Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Aslan ch'Shran, May 23, 2010.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Maybe that is why I like it so much. The Way to Eden is one of my favorite episodes!

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I am right there with you, ST! But... I miss the rock-creatures...:(

3. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great movie. Lots of themes and subtext. I especially enjoyed the irony of the 'planet of galactic peace', staffed by cynical, jaded representatives of the big three empires, where its denizens make homemade weapons in order to fight over rocks. In the end of the film, they enjoy the peace they were pretending at all along.

Of course, they were back at odds in VI, but a film should be judged by its own merits. :)

4. Chrisisall

Sarcasm Detected, repeat, Sarcasm Detected!

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do love the jaded Ambassadors, that they feel they were being punished for having a part in the Planet of Galactic Peace.

6. Chrisisall

Was the Planet Of Galactic Peace a metaphor for the UN?;)

7. Aslan ch'Shran

Aslan ch'Shran Ensign Red Shirt

Actually, Nemesis is one of my favorite Trek movies so I don't think they intentionally wanted it to bomb. I liked the action in Nemesis and I thought the movie was awesome. I think though a better choice for Picard's clone would have been that English fellow that likes to dress like Picard in real life. No idea who he is but he buys Trek memorabilia and looks eerily like Picard but younger.

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps. I saw it more as forgetful diplomacy, where half hearted efforts are made to work together, something gets halfway done, and then the governments quickly toss it from the books.

9. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I saw TFF on TV some years ago. When I did, I had already been on here for a while, so I was expecting to get most of my entertainment value from laughing at how cheesy it was. When it was over, I instead thought, "Wow, that really felt like the show." Don't get me wrong, I like some of the action-adventure movies like TWoK and TUC, but they feel like a different animal from the show. TMP and TFF have their faults, but they really do feel like true extensions of the original series, and not just popcorn movies with the same actors.

As for the special effects, the only thing I remember groaning at was Spock's rocket-boots/green-screen thing. I don't recall anything else really drawing my attention.

I like Luckinbill well enough, and I agree that Connery wouldn't have seemed right as a Vulcan. But if that would've made that studio more confident about the movie, hey, Connery in Trek may have been kind of interesting (of course, if it did happen, people would probably just be listing him as another reason the movie didn't work).

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Go and get the Star Trek Magazine movies special, where I defend this as, well, the best TOS finale episode we could get...

11. Chrisisall

I close my eyes on that one...:wtf:

12. Chrisisall

Got a link?

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

14. Aslan ch'Shran

Aslan ch'Shran Ensign Red Shirt

I already read that, good work on that! I still feel Sybok was not evil and not a figure like Khan - he was just misguided and that's what made him absolutely fantastic as a character. Movie was still sub par.

15. Chrisisall

Because of substandard FX or too many dumb funnies? Just curious.

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like that Sybok is getting some due here. He is, when you think about it, the best-motivated, most-nuanced antagonist a Trek film ever had. Every other villain, with the possible exception of Kruge, but especially Khan and Nero, is really just kind of an evil asshole. Sybok was different, in that you got that he was fundamentally a pretty good guy, which is why he was so dangerous--he was a fundamentally good guy who was fanatical about dangerous ideas.

In this regard, the film is probably the clearest statement of the Roddenberryesque view on religion. They found the Abrahamic God--and blew Him up. And Sybok suddenly becomes an actual good guy, just as soon as he accepts that his previously zealous faith was totally misplaced (or just flat-out wrong). Just as I think of TMP as "The Changeling's Better Second Draft," I think of TFF as "Who Mourns for Adonais, But Good."

And you know, even though I rather enjoy TOS, I'd still take TFF over any individual episode.

Edit: I will concede that the S/VFX are shit throughout, except I liked the effect used to create the Great Barrier.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  17. Chrisisall

! YES!
    :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:
    My phaser is set to kill...
    The practical shuttle stuff was pretty good!;)

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw STV again for the first time in years yesterday (first time on DVD), and I loved it.

I agree it was the most TOS-like of the movies, by far.

The effects? I found them quaint. I'd hate to see a CG'd version. Painted model on a string for me any day! I loved the effect in the observation lounge, seeing the barrier slowly grow larger and larger. I hadn't noticed that before.

Sybok was great. Kirk, Spock and McCoy were great. The humor? OTT, but easily ignored. Scottyhura? Bad idea.

I never thought much about it before, but I really liked the Enterprise bridge in STV. After seeing VI a bit ago, it was nice someone turned the lights on in V.

Overall I think The Shat really got what Star Trek was about.

19. Chrisisall

But easily ignored IMO.
    :techman:

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

The same reason why God needs a starship.