Variety says John Carter film is poory scripted and directed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by KL700, Mar 6, 2012.

1. KL700

KL700 Lieutenant

Link to article

(KL700 - please do not post entire articles in the future. A link accompanied by a brief summary or snippet is sufficient. And some original commentary of your own is also wise to include.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool, but why not simply link to the article rather than paste its content?

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Or why not put it in the existing John Carter thread?

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The OP has demonstrated his cut and paste skills are adequate. Unfortunately, he didn't bother to add any content of his own. It does seem that while the film might or might not turn out to be an expensive flop for Disney, it probably won't kick off a new franchise.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Please cut out half of the article.

Trekbbs has a policy about copying and pasting an entire article

It deals with copyright issues.

6. Captaindemotion

7. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Why open a new thread for a single review, anyway? There are plenty of revews out for the movie at this point, most of them fairly positive.

I am surprised, though, that the film's RT rating has been dropping significantly over the last few days. I, as I wrote in the other thread, really liked John Carter when I saw it and would absolutely recommend it to any sci-fi fan.
    I can't wait to see it a second time!

8. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I say the title of this thread is poorly spelled :)

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw a bus ad for the movie recently and was stunned at how bad it was. It was just a red-orange blob - I couldn't even tell what it was trying to depict. If I weren't an ERB fan, "John Carter" would sound like a new men's fashion designer to me. Maybe it's a new fashion line, along the lines of Perry Ellis, Marc Jacobs or Sean John? That blob could be anything. :rommie:

11. Captaindemotion

^ I don't know why they thought it was a good idea not to mention the word 'Mars' somewhere in the title.

12. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Every movie with aliens in it now has to be compared to Cameron's overlong cat-people fetish? :rolleyes:

13. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Well, Avatar was heavily inspired by the John Carter novels, so it's not that far-fetched...

14. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

"John Carter Warlord of Mars" would have been fine

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

As a title for the movie that it's attached to? No, it really wouldn't, because only two words of the five are true. Carter isn't a warlord and the film's plot is driven by Carter's desire to go home to Earth and his "cave of gold," so it's not true until he finds himself and his place in the world (which comes at the climax) that he can be said to be "of Mars." Believe me, I would have wanted nothing more than to see the words "of Mars" in the title, but after seeing the film last night I know that they don't apply.

I actually think that "Under the Moons of Mars" would have been a better title. Though I don't think that Phobos and Deimos actually look the way they're shown in the film. :)

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Does the fact that he doesn't really become "John Carter of Mars" until the end of the movie really mean that the movie can't be called that? The end is still part of the movie, after all. I think the "of Mars" title would have worked just fine.

17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It wouldn't bother me any, and I suspect not many of the general audience. I expect they'd be canny enough to understand it's something he becomes by the end of the film. The dullness of the marketing campaign is a greater problem than the title alone. I liked the article at Newsarama, which highlights a lot of positives about the film. http://www.newsarama.com/film/john-carter-mars-film-review.html However, that poster is so lackluster. If I didn't know who John Carter was, I wouldn't be all that impressed. The poster looks plain and rather slapdash, more like a bad 80's sword and sorcery movie. http://i.newsarama.com/images/John-Carter-poster-2.jpg

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Perhaps John Carter of Jasoom is more accurate until he receives the name "Dotar Sojat."

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

NY Post review

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainme...zRSiBKzQhIL?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Movies

20. KL700

KL700 Lieutenant

I would've posted a link to the article, but it'd go black on you if I did, as Variety's site has a pay wall around it.