I have read Titan #1, #2, & #3...reading #4

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RaymondJames, Sep 12, 2008.

1. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I loved this series. 1 and 2 were graet, well written exciting an damazing. However, #3 Orion's Hounds was horrible. I didn't like the plot, the writer's style and the whole things was just so boring and went on for what seemed like an enternity compared to the thre days it took me to read 1 & 2. I just started #4 so without spoliing it, did anyone like #4?

and whats your opinions on the rest of the books?

2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, since you and I disagree on how good the other books are not sure my opinion on number 4 matters but here goes. In fact you and I disagree on #3 a LOT.

I thought 1, 3 and 4 where great. Number 2 didn't work for me as much as the other ones did.

3. RaymondJames

Well I thought 1 was beter than 2 but 3 was no wherew near as good as 2.

3 buged me because it was about freakin Star Jellies and a bird like species and Hunting species. The whole thing focused on what side to be on, if they had already taken sides and how amazing star jellies looked. Oh and about Deanna and telepaths.:rolleyes:

The few good parts were Keru and the cyborg. Vale and the Science Officer and Tuvok, however the Tuvok thing was over used.

It was too Voyager for me, I like Voyager but this was just not very action packed and it delt with species I couldn't care less about.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Taking Wing and The Red King were decent to good. Orion's Hounds was the best of the bunch by far and Sword of Damocles the worst by a very far margin.

5. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've got to say Sword of Damocles was my favourite of the series so far - though judging by some reviews I read, I'm in the minority. The story had some plot points I didn't really enjoy (I concede the author can't please everyone ;)) but overall, I felt some of the supporting characters got some well-earned time in the limelight, and you get to know some of the crew a little better. Also you get a bit more feel for everyday life aboard Titan (it has THE MOST DIVERSE CREW IN THE FLEET you know).

One of things I haven't enjoyed about the series was THE MOST DIVERSE CREW IN THE FLEET being thrown at you every couple of paragraphs. This book I think only mentions that it's THE MOST DIVERSE CREW IN THE FLEET once, and then just gets on with it. And also the fact that in the first three books, you're introduced to something like a third of the crew, without getting a feel for any of them.

Another problem I've had is I don't feel I can really connect with some of the more "alien" characters - could be down to my limited imagination, but I much more enjoy the interactions say between the Brikar science officer and Dakal. One exception to that is I actually like Doctor Ree (though I admit I've kinda imagined him as Rex from Toy Story).

If the rest of the series carries on in the spirit of Sword of Damocles, maybe with a bit more action, or focusing on a core group of characters again, then the series will continue to be strong for a long time.

Hope you enjoy Sword of Damocles ;)

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've enjoyed all the Titan books, and consider Orion's Hounds the best of the bunch, so you might also want to take my advice in that context. That said, if your problem with Book 3 was a lack of action (and I can't imagine why, given the awesome scenes like the crystaline entities' attack on the refugee station), then you'll probably enjoy Book 4 more, as it is more action-oriented and has a much more clipped pace. Once you get past the first few chapters, shit hits the fan and the hits keep coming.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Orion's Hounds is by far the best of the series so far. In fact I will go so far as to say that it was the best Trek book of the year.

Book one was very good, book two kinda fell flat and book four was entertaining, if a bit confusing in spots.

8. RaymondJames

Thank you all for your posts. I am going to read now:lol:

I like Doctor Ree.

9. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked them all, really. I don't hold Orion's Hounds up on a pedestal the way some do, nor did I dislike Sword of Damocles the way others did. I'd say Taking Wing is still my favorite so far.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I think we are in agreement. However, just like the opening chapters of "Challenger: Chainmail", the confusion in "Sword of Damacles" was on purpose, and part of the storytelling. I loved being confused, and I loved finally "getting" it.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, good, 'cause it's hard to read up there.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far I'd rate the books: 3,1/4,2. I'll admit that some parts of 4 are alittle strange and confusing at first, but it's well written, and it does start to make sense if you just stick with it. I absolved loved three myself, I actually really liked the Pa'Haquel, and I thought that the stuff Chris did with the Star Jellies, and the other cozmozoans was really interesting. I also have to disagree with you on the boring part, I thought it had some really cool action scenes myself.

13. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, we agree on Orion's Hounds. No need repeating myself on that one. Greater Than The Sum makes up for it though.

14. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

My opinion.

1. Taking Wing - Was Good
    2. The Red King - Was So-So
    3. Orion's Hounds - Was Fantastic
    4. Sword of Damocles - Was not so good. --Not outright BAD, but the weakest of the bunch for sure.

A friend of mine who also reads these but doesn't post here has a slightly different opinion than me: He thought The Red King was the best, and the rest were all just equally decent.

15. RaymondJames

LS nice avitar, Love storm.

They are all great books, no doubt! I thinks its good that the 4 books are diverse and unique, that way alot of people can have different favorites and least favorites.

16. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, I've so far found each new installment of this series a significant step down from its immediate antecedent. Taking Wing was half excellent and half mediocre (I suspect I like one of the co-writers work, but not the other; I've no idea whose writing I like), The Red King was generally bland with both outstanding and unfortunate portions, Orion's Hounds was altogether bad (except for the alien science officer who left the ship), and Sword of Damocles was terrible. I hold out hope still. The next volume might win me over.

Also, I love Doctor Ree and Christine Vale. :)

17. RaymondJames

same here, I loved Dentara the Romulan female. It was the Romulans and Klingons and Remans which made #1 so good. I hate Captain William Riker, he let Dentara get away with cold blooded murder of a Klingon and he knows it! Sure you don't want the Romulan-Federation relationship getting worse but by covering up Muder...thats so wrong:devil:

I like Vale.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Cant get enough of this series. Heck If you told me a few years ago I'd be looking forward to a series starring Riker and Troi I'd say you were nuts!

19. RaymondJames

:lol: true.
    I like Riker and I like troi but as a couple on the same ship its annoying at times.

20. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wary of females named Dentara, myself. They've got one hell of a mouth on them, and really know how to cut to the quick.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

(P.S. The name is actually Donatra.)