Klingons in STID--why do they look like [SPOILERS]?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DavidLeeRoth, May 17, 2013.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

They did look like Klingons. I wish we got a better lit look at them, though. It seems a natural progression, especially since the makeup hasn't been "seen" since 2005. Not sure I dug the bedazzled ridges, though. Seemed a little odd.

As well, given that we had Augment-Klingons and Kiss-Klingons, it's not too far off the mark to imagine these guys are another off-shoot/ethnic group/race of Klingons.

Not quite on topic, but no other good thread for this. I enjoyed the little nod to Martok with the Ketha Province.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They may be a bit more tribal in their attitudes. A lot of tribes like having jewelry, mainly in noses and ears, but if you have a head full of ridges, that just seems ripe for the bedazzling.

Yep, that was a nice nod.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I noticed the nod to Martok and DS9, too. The people who say J.J. is pissing all over established Trek lore and jettisoning the old timeline and reality are full of it.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Oops. You goofed. Allow me to fix it for you:
    There, that's better.
    To reinforce the fantasy that Star Trek is real.

5. BritishSeaPower

Certainly. It was a bit visually odd. Because it was so rushed at first, I thought they were bony protrusions and not jewelry. The logic behind it is sound, though. I mean, we know Klingons love their gold accouterments.

I believe Martok is even considered to be inferior because he's from Ketha. Maybe there are deeper race politics in the Klingon Empire than we've ever thought! :-p

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Could be! Plus, their appearance was different enough to knock me off balance for a moment, which I see as a good thing. :D

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it does kind of look like a craphole.

I also noticed that Praxis (if that's what it was) looks more intact this time.

8. cooleddie74

Considering what Klingons evolved from:

[​IMG]

I'd say the fact that any Klingons look as consistent and humanlike as they do is pretty impressive. ;)

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I will forever hate that episode. Forever.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Quick question am I the only one who feels kind of bad for the Klingon Uhura killed?

Because that looked like it was probably the worst why for a guy to die.

11. cooleddie74

Barclay Spider is going to lay eggs inside your thorax for that, J.

12. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

On a related note I found it interesting that the Praxis "incident" seems to have already happened in the Abramsverse.

Still like the look of the Klingons in STID!

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Ugh. :lol:
    Seriously, if I could burn the master film for that episode, I would be happy. :lol:

14. cooleddie74

I saw that! I'm actually surprised somebody hasn't started a thread on the shattered remains of Praxis orbiting Qo'noS.

Unless that's a different moon. After all, in TUC Dmitri Valtane calls Praxis "a Klingon moon" before Sulu goes into detail about how it's a key energy production facility.

15. BritishSeaPower

I would say it's one of those "There if you get it, but doesn't have to be" references. I assumed it was Praxis. And it's not the only TUC reference/nod in the film.

16. cooleddie74

The appearance looked similar to the Excelsior's long-range sensor image of Praxis from the Prime timeline. There were differences, but even Qo'noS itself hasn't been depicted in completely consistent terms since the very first time we saw it on TNG during the third season of the series.

I'm going with "that was Praxis" unless we read otherwise from the producers.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looked like a real version of the computer enhanced graphic in TUC, to a tee. That's why it reminded me of that. Good homage, don't care if it is 'too soon' for that to have happened or not.

The Klingon's were fine, much better than I thought they'd be based on the screen cap.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The probably began overmining Praxis earlier because of Nero and Starfleet's buildup.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked this movie so much I really don't care whether they're consistent with much of the previous timeline or visual continuity at all. Let these guys do what they want as long as they stay entertaining.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surely this comes under bigger budget too? It's why the Klingons were given bumpy heads in the first place.