2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You want Papplebon?

2. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Brendan Morrow has no hits, but eight walks against him by the mid third. Gibbons pulls him after he loads the bases and walks in a run and then the reliever gives up a grand slam on the second pitch.

If this team isn't going to fire Gibbons, at least fire the pitching coaching Pete Walker. This team has just brutal pitching that just hangs them out to dry most nights.

3. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Arizona does. Problem is that they're using them as the starting rotation. :mad: 7 and 18 is not a good start to this season and does not bode well.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

He was unhittable, though! [​IMG]

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy to see the Giants have a nice weekend. I'm getting a little concerned that Belt isn't hitting, but I thought his defense at first this weekend was steller. Heck, even Crawford and Hicks were great this weekend in terms of defense, something I remember was lacking last year. Also nice to see Posey get some nice hits and a home run yesterday. It seems like the hoopla around Posey has kind of died down some so it's nice to just see him go out there, play catcher really well (And this year he really is playing the position really well) and not be surrounded by the MVP hype.

It's also nice when the Dodgers have a losing weekend, even though it's too early to be looking at the standings. Now it's back to playing the National League west for a few games, something I'm actually getting a little annoyed by. Looking forward to the games in Atlanta and Pittsburgh, which it seems like this is really early for the Giants to be going to those two cities. At least it won't be hot as hell and I don't know what the weather is like in Pittsburgh these days but I remember it always Raining at least a day when the Giants are there.

6. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

T-A-N-A-K-A!!!!

Even when he doesn't have his best stuff, he still strikes out 11.

The kid's worth every dime so far...

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Dice-K went 18-3 the first year... :devil:

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I put McHugh on my fantasy team in the absence of Scott Feldman. :eek: He did not disappoint. Houston is getting better in a hurry. I wasn't a big fan of their new/old logo and colors at first but they've really grown on me.

9. Yanks

So what happened to him?

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Injuries and the Red Sox pitching staff trying to make him change to conform to their style instead of being more adaptable.

11. Yanks

Yeah, just read up a little... TJ surgury, forearm problems... eesh...

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That's kinda the big knock on Japanese pitchers: compared to their American counterparts, they've got a million miles on their arm before they come over here. They don't get babied like they do in the minors here, so they've been going with huge pitch counts (200+ a game), throw a ton more in side sessions, and have been doing it since like 14 years old.

So when you get a 27 year old pitcher with that resume, sounds awesome. Except he's got more miles on the arm than the 34 year old guy from the US.

Not to say he won't continue to be good, or avoid injury, or whatever, just that that's the big risk with Japanese pitchers. All while adapting to a totally different style of how to manage pitchers, so they aren't working out the same way, or throwing the same number of pitchers in side sessions or the same number of times a week, etc. Seems to burn them out pretty quick.

So yeah, Dice-K was great the first year (although annoying to watch, liked to nibble vice attacking batters), and after that, just wasn't the same. Probably pitching through injuries, then actually injured, and then just done. Slight bounce-back now, but hasn't re-established himself yet.

Just wanted to point out that you shouldn't get TOO high about the good results so far. May very well be for real, but may just be a function of being his first time through the league, as well. And with the miles on the arm, no telling when the good times will come to a sudden halt. Not the equivalent of picking up a 26 year old Felix Hernandez...

13. Timby

Bryce Harper is out until early July (at the soonest).

Way to go, Matt Williams.

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

At least he hustled though. :lol:

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Sonny Gray is a beast. Love that kid.

16. Timby

3: Wins by CC Sabathia, who has a 5.11 ERA and is getting 6.17 runs of support per start.

0: Wins by Jeff Samardzija, who has a 1.98 ERA and is getting 2.33 runs of support per start.

17. Yanks

Yup...

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Wins are the mark of a great pitcher, though. :ouch:

19. Timby

And what does that tell us, class?

It tells us that pitcher wins are meaningless.

Thus endeth the lesson.

20. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:brickwall: Five games of impotent offense. I'm not worried about the Braves right now because it is May but they really have to get the bats going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.