The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R - Stargazer redesign?

Yeah, that was definitely one of the more boring ship shots in all of TNG.

The only time I think it was used effectively was at the end of Conspiracy, where we see the ship slowly moving past a nebula in the background as that homing beacon echoes in the distance. Somehow that was creepy as all hell, and felt like just the most perfect way to end that episode.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x25/conspiracy271.jpg

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R - Stargazer redesign?

My one big complaint, and one big wish was the fixing of ship scaling, I hope they can manage to do it.

RAMA

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nope, that was intentional. They upped the base size so it would be considered a starbase. Personally I would prefer a new CGI model, but the CGI knee jerkers would have a fit.

RAMA

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is really a great time for Trek in general and only getting better.

RAMA

5. davejames

I'd be okay with using the same basic design, if they could just add a lot more detail to the thing. Because at that immense scale, the existing model just doesn't work.

6. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that shot filmed in a single pass? Without the separate elements, rescaling just one ship would have been impossible. Not a problem for other shots that are comped together separately.

EDIT: Do correct me, I probably am wrong. It's unlikely the ships would have been the correct relative size to film in one pass anyway. Just a thought, though.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They were filmed separately. They don't film elements together like that...and if proof is needed, I'd point you to the numerous times they used that same Ent-D footage without the Excelsior. :)

That said, I really doubt there will be any resizing. If there is, it'll be subtle. (Such as the several shots of the 'Farpoint' ship on the viewscreen, where it was repositioned and had the hull lighting effects re-timed.)

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Maybe I'm missing something, but these two shots are different shots. On the right you can see the upper side of the secondary hull, which is not visible at all in the image to the left.

9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

When did the TNG-R project start?

I just came across this yesterday about TNG-R from someone in the film/TV industry:

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/...e-next-generation/page__pid__99915#entry99915

So that means 2009. The same year that the TOS-R blu-rays were released along with a successful reboot of the franchise with a feature film. The CBS home video executives were thinking a few years ahead for product on this property.
    This has me thinking more about not just the TNG-R but also DS9 going the same route immediately after they are complete with all the seasons of TNG. the other reason is Blu-ray sales of physical discs is limited before physical disc sales will fall off and be replaced with downloads by the majority of the home video consumers in 5-10 years.
    How cool that CBS bid out a few companies with say 10 minutes of film to telecine and remaster to try out companies and get bids on this massive project. Companies like technicolor do restorations of old catalog feature films all the time. The VFX creation nature of this though needed a large group of post people committed for about 4 years.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I continue to find the estimates regarding 'the death of physical media' to be questionable.

Remember the paperless office?

Exactly. :)

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, I'm very sceptical when it comes to physical media being completely phased out within five to ten years.

As to the ship scaling, there are clear examples of bad scaling like with the starbases but the other shots fall a little more into a grey area IMO. That shot of the Stargazer and the E-D could very well have the Stargazer in the foreground making it seem like it's bigger than it actually is. That's how I've always viewed it anyway.

The starbase scale errors are pretty hard to ignore though. I picked up on them right away on first run when I was just 15.

12. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

What we have to look forward to in season one...;)

'Code of Honor'
    [​IMG]

'The Last Outpost'
    [​IMG]

:lol:

What color is that uniform? Fuschia and wine?

I was just going through a few screencaps to remind myself of what the effects shots were and how different the colors were in that first season. I was so impressed with how new the show felt with EaF remastered. From the color standpoint, the episodes are going to seem so fresh with the Blu-ray release. Any speculation on what the month of release might be?

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Let's see if it still looks weird or if they'll work on it some more. (Seeing as it's the same model shot as the 'transferring phaser energy' one from Farpoint.)

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm more concerned that they'll keep the torpedoes exploding in orbit instead of 1000 meters above the surface.

15. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hate the photons they used in the series... I loved the one seen in GENERATIONS. A shame they won't change those.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  16. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

It looks so good because that's a full spread of torpedoes compressed into the space of one, so no wonder it glows more! :rofl:

17. davejames

Well the Excelsior was always accepted to be a bit bigger than the other 23rd century ships (and has such a different design), that it never really looked that strange to me being the same size as the Ent-D.

And looking at Probert's size chart on this page, it doesn't really look that far off from what we see on screen:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/excelsior-size.htm

18. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Just watched Encounter at Farpoint. WOW! I was blown away. It literally brought a tear to my eye at one point. It's like re-living the past in HD! Looking so forward to revisiting the whole series.

19. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I was thinking today that the period costumes and film-noir type lighting used in The Big Goodbye will probably look really good in High-def.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder when we'll get new preview screenshots and an updated trailer?

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Do we have a release date for season 1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.