JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will cost me at least $20 in bus fair to get my Runaways back from the bastard that borrowed them almost 10 years ago... Only to find that it's been irretrievably lost, filed or stored.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I just read Nightcrawler #1, my first X-Title in over 15 years. I enjoyed it, but man was I lost.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What?
    So just because there is a honking #1 on the cover doesn't instantly mean "GREAT JUMPING ON POINT!".
    Say it isn't so!! ;)

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe it's written by Chris Claremont who hasn't written anything readable since the end of his last run on UXM.

5. Savage Dragon

I found it entertaining but apparently a lot has changed in the X-Universe. Jean and Scott have their own competing schools?

6. Hound of UIster

The Jean Grey school is run by Wolverine. Jean died in the Morrison run of New X-Men. The current one running around is a younger time displaced version. Scott's school is more like underground survivalist cult.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When did Joss Whedon writer Runaways? I've seen references to him writing issues, but I couldn't find a list of who wrote which issues anywhere.

8. Guy Gardener

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

10. Savage Dragon

Question for all you collectors out there. How do you to track your collection?

When I was just starting out in the 80s I did it by pen and paper. In the early 90s I used something called Compu-Comic which didn't last very long. I then switched to an Excel spreadsheet in the 2000s. Around 2007 I switched to a program called ComicBase which I really like.

11. Guy Gardener

I needed to keep track of stuff so that I wouldn't buy the same comic 12 times at a cost of 6 dollars each every 3 months or so again and again.

The ongoing memory of not having a comic, of having this massive whole in your collection, the disenchantment and depression and longing is an epoch compared to the minor flutter of actually finding that which you've spent the last ten years being adamantly determined to find and acquire (affordably).

I needed my list with me.

It was a decade before tablets, and laptops were really expensive... You can't beat pen and paper.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have all of my comics recorded on Goodreads along with my other books. Even when I have individual issues, I still use the trade entry as a way to save space.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Volume 3 of The New 52 Wonder Woman yesterday.
    My review:
    The big shifts in the story that took place in the last issue lead to some great new situations, and some funny scenes in this collection. This one also introduced an interesting new villain. I look forward to seeing what kind of an impact he has on the series if/when he comes back. This one also saw some pretty big developments in one of the series arcs that has been going on since the beginning, that I am very happy about. They have managed to bring about a lot of shifts in the story and changes in characters' loyalty in a manner that makes sense. Some stories seem to have trouble doing things like this in a manner that makes sense, but here everything feels very organic and true to what has come before. The characterizations in the series continue to be really good. This one also introduced a preexisting character into the series, who is a nice addition to the cast. The art in the series continues to be outstanding.
    My rating: 5/5
    Is The First Born a completely new character?

14. Hound of UIster

Yes. Though I would argue he is Wonder Woman's Bane/Doomsday.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Didn't they already do that a few years ago in a Gail Simone storyline?

16. Guy Gardener

If you don't remember it clearly, then it's not a legend.

Bane was a shitty story, but that moment where he snapped the Bat's back.

Epic.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. The First Born is an original character...and I think it's very much safe to say that he is meant to be Diana's arch-nemesis in the manner that House of UIster mentions. Especially since he's managed to dismantle the pantheon so much.

I just love everything about Azzy and Chiang's run. They're going to be sorely missed.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which issue will be last?
    Have we heard yet how much of a reboot/retcon we're gonna get when the new writer and artist take over?
    I just found out Brian Azzarello wrote 100 Bullets. That's been on my to-read list for a while now, but learning this has definitely moved it up a few places.

19. Hound of UIster

We don't know yet though I believe it's probably #36.

This is the bad news. The current rumor is that the next writer is Meredith Finch, the wife of artist David Finch. She has had only one writing credit to her name and reportedly she only got the job because her husband demanded it. Given DC's previous experience with these first time writers, you probably shouldn't bother wasting your money on it then and the subsequent is going to be a complete catastrophe.

However if that rumor is false then I think the chances of Charles Soule, the writer for Superman/Wonder Woman and Swamp Thing getting the job is high. If it is him he'll probably even spent more time exploring Diana's godhood and being the newest incarnation of War. Of course there are other possible candidates including Cullen Bunn and Jeff Parker.

20. Savage Dragon

Let's hope it goes that way then. I've been enjoying Superman/Wonder Woman and I Diana being the God of War now.