Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. I LOVE them together! :)

47.5%
  2. I generally think they’re okay together.

18.0%
  3. Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together.

21.3%
  4. I HATE them together. :o

13.1%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes yes! That's what this thread needs, more underneath and on top.

[​IMG]

:adore:

2. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Fact 1. kirk humiliated galia..watch the extended kobiyashi maru scene....she looked all happy when she was about to read Kirk's note only to find out that there was no note and she was been used,in the commentary JJ said the look on galia face during kirk’s interrogation about him cheating on the test was anger.

Fact 2. It makes no difference what are Galia's pheromones are..we are talking of morality here and she and kirk have none.

Fact 3. I dont think it is just sex, Uhura seems to be genuinely in love with Spock...unlike kirk and galia who are in lust and it’s not like Spock is her high school teacher. A professor and college student dating is frowned upon but not banned like a high school student and a teacher. Besides Spock is only like 3 years older, It’s not like she hooked up with Captain Pike and more importantly Spock is like a student teacher at the academy. There is a good chance that their relationship started when they were both students, him in his final year and she in her first year.

Fact 4. I would say uhura has a lot of different sides to her judging from her first appearance. She is obviously popular among her peers, she has a lot of girl friends she even says hi to them before she goes to the bar and she is popular with the boys as some of them were willing to protect her from kirk’s harassment. Uhura is obviously close to her roommate although she does not appreciate her bringing guys back to their room, yes she was mean to Kirk (for good reasons), she respects Captain Pike and she is very loving to Spock .there are different sides to her. Its a shame you only choose to see the her negative side

Fact 5. Okay this one is not that straight forward. I would advise you to read A STAR TREK NOVEL called STAR FLEET ACADEMY: THE GEMINI AGENT. In that novel she and Spock discussed how people are posted to federation ships.

If you don’t consider the book canon and you judge canon only on the film then it means Spock is the one who assign people to the ship and it was illogical for him to assign her to the wrong ship because he didn’t want to show favoritism. She had no one else to go to but him

Fact 6. Kira and torres had like 100+ episodes to prove their strengths. Nu-Uhura had 1 movie which was less than 2 hours to prove her strength and I will say she did, starting with her getting her deserved place on the enterprise and also when Spock left after almost killing kirk.

Uhura did not go Bella Swan on Kirk and the rest of her crew mates instead she stayed and continued to help them look for ways to defeat Nero despite the fact that her boyfriend was no longer the captain and even part of the crew at that very moment.
    Is she was weak she will perhaps have relived herself of her duty and gone to be with Spock but she didn’t.

Fact 7. Calling a woman a bitch is always a no no...take it from a girl like me that loves fantasy and science fiction. Princes Leia and Hermione Granger are more feisty, more bossy and have more attitude problem than Nu Uhura...Heck even their Ron and Han Solo get frustrated with their behavior at times. Does that make then bitchy?

Looking back now , Its kind of funny because I have heard some HP fans and SW fans call leia and Hermione bitches.

Fact 8. O well and your a guy....when I am with a group of friends, I am always considered as one of the guys .

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

This is a very bad photoshop art.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Very nice, teacake. :) :techman:

5. teacake

BUT.. not canon so does not count. Like many I'm glad they dropped that from the movie. It simply did not happen if it didn't appear on the screen.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I figured it out now...the S/U relationship is like the Vegeta and bulma relationship in Dragon Ball Z.

7. teacake

Aww.. what if I'd made it myself? Then my feelings would be hurt. Most manips are very amateur, I thought this one was rather lovely.

If I made one myself it would look more like a photo version of S/Uf's potato head dolls :lol: So I appreciate people's efforts!

Now earlier SU/F said something about it being a love story rather than a romance and that got me thinking.. that's scary stuff. Because Trek doesn't do love stories very well. It seems almost inevitable that they will break up in the next movie even if it's a mutual agreement to move on and not some drama. I mean hopefully they don't kill her like they killed off Miranmee, Zarabeth, Edith Keeler, possibly Gaila (though the latter wasn't a romance like the others). I don't think they WILL kill her, for one thing they are already rather short on women. And for another I'm pretty sure Vulcan was enough :lol:

BUT.. what do others think, how likely is it that this will still be a love story at the end of ST:XII? I'm hoping it is, it seems like a bunch of teasing to do otherwise, to relegate Uhura to the list of one shot romances Kirk and Spock have had over the years.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

:confused: Please do explain. I tried to find a simple description of their relationship online, but all I came across was fanfiction. :shrug:

I think it works too. I'm afaid I can't take credit for the potato heads, though. Just the typing. I do think it's a cute picture of the real product, though. :)

I thought the love stories on DS9 were handled well, and even if they weren't, this is a new writing team, producers, and director. They may have success making a love story here where some others might have not or may not have been allowed to. I'm not afraid at all. ;)

A break-up in the next film has yet to be seen. I share your hope.

9. teacake

I am starting to worry about it now. This is different than a series. There has to be a build up, a drama, a conclusion. We had the teaser in ST:XI. I'm think there is no way this relationship can just keep ticking along in the background of whatever big threat the Enterprise is dealing with in ST:XII. Something will happen.

10. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Well that (feeling) I regret.

It would seem so. Actually I should have been more explicit: I made that comment when referring to factors that might indicate prior relationships. I thought it clear my comment was restricted to that topic. My mistake. On the other hand if I had really meant I had no assumptions based on past history at all, then I wouldn’t have expected there to be any similarity between the two universes. Though my comment was as much to do with what happened within each universe as between them (ie Spock/Uhura in one and Scotty/Uhura in the other).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

breaking them up wouldn't make any make sense for the writers like Zoe Saldana said why bother with their relationship if you are not gonna stand by it and further develop it in the sequel?
    They also did give a lot of space to it in the novels and plenty of hints in the comics.
    This is one of the few things that make this THEIR own star trek.

I was about to write something similar.
    and sorry Ufo, I don't have the energy to read everything you said and reply again. I don't want to go off topic again, plus it's pretty much obvious that you are as biased as the rest of us is although from the tone of your posts I bet you think that your interpretations are undeniable absolute facts.

anyway this bit did give me a good laugh:

I do wonder what or who makes Spock not "actually available" :lol: Geez Uhura get your hand off him! He's not available for you!:p I guess you're one of those Spock is asexual fans. Except he wasn't one even in TOS but hey... Let's agree to disagree about everything here.

and we can say the same about the ones that dislike Spock/Uhura for the same reason :rolleyes:

same as above ;)

same could be said about Spock/Uhura both in TOS and ST09
    but I thought that what wasn't showed on screen never happened and therefore is not canon. ;) This is all plot bunnies.

my point stands that neither Scotty/Uhura nor Spock/Uhura happened in TOS and are canon there. They did happen only in the movies (about different realities).
    Then, If we want to talk about hints from TOS then Nichelle Nichols is totally right. Between the two the only CANON clues we could find in TOS did hint to Spock/Uhura and never to Scotty/Uhura. Whatever you think that happened offscreen between Scotty/Uhura is up to you and your opinion. It's also called fanfiction. But it makes your argument against Spock/Uhura hypocritical for afore mentioned reasons and the number of excuses you are using to justify Scotty/Uhura all the while denying Spock/Uhura for the reasons that seem to make you believe that the first were not only believable but happened (of screen, in your fantasy) in TOS
    all the while denying or minimize the actual hints of Spock/Uhura
    The funniest part is that your argument is that according to you Uhura flirting with Spock is no hint of any romantic interest from her part BUT, according to you, we're supposed to believe that she had a romantic interest for Scotty because, according to you, it happened of screen.. it just wasn't showed to us! too bad..

I see plenty but I won't argument this more than that

12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather they didn't do this but I don't mind that much.

13. teacake

What novels? The four JJ novels that were contracted and written have never been released.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing the young adult Starfleet Academy books. I've read the first two, and... meh. I want my nuTrek in 400 page doses, by writers who know the Trekverse backwards.

15. teacake

I want those novels so bad!

16. teacake

So I've been thinking about what may come in ST:XII.

Spock and Uhura: The Breakup
    Possibilities

1. The Obvious. Spock decides that "following his heart" means rebuilding his people and not just with some DNA donations. T'Somebody must be in the picture and that means Uhura must graciously step aside having lost her man to a planet.

Fan Reaction: Everybody cries and Spock's noble angsty sacrifice elevates him to an iconic status several levels above his current iconic status even though we thought he was at the very top already.

2. The Fates. Spock and/or Uhura go through some terrible trauma at the end of which one or both look at each other with the calm, cooling realization that it is not meant to be.

Fan Reaction: One million posts agonizing, defending, weeping, gloating over why it was not meant to be.

3. The Disappointment. Faced with a terrible dilemma Spock makes an ethically dubious decision based on logic and something precious to Uhura dies or is compromised. Uhura dumps him. The look of hurt on her face is heart wrenching but she also manages to look noble and hot.

Fan Reaction: wtf bitching explodes the internet.

4. The Fantasy. One day Uhura is somewhere she is not supposed to be and she sees Kirk and Spock in flagrante delicto. She accuses Spock of using her as a decoy all this time and despite his assurances that really, being with her is quite pleasant the relationship is over.

Fan Reaction: teacake makes an avatar of NuSpock's face with NOT.HET. superimposed over it. Youtube melts down under the heat of ten thousand new slash uploads. The term "fanwank" is suddenly understood by normal people in the street.

GOD IS NOW PROVEN TO EXIST.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

:lol:

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And answering the eternal question: Why does God need a starship?

For the slash fiction, of course!

19. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

like someone already answered I'm talking about the Starfleet Academy series.
    Those set up the background and backstory of Spock and Uhura how they started their friendship and then fell in love.

I've read somewhere that both the comics and the novels are somehow canon because the writers ( Orci said it) need to approve them to a degree and the novels cannot have in them anything that the writers don't want them to have. I'd say it's a grey area between canon and non canon, they're still interesting though if you want to know how they got together.

20. teacake

So, how did they get together?

Does it address the tutor/student issue?

If it's written for a young market I'm guessing there is no going where no Spock has gone before in it.