Beer IS better than water

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by the 4th hanson bro, Jun 7, 2009.

1. kathryn i am

kathryn i am Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm definitely better at pool after a few beer - that should definitely be part of the experiment.

(PS Hi!)

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I once became unbeatable at pool when really drunkl. My prize for winning? More boozes. And still I kept winning at pool. My mad skills only lasted until the end of that day...

3. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks right to the top, rocks about 2" diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them in to the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. The students laughed. He asked his students again if the jar was full? They agreed that yes, it was.

The professor then picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. "Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life.

The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - anything that is so important to you that if it were lost, you would be nearly destroyed.

The pebbles are the other things in life that matter, but on smaller scale. The pebbles represent things like your job, your house, your car.

The sand is everything else. The small stuff.

If you put the sand or the pebbles into the jar first, there is no room for the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your energy and time on the small stuff, material things, you will never have room for the things that are truly most important. Pay attention to the things that are critical in your life. Play with your children. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. "Take care of the rocks first-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just pebbles and sand.

Then a graduate student pulled a can of beer out and proceeded to pour it into the jar. Just goes to show that no matter how full your life, there's always room for beer.

4. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

Is this why Westerners are supposed to have a greater ingrained (yes the pun was intentional) tolerance for alcohol because they purified water by making into beer whereas in Eastern culture they boiled water to make tea?
    I don't have a theory for Sake though:)

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Ditto, we head to the pub down the road. Nothing like a few pints after playing some hockey. Although the other night I ended up having 9 pints, which totally defeats the purpose.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's part of the theory, yeah. The theory suggests that most of those who couldn't handle alcohol in the west died out because they drank impure water (assuming at one time, tolerance in the east and west were equal). Therefore, most westerners these days have a tolerance for alcohol.

They do have alcohol in the east (sake is a good example), but I just chalk that up to everyone loving to get drunk. There are nomads in Mongolia who make alcohol out of milk, so people like to get drunk even when it seems like a terrible idea.

7. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This made me cry happy tears that taste like beer.

8. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

^ It's seldom a terrible idea at the time ~ the next morning however is another matter ;)

9. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

If that's true, then that's natural selection in action.

God bless my European ancestors for being too stupid and ignorant to boil their water. :beer:

If Asian people were smart enough to drink tea instead of beer, then that would provide a possible evolutionary explanation for alcohol flush reaction, to which so many Asian people are susceptible.

For some competing evolutionary explanations, see here.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, it's an idea perpetuated by biological anthropologists, so they would be using the theory of evolution as a basis for their theory.

Amen to that :beer: