THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 1, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got this the other day and was wondering if anyone else has gotten there hands on it yet? Well, other than Dark Horizon, who posted about the stuff in the back.

2. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me but I'm wondering if I should reread the original first..

Compare both books by the way and you'll see something interesting.

3. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I got my customary 2 copies from Amazon on Monday or Tuesday (one to read, another for "the collection.")

I've read the first chapter but I'm having a little trouble getting into it -- even though when I read the original version about 18 months ago I was completely wrapped up in it from the first sentence. (Killer first line, Mr. Mack!)

Perhaps my memories of reading the original version are still too vivid. Reading this version has a slight "been there - done that" feeling. I think to be fair to the expanded version I need to wait a few more years and try again once the memories of the shorter version have dimmed.

Maybe I'll wait until Rise Like Lions is published and read them back-to-back. Yeah, that's the ticket! ;)

4. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Daddy,

Compare the two and you'll notice something pretty interesting.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

It is next in the reading pile.
    If you need a spoiler what differences/changes are there?

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, according to David Mack Rise Like Lions is only a possibility, not a 100% certainty. Here's a quote from the thread devoted to that topic.

7. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I downloaded the ebook of this today to my B&N nook and am really enjoying it so far. I'll have it finished in a day or two and can then give a more informed opinion. :)

Kevin

8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

That's why I included a ";)" on the end. I knew it was unapproved and only a possibility. I was trying to inject a bit of humor. Evidently I failed.

If Rise Like Lions doesn't appear in the next couple years, then I'll go ahead and read Sorrows of Empire.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, I see. I honestly didn't even notice the smilie at the end.

10. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think the original version is a more "fun" story, but the expanded version is probably the more "realistic" story.

In particular, Spock's character is made somewhat less sympathetic through three expanded version storylines:

1) destroying two starships (via their self-destruction mechanisms) in order to eliminate M5, 2) committing genocide against Trill symbiotes, and 3) murdering his mother (hurting his relationship with Sarek)

As a reader, I much preferred the idea that mirror Spock was able to make peace with mirror Sarek, and, as a whole, it was easier to enjoy Spock's grand plan when we weren't presented with so many instances of his ruthlessness.

On the other hand, the expanded version is a much better representation of how much mirror Spock would have to compromise his ideals in order to attain his goals. It made the reader think a bit more, and I consider this version a valuable addition to my trek library (though, I could have done without most of the Vanguard references).

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I just picked this up on Tuesday, but I've yet to get it in my briefcase to take home from work.

12. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picked up my copy yesterday. It's a lot beefier than I expected, coming in at 448 pages. I know David Mack has said it was going to twice as long as the original story but I didn't know how that would translate to page numbers considering the original was in trade size. I'm looking forward to it. Also on my short list is his 4400 book, I have it but the holidays played havoc with my reading.

13. Ronald Held

I finally get to start it tomorrow.

14. Hamilton

Hamilton Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm going to pick it up after work today.

I'm trying to come in with no expectations or preconceived notions, though I'm sure as soon as I'm done with the novel, I'll have to grab the novella and read it.

Can't wait, though. David Mack is one of my favorite authors, and he never disappoints.

15. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Kind of you to say, Hamilton. Although there is "a first time for everything," I hope this isn't one of those times. :)

16. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I promised in another thread, I went and bought Sorrow of Empire.

I picked it up last night and finished my reading it about 10:30 last night. Its a quick read, but I thought it was a great read. The additional material really adds to the original version.

I enjoyed watching Mack weave elements from the original Television series, as well as elements of other works into the novel. If I'd have to compare it to something else, I'd argue its like the Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings. The original story is great, but I think the expanded version really provides a greater expansiveness to the story.

17. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Wow — having my work compared to the expanded versions of The Lord of the Rings? I'll take it. :)

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just picked it up and put in my "to-read" pile. I only skimmed through, but it looks great:techman:. Can't wait to read the expanded parts with the MU Vanguard people.

19. Ronald Held

so far it is turning out somewhat better than I expected, even thought I am not a quarter done.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

My Chapters still doesn't have any copies...probably will have to wait a week or so before they do. They're always slow.