Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

That is a long damn time.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Thanks for posting that Defcon :)

4. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

While reading through the Lit-Verse site, a question came to mind, where should I start with the TOS books? Are they not 'interconnected' like the TNG/DS9/etc books are?

5. Paris

Wherever you want. There is no real 'interconnected-ness' other than minor shoutouts in the TOS books. The Vanguard series, as well as the upcoming Seekers series, take place during the same rough time period as TOS, and THEY are interconnected.

6. Last Redshirt

Alright. I'm reading Vanguard at the moment (which is amazing, albeit a bit difficult to visualize at times) and I'm looking to see what else I can pick up in regards to Trek books.

What's this Seeker series, might I ask?

7. Paris

Seekers is a new series coming from David Mack, Dayton Ward, and Kevin Dilmore, the three writers behind Vanguard (minus Marco Palmieri this time :( ). The series follows two ships (the Endeavour & the Sagitarius) that were a part of the Vanguard series in the time after Vanguard ended. According to Mr. Mack, the series kicks off in 2269. To say much more may spoil Vanguard for you. The first book comes out in a week or two, while the second one is out the last week of August :)

8. Last Redshirt

Sounds good. I'm still on Harbinger, so I've got some way to go. It's a very well-written book so far, even though, as I said, it's a bit hard to visualize the areas of the station at times.

A bit unrelated, but, are there any books that I should pick up from each of the series? I'm definitely going to see if I can find the A Time To Be Born to begin my journey into the expanded universe, but, I want to know if there's anything else I should look into.

9. Paris

Oh so many! Check out the flowchart attached to Thrawn's signature in post #377 near the top of the page. So many fantastic books...

10. Last Redshirt

Yeah, I've got that bookmarked. Are there any in specific that you would recommend? Doesn't matter if they are from a series or a stand-alone book.

11. Paris

That I would recommend? There are quite a few actually...

I loved the Vanguard series, which you are tackling now.

I'm a big fan of the 24th century continuing stories like the DS9 relaunch, the Voyager relaunch, and the post-Nemesis TNG books. My favs from each run are Full Circle (VOY), Abyss (DS9), and Losing the Peace (TNG). I also highly recommend the Destiny trilogy by David Mack if you like the 24th century crews.

In terms of 'single' books, a few of my favs are Articles of the Federation and A Singular Destiny, both by Keith R.A. DeCandido.

I also love the Lost Era books, which are unified only by the fact that they take place between 2293 and 2364. Serpents Among the Ruins by DRG3, Art of the Impossible by KRAD, and The Buried Age by Christopher L. Bennett are my top choices.

I would recommend all of these books, and I'm sure everyone else who hangs out here regularly has their own choices as well. Good luck with whatever you choose. Hopefully you take an interest in some of the ones I mentioned here :techman:

12. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Have the novels ever given a specific date in 2265 as the starting date for the 5YM of TOS?

13. Last Redshirt

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely consider picking up the ones you've suggested. The relaunch ones, I think I might wait off until after I've trodded through Vanguard and the A Time To.. series.

I do have one of the Lost Era books, with the Excelsior, I think. I think it might be the one that ties into that one Titan book, where they go into the neighboring galaxy.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's probably best to leave that up in the air, given all the inconsistent information. But my assumption is that while Kirk took command of the E in 2265, the 5-year mission proper did not begin until late '65 or early '66. Before then, the ship was on other, shorter missions such as the probe to the rim of the galaxy. After all, a dedicated mission that long would've taken months and wouldn't make sense as part of a general 5-year patrol/survey tour. And the ship was refit between the second pilot and the series, and that's something you'd expect to fall between missions rather than during one.

(It's also borne out by the alternate reality. Abramsverse Kirk commanded the ship for roughly two years -- including a fair amount of time with the ship under repairs -- before setting out on a 5-year mission.)

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey Last Redshirt. Thanks for checking out my site. The TOS books have never been as interconnected as the 24th century books so you could start with any of them and not really miss anything so long as you are familiar with TOS and the films. Some of my recommendations though would be Burning Dreams, Mere Anarchy, Ex Machina, Forgotten History,the Rihanssu series, and Forged in Fire.

You could also do what I did when I read through about 40 of the most important TOS books. I picked the ones I wanted to read and did them in chronological order. I mostly picked stuff the filled in gaps like Pike books, My Brother's Keeper, The Lost Years saga, and movie era books.

Good luck getting into Trek Lit. Lots of fun in store.

16. Paris

That's The Sundered. It's set in 2298. I was a fan of that one as well. I also liked The Red King (the 'sequel') from Titan. Both written by Andy Mangels & Michael Martin. If you want to read some Excelsior stories, i'd also check out Excelsior: Forged in Fire (Also by M&M) set in 2290 & 2295, and The Captain's Daughter by Peter David, set in 2294. Those will also lead into the DRG3 Enterprise-B books from the Lost Era.

So much :eek:!!

17. Last Redshirt

Yeah, I've read some of the Titan ones as well. They weren't that bad.

Now what are some books that you would recommend that I avoid?

18. Paris

Avoid? Well, I don't like to shit on the work of our hard working writers... but a few I've not been too enamoured with are the TNG 2 part Maximum Warp series, the Genesis Wave 4 book run, Titan's Fallen Gods, and the Typhon Pact story Seize the Fire. I also found the TOS New Earth books kind of hard to get into, but YMMV on those..

19. Travis Chesser

Travis Chesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry if this has already been asked or answered but I haven't on the BBS in awhile. Do we have a month and year for when Lust's Latinum Lost takes place? Thanks all.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched the TNG episode Homeward this morning, and it got me wondering, has any story ever said anything about what became of Nikolai after the end of the episode?