enterprise model. It didn't help much so I rebuilt the model using top three decks of the Enterprise as a guide.

Here's a comparison of the old and new apex models to scale next to the Enterprise:

[​IMG]

I'm still not happy with the new model, though. The engineering section needs to be sleeker and, perhaps, follow the lines of the Enterprise engineering hull more closely.

12. Wingsley

I like them both, and I can see them each as starship classes.

I could see your larger Apex as the "real" Scout/Destroyer class Federation starships; like FJ's Saladin/Hermes. Maybe this one could even use the same nacelles as the Enterprise, or a somewhat scaled down version of the same technology.

Your smaller Apex could be much smaller class of vessel, like the SS Beagle or perhaps the remastered Aurora.

There is a way to make the aft section flow in the spheroid nose: As I suggested in my earlier (May 22) posting, the dome-like structure on the topside of the sphere, on which the bridge sits, could be stretched upward, so that the aft hull would blend into this sub-dome, and then the bridge would sit on top of that. This would blend the top of the sphere with the aft hull.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  13. Starscape

I understand what you're getting at and it would be possible, but I'm not too keen on the idea. I might give it try to see how it looks, though. ;)

14. Starscape

I made this quick attempt a few days ago following Wingsley's suggestion:

[​IMG]

(It was easier to re-build the upper section from scratch and since this was just a test of the forward section I didn't add the hanger door details at the rear.)

Hmmm, I think I prefer the look of the thinner "dome" above the sphere section from the previous models, so I'm going to stick with that.

Also, I've started the model again, this time taking more care with the shapes and proportions. I've no images yet, but I should have something soon. :)

15. Starscape

Here are some images of my latest model of the Apex. That is, if anyone is interested - I hope so, because this one is much better. ;)

With this version of the model, I've taken a lot more visual cues from the Constitution class and settled on 14-15 decks for the ship, this means the bridge, lower sensor dome and hanger bay are the same size as those on the Enterprise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wingsley

17. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

A well rounded design. :p *runs* ;)

In all seriousness, nice little ship. :)

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

...that's very nice, I like that you've gotten the older esthetic going w/o it looking "clunky" as some of them do to my jaundiced eye... :D
    [​IMG]

19. Starscape

Thanks guys! :)

20. Starscape

And onto the nacelles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]