Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

It's a nice idea, I hope you are able to post more of your work some time. Approaching the project from a "re-imagined" or perhaps "idealised" direction does give a lot more freedom, to be sure. My problem if I did that would not knowing where to draw the line! ;)

In the novelisation of TMP, the foreword (written by Captain Kirk himself) speaks of certain inaccuracies in the portrayal of his 5 year mission in the media. Perhaps your ship would be closer to the "real" Enterprise, in that interpretation?

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that's basically my idea. Initially, my plan was to arrange the ship exactly as seen on screen... but then came Cary L. Brown, Shaw, blssdwlf, and now Robert Comsol and Donny here, who are all doing such wonderful work in that area that I decided to go another direction. I look at other shows from the 1960s and see how submarines and navy ships are depicted on a television budget and wonder... what if the Enterprise existed and Star Trek was simply a 1960s era TV show trying to do it's best to put it onscreen? My philosophy is that the producers did a good job... better than most portrayals of navy hardware, but still had to cut corners to show things like, say, the theater space. So certain areas I'm keeping as per the show, but other areas, I'm expanding or slightly rearranging to made an "idealized" version.

Anyhow, one of these days I'll actually start my own thread about it.

To Donny, this is looking amazing. The props really bring it to life. I can't wait for the walkthrough!

--Alex

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!

I used the measurements that GSchnitzer provided in this post at the Star Trek: Phase II prop forum. The cards are 2.5 inches tall by 3.0 inches long by 0.25 inch thick.

Actually, I have to give credit to GSchnitzer for all the prop research he's made public through that particular forum. An invaluable reference! (He's done a fantastic job at replicating and tracking down the origin of all those props, too)

Thanks for pointing that out. When viewing the reference caps, I had passed off those silver strips as mere specular highlights! I should really have my eyes checked.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Huh...didn't realize that the "computer tapes" had beveled edges. Learn something new every day...

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Donny - Awesome and thanks *and thanks to GSchnitzer for his invaluable research!

6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Donny:

Colors of data cards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little better look at what is identified in scripts as a "Feinberger board:"

[​IMG]

(The white indicator light in the middle has the same profile as the red and amber indicators--and there's a black push button up by the red indicator in the left.)

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember where I first read it, but I rather like the term "slate" or "data slate" to identify the electronic clipboard Kirk signed upon occasion. It brings to mind either the old book sized chalk slates school children used in the first part of the 20th century and earlier, or the quaint "magic slate" toys still manufactured today. To me it seems the kind of term the production might have used in the 1960s.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Same with me. So the proper term is "hearing room", not "courtroom". GSchnitzer, please don't stop providing the script names, especially if its the "real" thing.

Regarding the benches, looks like I confused the Briefing Room 2 scenes from "Turnabout Intruder" (should this not have happened in the Hearing Room?) with the Briefing Room 2 scene from "Space Seed". :rolleyes:

Bob

9. GSchnitzer

Yes, it's "INT. HEARING ROOM" (as opposed to "Court Room") in "The Menagerie"--although "INT. COURT ROOM" is used on Stabase 11 in "Court Martial."

Interestingly, "INT. HEARING ROOM" only appears in "The Menagerie." All other legal mumbo jumbo scenes take place in the "INT. BRIEFING ROOM"--Mudd's hearing, Professor Crater's questioning, the reconvening of Kirk's culpable negligence court martial on board the Enterprise, the hearing against Khan and Marla McGivers (despite the flags and the table-top bell), Scott's ship-board "Jack the Ripper" trial, Kirk's addle-brained competency hearing, and Spock's mutiny "court martial" by Dr. Janice Lester.

I don't know why with the precedent of a "Hearing Room" in "The Menagerie," that future episodes with yadda yadda yadda legal scenes were scripted for the "INT. BRIEFING ROOM." My hunch is that folks just kind of forgot that it was actually an official "hearing room" re-dress and not just a "let's have a hearing in the briefing room" scene--which is close to (but not exactly) the same thing. Unless you're going to be making ship blueprints 45 years after the fact, I can see that subtle difference as not really mattering much to people.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  10. Robert Comsol

I feel that "Hearing Room" sounds like a nice Roddenberry touch where first and foremost the accused are heard ("hearing") before being judged ("court").

Since Khan and McGivers were neither "heard" or "judged" in "Space Seed" (essentially Kirk just gave them a choice) could explain why the nice terminology eroded further down the series.

Suffice to say that in my deck plans it's going to be the "hearing room" for "The Menagerie" and "Space Seed".

Which reminds me that I just published what I believe to be a final and optimal proposal for the layout of Main Deck 5.

Bob

11. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

wow

12. GSchnitzer

Well, if it weren't really a hearing, I wouldn't have put the glad and the bell. I would have made it look the Briefing Room. Here's a reminder of some of the dialogue:

"KIRK: This hearing is now in session. Under the authority vested in me by Starfleet Command, I declare all charges and specifications in this matter have been dropped....

"This hearing is closed."

13. Donny

When originally referencing the room in this thread, calling it the "Court Room" was a poor choice of words on my part anyway. I like "Hearing Room" much better.

14. Robert Comsol

@ GSchnitzer

Yes, the dialogue suggests a "hearing" but the accused didn't have an opportunity to say a word other than to pick their poison. In this particular case "court room" could have been applicable since Kirk does act as persecutor, judge and executor, maybe that's why I erroneously thought in my deck plan WIP (# 126) that "court room" would be the proper term. :devil:

@ Donny

Not necessarily poor choice of words (^^) but since we now know what the producers intended this room to be called, "hearing room" is obviously the accurate terminology (aren't we glad that Spock got a real "hearing" in "The Menagerie"?). ;)

Bob

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there was a "hearing" room, was there its counterpart, a "deaf" chamber? :lol:

I'm gonna' get pelted with rabid tribbles for that, aren't I?

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I think at this point, "court room" vs. "hearing room" is becoming more an issue of semantics than function.

Pick the one you like and get on with things.

17. Robert Comsol

Donny, take all the time you need, it's supposed to be fun, not about meeting deadlines.

In the meantime we can all examine the beautiful renderings Donny provided in detail. Maybe there's an item here or there we didn't notice last time. ;)

Bob

P.S. Just came across this: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/06/tr...e-enterprise-in-star-trek-ncc-1701-interview/

I rather wait for Donny's game as I'd really prefer a TOS game with surroundings that feel real because they are beautiful and accurate.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  18. Donny

Thanks for the supportive comment!

I really appreciate what those guys are doing, but I can't say that they've been very accurate.

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Hmm. If nothing else, Gambit Realm's proving it's possible now to recreate the entire full-sized TOS (and thus presumably the TMP) Enterprise inside a video game engine. Donny's proving such a recreation can look just as good as the original live-action sets, and Robert Comsol's and havoc 92's own separate "What Would Matt Jefferies/The Thermians Do" approaches to the interior structure is lending a surprising level of new depth and realism to what Jefferies did all those decades ago.

Eventually, maybe in the next five years, all four efforts are going to be combined/synthesized/built upon by somebody...and the results are going to be awe-inspiring.

20. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i tryed to get the star trek TOS demo and it will not load i don't have a light table so it stop loading. so i took it out i need to see how the game works. i am not into games. i would like to see a real star ship i can walk thru.