NHLOL Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by the 4th hanson bro, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Woot!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

It sounds to me like the mediator who got things moving should get a Nobel Prize of some kind. I was astounded that at one point the owners tried to bully the players into not letting Don Fehr back into the negotiations. Their earlier temper tantrum when the players made a counter-offer to what was supposed to be a "take it or leave it" proposal was also pretty amazing. At least we won't have to go through this for at least another 8 years and who knows; maybe by then the hockey owners will be in the same kind of place as baseball where everybody's making so damn much money that they can't afford to get into a dick-waving contest like this again.

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just like I said, I'll be back watching the hockey and predicting etc.

Now we see how many of the people who said "Oh I won't watch ever again" will actually hold to their word.

4. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

I really got into the QMJHL this year. The Halifax Mooseheads are on fire. It's beautiful, beautiful hockey.

Oh, the pros are coming back. Woo?

5. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz1kmGKDuUE&feature=share[/yt]

Now if we can get rid of Buttman, ASAP.

6. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The weasel is the hired stooge of the owners. There's no reason for me to believe he's going anywhere.

7. Gil T.Azell

Saw this on my Brother In-Laws FB page
    [​IMG]
    :rommie:

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Love it! Just posted it to my own feed.

9. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally. Looking forward to watching the Kings get their rings and hoist the first non-Purple and Gold championship banner at Staples. :D

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Commander Red Shirt

Bettman's not the problem. He's just doing what the owners tell him to do. If Bettman left tomorrow, the owners would install someone new who would do the exact same thing.

Owners like Jeremy Jacobs are the problem. Bettman is the Vader to Jacobs' Palpatine.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's not true. Bettman's decisions hold unless 75% of the owners vote against him (and, since one of the teams is owned by the league, they're obviously not voting against him). Throughout this process, there was a rumor that Bettman had the support of about 7 teams, which was enough to keep this whole thing going.

12. Gil T.Azell

13. Alidar Jarok

Dear Gil T. Azell, then stop giving money to the NHL and start giving money to the Pentagon (you might as well literally do so as a gift to make sure it arrives directly). People who make money earn more money for the people who pay them. It's economics, not feel good policies.

14. Gil T.Azell

I give money the Pentagon every time I shop in the US, through the taxes I have to pay, :lol:.
    But taking one step further maybe people should stop paying for NFL/NBA/MLB, etc and some of their High prices too. and over paid players.

15. Kevin W.

Not every player in the NHL is overpaid. The lockout hurts the fourth-line pine riders/healthy scratch guys who don't command nearly as much attention as the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the world more than it does the multi-millionaires. Do you think some energy line goon can find a big European contract when the NHL isn't paying his bills?

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I never got the whole "the players are overpaid!" nonsense anyway. If you're generating millions of dollars in revenue for your team (and, by extension, the city/region in which you play), why shouldn't you be paid millions of dollars in return?

17. Alidar Jarok

If that's all you're willing to contribute to the salaries of soldiers, no wonder...

18. Kevin W.

Definitely. Let's not forget that the games not being played hurts the arena staff, many of which don't make anywhere near the millions the players do, and the businesses around the arenas that benefit from increased traffic during hockey season. After all, not every arena in the NHL has a team in the NBA to call it home when the hockey team isn't playing.

19. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

So Brian Burke got fired. Did not see that coming, thought he'd get at least the shortened season under his belt before management made any decisions like that.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I just read about it on Twitter... I also did not see that coming.
    I do find the whole "Nonis replacing Burke" thing funny. I hope Gillis isn't next in a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.