Feeling Like A Kid

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by WRStone, Feb 14, 2014.

1. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ladies and gents I need to mention something amongst people who'll probably understand.

For the last week, I've felt like a kid again. As usual, it's very Star Trek related.

Last week, Star Trek Continues released "Lolani." Tomorrow, Star Trek Phase II releases "The Holiest Thing."

"Lolani" was frakking awesome, by the way. If you've not seen it, go.

Now.

Seriously.

Go.

Right the frak away.

Here, I'll help.

I've been fanboying about this since Saturday, but this is actually kind of a big deal for me. I'm a life-long Trekkie, having been born shortly after they shot, "The Cage."

Some of my earliest memories are of the show. Like many of us, no one will play the Star Trek edition of Trivial Pursuit with me.

Some tried once. Never again. :klingon:

I've done cons. My first was Star Trekon in Kansas City: Star Trekon 1976. The one with the huge mural from "Amok Time." :vulcan:

I've done enough cons to have downed a drink next to Jimmy Doohan in Chicago.

I spent some time with George Takei, once: he seemed like a stand-up guy.

I don't know if he remembers it, but I had Michael Dorn sign one of my headshots, once.

I stumped Vic Mignogna at ACEN a few years ago. I went with my daughters: my eldest is a fan like her father. She's just an anime fan, is all. :bolian:

I kind of stopped going to them after they got so commercialized. Fan-run cons are still the best.

Anyway, the timing of the release of these episodes has caused something to happen to me that hasn't occurred in forty years:

I saw my favorite show last week, and I'm looking forward to seeing it this week.

Now, don't get me wrong, TNG and the later shows were often brilliant and about half of the movies were great.

But they weren't my favorite show. My favorite show has been and always will be Star Trek.

From their prior episodes, it should be obvious that both of these productions are making Star Trek. They understand the heart that is Star Trek (unlike some people I could mention that are just making action schlock).

In any case, after STTMP, I never expected to see my favorite show one week and then look forward to the next. That's not happened since TAS, in 1974.

Forty years. No wonder I feel like a kid again. :)

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the pointer! I just watched "Lolani" and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. This episode would have kicked off an avalanche of 1970s fan fiction, and it may do so yet.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Moving to Fan Productions...the mods there can merge with the existing thread if they wish.

:techman: