TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 21, 2012.

?

Rate The Persistence of Memory.

1. Outstanding

71 vote(s)
    55.5%
  2. Above Average

43 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

I just finished this book and I'm so overwhelmed with emotions.

Joy and happiness that Data, or a new form of Data, is alive again.

Grief over Jasminder's senseless death (I, too, was reminded of Tasha).

Anger over Emil/Flint/Akharin stealing Juliana's love from Noonien, or rather, I felt Noonien's ardent jealousy.

Pride and admiration over Noonien's second life story and ultimate sacrifice.

Surprise over Data's decision to not rejoin Starfleet but to start a different life.

Shock and curiosity at Data's decision to search for answers that could revive Lal.

This was a thrilling story, a fascinating character study for Noonien Soong, and an incredible continuation to one of my absolute favorite Star Trek novels, Immortal Coil. Seeing Noonien's second life, driven by love for Juliana, for Data, for B-9, for his "miscarriage" prototypes, for even Lore was a wonderful experience to read. I was less enthralled by the typical runabout, but it was a necessary means to an end: The revival of Data.

Even though I predicated fairly early on how Data would return, I was nevertheless excited and thrilled to read the moment come true. Noonien's farewell and sacrifice left me in tears as did Data's farewell to Geordi and his life with Starfleet. I can't wait to read Silent Weapons (good thing I already have it) and I hope Will and Deanna have at least a cameo so we can see their happiness at Data's return.

2. Sherlock09

Sherlock09 Cadet Newbie

This is one of the best starts to a trilogy I have read since Destimy. Data's return was set up in Nemesis, The temptation would be to have Data back in service onboard the Enterprise, but David Mack does a clever thing by having new Data not sure of what his role is. Great work mr Mack and I look forward to readinig the next two books.

3. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, since this is an ongoing trilogy, the story Mack wants to tell ends with book 3 - plenty of time for Data to return to the fold... I don't expect him to stay away from the Enterprise, maybe stay on as a civilian consultant etc, but it makes no sense to "revive" him and then to keep him apart from TNG. Except of course, if TPTB plan a new series about Data and his adventures (which I'd actually pick up, contrary to the TNG-relaunch of which I've only read Destiny and now PoM and that only because of my curiousity regarding Data *g*).

Edit 2012/12/13:

Yesterday evening I finished PoM. It took me a while to read this novel because for me, especially the first half of Soong's "monologue" dragged on quite a bit. It got better, though, when Soong shifted his focus from his own needs and wants to his sons', and especially after the news of Data's death. Then he really grew a heart and soul, and became more than just a creator of extraordinary life-forms, willing to ultimately sacrifice everything his children.

So, in a sense, the monologue did its job in portraying Soong's shift in perception and motivation, but its length and the 1st-person PoV just didn't quite work for me.

On to the Enterprise-part: As said above, I haven't read any of the relaunch-novels except Destiny - and I wasn't really thrilled by the E-E-parts in that trilogy, either. Maybe because (except Picard) there're no longer any of my favourite characters on the Enterprise, maybe because I didn't know all the background of the new characters up to Destiny... I don't know. Choudhury's death didn't really affect me at all. In that situation it was obvious that she'd be the one who'd be killed because she's not a canon character where any studio/PTB etc could oppose her death for franchise-reasons. I regard any of the characters created exclusively for TrekLit as red-shirts, so, maybe that's another reason why I rarely form any attachments to those characters (the exceptions are Keru, Vaughn, and the captain of the research ship of the fleet in Children of the Storm - his name escapes me right now), come to think about it...

So, to sum it up, I was a bit underwhelmed up until the 90%-mark of the novel (read it on my Kindle). But I simply *loved* Data's return. Soong's sacrifice, the way Data didn't want him so sacrifice himself, the joy, especially Picard's and Geordi's, at seeing Data again, Data's doubts about who he now is... that was simply perfect.

Despite all his strengths, Data now is as fallible and perhaps torn as everyone else. And that offers plenty of opportunities to explore him. For example, to what lengths will he go in order to revive Lal? Will he step over the line now in order to get Vaslovik to at least spill how he revived Julianna?

So, consider me hooked at least for the remaining parts of Cold Equations.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

Ho Hum...another AMAZING book by David Mack. It truely was a fantastic read, and didnt have a standard format, which was a welcome change. I loved finding out the backstory for Soong, and was honestly shocked when Jasminder bit the dust. In fact, I had to go back and reread it a couple times to realize exactly what happened. Good god Worf has relationship issues...he reminds me of Janine Turners character from Northern Exposure where all her boyfriends die in strange ways...one even gets hit by a falling satellite.

This ranks up there with Warpath, Destiny, and Wildfire, and is a must read for any Trek fan. Who's the hater that gave this book a 'poor' or 'below average' rating?? The votes should be pubic.

5. aventinelover

aventinelover Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow....just Wow! I read, a Lot, and a wide variety of genres, but Trek has always been my favorite, from watching TOS in afternoon reruns in the 70's, and then learning to read on the original Gold Key Comics. But I digress. The point is, with how much I read, it takes a LOT to make me react.

And Mr. Mack, this book made me react, physically, and uncontrollably, with grief, when Jasminder died so suddenly and unexpectedly but as many do in war, even undeclared ones. But then, with complete and total JOY when Data came back...I still can't stop smiling and it makes me feel good all over.

Thank you, for a spectacular and magnificent read. I hope you write for a long, LONG time!! WOW!!:bolian:

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I finally starteds reading this book last night I really like the in with Jeffrey Lang's novel Immortal coil.I've only read a few chapters of this book and can't to see how the crew finds B-4 and the other Androids.And why the Typhon pact wanted to destroy 'Maxwell's computer records about Androids.

7. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Late to the party(again).
    Another excellent read from David Mack(as if we expected anything else).
    I was not at all surprised to hear of Data's potential return,as others have said,it was almost telegraphed during Nemesis but Mr.Mack has done a great job,making it a plausible and emotional resurrection(no pun intended).

Personally I just don't have the mental energy to even contemplate reading about Janeway's return but I'm really looking forward to the next installment in Data's story.Perhaps a full return to active Starfleet duty might negate much of what David established about Soong's philosophy but surely Data wasn't revived to only make cameo appearances.
    As for Worf(a character that I usually despise)David Mack actually made me feel that at long last Worf is changing,growing(through tragedy)into perhaps a more measured,understandable man.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm only halfway throught his book I like the backstory of Noonien Soon and the flash back to tv and episodes mentioning Data.I can't wait to see how they bring Data back in this book.:techman:

9. flandry84

Seeing as Jasminder Choudhury has been replaced by Lt.Smrhova(great character),may I ask what became of Rennan Konya?

And a question,security officer Giudice....prounounced Ju-diss or ju dee chee?

10. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

From Memory Beta:

"Following the end of the crisis, Konya took his leave on Betazed. During the early days after the invasion, he suffered from post traumatic stress and survivor's guilt, and requested an extended leave before the Enterprise had completed its repairs and relaunched. This extension was denied and he returned to the Enterprise, where he continued counseling under Hegol Den"

11. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

His name is pronounced juh-DEECE. He was named in honor of a close friend of mine.

12. flandry84

Thank you,David.
    Excellent book mate.I'm just about to start book 2.

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just got around to this one. Really good first book to a trilogy; surprisingly well done.

Nasat did a really great post a while back about the strange cognitive dissonance between generally not supporting character resurrection but also generally approving of these two stories; it's odd. Well done Beyer and Mack.

I'm absolutely fascinated to see what comes of Data next. I'm glad the next two books are already out!

14. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

I'm on the other side of the fence. Regardless of how well they're dont I'm finished with resurrecting previously dead characters. I'm reminded of a Futurama episode where Bender discovers he doesn't have a back-up unit like he thought he did. When he's dead, he's dead. Futurama's brought characters back from the dead before, mostly thanks to Professor Farnsworth but the bit with Bender discovering he's actually not immortal was really well done.

Compare that to the whole "Janeway's back because she's really, really important" (ignoring the 60 billion dead from Destiny who apparently aren't important). Janeway's got a "Get Out of Death Free" card now.

Why should we care if any of these characters die? If they're important (i.e. get their names in the credits) they'll be back.

15. Thrawn

This isn't a judgement one way or another; I think your point is pretty valid. I'm just curious - have you read either of the books in question, or is this a more philosophical thing?

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Complaining about this sort of stuff in corporate fiction is like complaining that McDonalds burgers are standard.

17. RPJOB

I've decided that I'll read the book where a character is resurrected, just so I can speak directly to it. However, I won't be picking up any further books that have the resurrected characters in them. They're well written to be sure but I have no interest in reading about immortals for whom death is a minor setback. At least in TSFS and TVH there was a period of time where Spock had to recover. Janeway basically came back and stepped right back into her old position. She might as well have been away on shore leave for all the lingering effects coming back from the dead had on her.

Data's a special case, being an android and all but it's still annoying. Now that he's metged with Soong, someone who took steps to avoid his own death, you'd think he'd be working on a way to keep a back up of his hardware and software, just in case.

18. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

The latest contributions to "Cast the Characters of Trek Literature" led me one big spoiler.
    It had me thinking, "Can't Worf catch a break?" along with the reminder that Q said in "Q&A" that the Enterprise-E goes through security chiefs like Janeway goes through hairstyles.

19. Thrawn

He has other priorities first, but yeah.

In general, I think I'd have agreed with all of this before I read these two books but... hm. Let me see if this makes sense.

IF these were only book series, and there wasn't any obvious difference in importance between the TV show people and the novel-original people, I think I wouldn't have any objection to these two stories at all. They both make complete internal sense (which I wouldn't have ever thought possible with Janeway, but Beyer is just brilliant).

KNOWING that the TV characters and novel characters are different, it's irritating that I know the original character deaths are permanent but that TV characters almost certainly won't die and, if they do, they'll come back eventually. But that's external to the logic of the stories themselves, which track surprisingly well.

Does that make any sense? I feel like my only objection here is meta-fictional, but the novels themselves kick ass.

20. RPJOB

In one of the Shatnerverse novels there's a convention of people who have travelled through time. How long before people who were once dead are numerous enough to have one as well?

"I remember once when I died..."

"Hey, I've been dead before too!"

"Wow, small world. We should have a convention sometime. Swap stories with other former deaders"

Would the SCE story Wildfire have the same emotional impact that it did of we knew that Kieran Duffy would be returning? Good thing for the story that while he was a canon character he was also a minor one.