Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The only 'canon' I often care about is the one I get to shoot some fanbois out of. :)

I've always been a 'use what works' guy, so I guess I'm a lot more like Franz Joseph in that regard that a 'canonista' that demands everything on screen MUST be real (even when it's stupid or nonsensical).

I always found the bulbs lacking, really. On my badly-built model Enterprise, for instance, it's the 'production' build with the 'advanced grill' on back. Just looks a LOT better to me. But then, I also liked the black markings on the primary hull, too...

2. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

just in case I wasn't obvious enough in my earlier post, I was totally kidding about the canon thing.

I just thought it was amusing that you mentioned the Christmas bulbs, especially in light of the recent pic's someone posted showing the "magic" behind the "bussard collectors" on the original Enterprise, with its collection of Christmas lights. Pretty amazing what they were able to do with a few Christmas lights way back when. And I remember many, many posts by our good Professor, Vektor and others, talking about how difficult it was for them to replicate that effect, so simply created in the '60s physical model, in their modern day CGI software applications. Guess I had Christmas bulbs on the brain. ;)

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Thanks. There are also similar weapons hatches on the keel of the secondary hull--again, you just can't see 'em from this particular angle. I deliberately made all of the hatches nearly impossible to see except in giant-sized closeups like this because (a) the Enterprise is not a ship of war (exposed weapons in her successor namesakes notwithstanding) and doesn't go around flashing her power, and (b) they weren't features on the studio models and I'm trying to keep visible feature changes to a minimum.

The POV-Ray model I built seven years (!) ago had glowy balls, and I also experimented with a couple of geometric patterns, but I kinda like Gramma's lightshade, and it's about as far as I'm willing to alter the original look. (I'd love to do something like what deg3D or Vektor did in this particular area, but then we'd be moving firmly into the realm of wholesale changes.)

Me too, even though the aft nacelle grillework makes the Enterprise look like she's motivated by Newtonian physics. That's why it was fun building the Constellation (before wrecking her)... I got to put back all of the details I liked on the Enterprise as she appeared in "Where No Man Has Gone Before". And yes, as time allows I'll continue publishing orthos and closeups of the Enterprise and Constellation (pre- and post-damaged).

4. Professor Moriarty

"The Tholian Web" is on the list, but I'm probably going to tackle "Elaan of Troyius" next so that I have an excuse to build a Klingon battlecruiser. :devil:

5. TrekkieMonster

My internal 12 year old couldn't help but giggle at this. :p

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

*smirk* I happen to have some renders on HDD of that POV-Ray Model. :D
    I'll try and find them. :D

7. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Oh, I know.. but as a Trek tech-guy, I deal with a LOT of that crap.. "It's Canon" is usually a sign of "Yeah, it's stupid, but you have to do it anyway!" :P

(Reference the 'What are warp speeds' thread)

Simple in reality, complex to render with all the small lights and mirrors involved. I'm amazed at how it can look in there, though, but you can get some really good effects with some refraction in a duotetrahedron going on. At some point, it has to look 'good and similar' instead of exact, though.

8. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

You're an artist, Prof.:techman:

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Sooo... I guess I'm the only one who kinda digs the aft cap texture, then? :p

It's still not my favorite thing about Prof's approach - which would be the way the ship is lit. :)

10. Professor Moriarty

Well I like it too. :D

11. scifieric

scifieric Captain Captain

I've always found that artist's preference tends to count for a lot.

;)

12. Professor Moriarty

13. TrekkieMonster

[little school girl]SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL![/little school girl] :lol:

The new and improved Doomsday Machine, now with propulsion exhaust! Sweet! :bolian:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  14. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

I don't know if it's what you were after, but I SWEAR it was slithering.
    Very scary looking and excellent.

15. Professor Moriarty

Actually, that's exactly what I was going for. :evil: Wait until you see it in millions of colors at DVD resolution (versus a GIF that's had the hell compressed out of it at 250x250).

16. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

It's awesome. :) I don't know about the big "fangs" on the front of it, but they might grow on me.

17. Professor Moriarty

The "fangs" have a very specific purpose... they're not just there for "show". :evil:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  18. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Neat little planet killer you got there Prof. :cool:

19. Soar_Dude

Soar_Dude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the orginal idea was supposed to have the spikes that directed anti proton beam. So Scott am I right? If so do I get a cookie?:hugegrin:

20. Professor Moriarty

You'll find out in about a week-ish, if all goes according to plan.

Given my estimation skills, that might be a Christmas cookie. :D